• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats wrong with bottled water?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Bottled water has been banned in public goverment buildings here. Why? don't quiet know. To many granola crunchers that like tap water?? it's retarded. Theres this huge stainless steel water canister fad going on. Whats the matter with these people?

wow, not even
SN68082893.jpg

??

lame

i doubt this has anything to do with it, and I don't know if you've heard of nalgene bottles (favored by outdoors people and the bottles are indestructable practically) but apparantly they contain some chemical that has been known to cause cancer. The chemical was found way back in the 1800's. It is also found in baby bottles and other containers. This same chemical is also in the lining of canned food and other household items. Do a little research on it and you'll find out more. But yea the shit is crazy! I still drink out of my nalgene though! Just another topic trying to scare the American people.

Cost. Why pay for a water service when there is nothing wrong with Tap water?

Governments need to balance their budgets and better by cutting back on a "nice to have" than either wages, benefits or layoffs.

Lot of waste, tap water is regulated and probably cleaner/better for you. I'm guilty of drinking a lot of bottled water, but I refill them and we just started recycling. By "we" I mean our city, which I'm happy about, got a second trash can for just recyclable materials.

Boatwrench said:
Cost. Why pay for a water service when there is nothing wrong with Tap water?

Governments need to balance their budgets and better by cutting back on a "nice to have" than either wages, benefits or layoffs.
I don't think he said it was water the Government bought. It sounded like bottled watter all together.

I can see the Gvnmt not paying but if you can't bring your own...well thats just stupid.

Seattle just did a similar thing. The problem was not with bottled water, but bottled water that the city purchased for their employees. I think it saves like $300,000 per year by doing away with it.

There's no ban on bringing you own water, just don't expect Uncle Washington to pay for it. Good policy, IMHO.

-----Matt-----

I've never heard of ANY government entity feeding their employees on the taxpayer's tab unless its for travel. But yes, carcinogens have been found in some plastics that are used to contain everything from vitamins to beverages and even the plastics used to coat kids molars to protect them from cavities. Pretty scarey stuff if you ask me.

I don't buy bottled water for work but do bring my filtered tap water in a jug that I bring from home. I have a Purex water filter on my kitchen faucet. I don't know if its removing anything harmful but the water definitely tastes better having been filtered.

IXNAYXJ said:
Seattle just did a similar thing. The problem was not with bottled water, but bottled water that the city purchased for their employees. I think it saves like $300,000 per year by doing away with it.

There's no ban on bringing you own water, just don't expect Uncle Washington to pay for it. Good policy, IMHO.

-----Matt-----
Well if that's the case good! Let the employees get their own bottled water. Again, as has been mentioned, with the economy the way it is, Businesses need to do everything possible to keep their employees employed.

don't forget it takes oil to make those bottles, maybe they figure if we boycott the plastic it will bring down gas prices........I would recommend carpet bombing india and china, reduce competition for resources:piratefla

Like Ramsey said, its probably to do with the waste. Fewer water bottls means less trash means fewer trips by the trashman means less money paid to the waste management company. A lot of places by the dumpster load for trash pickup.

i've always heard that to release the carcinogens from the plastic the bottle has to be reused and frozen before it poses any risk

My town just recently passed this type of law too, El Paso. I think its a good law. I've got a filtered system at home and when I go to work I take a jug with me. If people at local governments what special water bring it from, and pay for it out of your own pocket.
It also does cut down on waste, yes a lot of towns recycle now, but that doesn't mean everyone throws the bottle into the recycle bin. Also think about how much fuel is used by the distrubtor to move that water from place to place.
And honestly, do you think that water in a bottle is anything other than Tap Water that maybe have been filtered a few more times.

H8PVMT said:
don't forget it takes oil to make those bottles,
That may be the case here, a couple towns close-by have banned the use of plastic shopping bags and have gone to giving a small discount for cotton bags or using paper bags. This area is full of eccentric,snootie,hippie,budgie,envirometalist type people,and they all eat granola

Do the math
Tap water - $4.00 per thousand gallons
Bottled water - $2.00 per liter.
It's an easy way for Govmt's to trim budgets.
We made the local vending company take the bottled water out of our vending machine. Just what I need. Visitors can come to my treatment plant and see water in the vending machine. Nothing instills confidence in the public like seeing bottled water sold at the source for their tap water!

Did you guys know the bottled water industry practically regulates itself. Yeah makes me fill safe.
Read the label. Many of them are simply repackaged municipal water that has been put through filters or mambranes.

Back