• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who is running Rough Country Adjustable control Arms/Drop brackets at 4.5 inches? l

99xjclassic

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering who is running this set-up.
I have the Rough country 4.5 inch series x lift kit I purchased through Grimus (who by the way has been by far the absolute best customer service relation I have ever had)
Anyways, I was installing my control arm drop brackets and realized my rough country control arms absolutly will not crank in to stock measurements as required according to directions. They are off by about an inch. I dissassembled them and cleaned out ALL the grease. Still no luck. I even measured them EYE to EYE while apart. From what I see it is impossible for these arms to thread in that far. Has anybody running this arms ran into this situiation? If so, what was your solution.
This post is not to bash RC. I have had nothing but postive experience with this company through Jason (Grimus99xj). I am very happy with the LIft kit and components. I would reccommend RC products to anyone. Just trying to gather some info.
Thanks everybody for taking the time to read and respond!

Re: Who is running Rough Country Adjustable control Arms/Drop brackets at 4.5 inches? l

Uh, why not just run your stock control arms with the drop brackets? That's what I'm doing.

You could always save the adjustable ones for if/when you go with a bigger lift.

Re: Who is running Rough Country Adjustable control Arms/Drop brackets at 4.5 inches? l

Tommy4949 said:
Uh, why not just run your stock control arms with the drop brackets? That's what I'm doing.

You could always save the adjustable ones for if/when you go with a bigger lift.
Well, because I already lifted it months ago and sold my upper stock control arms. I thought about buying some stock uppers and just running the stock.
I was curious because the Rough Country control arms are supposed to adjust down to stock length. And wanted to know who else ran into this problem.

Last edited:

I would call Grimus and ask him.. He is a great guy to deal with..I adjusted mine longer than what it said by a 1.5''..Was the only way i could get my uppers on, just worked out for me.. I have the 6.5 on mine

99xjclassic said:
Well, because I already lifted it months ago and sold my upper stock control arms. I thought about buying some stock uppers and just running the stock.
I was curious because the Rough Country control arms are supposed to adjust down to stock length. And wanted to know who else ran into this problem.

Oh. Too bad you are so far away. I would give you mine if you helped me take the axle out of my parts Jeep and put it back in my running XJ :D

scottmcneal said:
I would call Grimus and ask him.. He is a great guy to deal with..I adjusted mine longer than what it said by a 1.5''..Was the only way i could get my uppers on, just worked out for me.. I have the 6.5 on mine
I did talk to Jason earlier. He was un aware of any others having this issue. I just wanted to see if it was the design of the arms, or if for some reason mine are a defect.

Bryson said:
Just get the castor right with the shortest possible length, and you might have an inch or so of wheel base stretch to boot. Get an alignment, and call it good. :)
I thought about that, but my sway bar disco's would hit my coil spring.

I ran my adjustables in as fas as they would go and about 1/8" off, I have the 6.5 though w/db's, not sure how you would get 4.5" adjustable arms even close??

MTY Mouse said:
I ran my adjustables in as fas as they would go and about 1/8" off, I have the 6.5 though w/db's, not sure how you would get 4.5" adjustable arms even close??
That is the problem I am having. I cant even get the arms close to stock measurements

99xjclassic said:
Just wondering who is running this set-up.
I have the Rough country 4.5 inch series x lift kit I purchased through Grimus (who by the way has been by far the absolute best customer service relation I have ever had)
Anyways, I was installing my control arm drop brackets and realized my rough country control arms absolutly will not crank in to stock measurements as required according to directions. They are off by about an inch. I dissassembled them and cleaned out ALL the grease. Still no luck. I even measured them EYE to EYE while apart. From what I see it is impossible for these arms to thread in that far. Has anybody running this arms ran into this situiation? If so, what was your solution.
This post is not to bash RC. I have had nothing but postive experience with this company through Jason (Grimus99xj). I am very happy with the LIft kit and components. I would reccommend RC products to anyone. Just trying to gather some info.
Thanks everybody for taking the time to read and respond!

So you are trying to use the control arms that came with the 4.5" kit with the drop brackets? I'm asking this because I'm going to be getting the drop brackets as well, and I have the same lift

I had the 4.5 inch kit with non adjustable lowers, and when I added my drop brackets I kept the non adjustable lowers, and everything is just fine. My axle is still well within spec, so I am guessing if you just adjust them all the way in, and get both lowers the same length, then most likely you will be fine.

I'm running into this same problem with a 4.5 RE kit and drop brackets. Haven't run it around or had it aligned yet, but I will reply in a few days. I'd rather have the adjustable lowers though.

dont know how the RC arms adjust or how they work mechanically, but i had a set of RE adjustable arms that were too long for my application. all i did was cut about 1" off of the part of the arm(male) that threaded into the other part(female).

Well I just installed them today. The farthest the arms would adjust in was 16 1/4 " for the lowers and 15 1/2 " for the uppers.
The specs call for 15 3/4 " for the lowers and 15" for the uppers.
So I am 1/2 inch out of spec
My axle is pushed way way foward now. My coil spring is rubbing on the tracbar bracket(as seen in pic) and my shocks have a nice slant to them.
I guess I might have to cut these arms?

dropbrackets004.jpg

Last edited:

Anyone have any suggestions about cutting these arms.
I was told to thread a nut on before I started cutting, that way when I am finished, I can back the nut off to clean up the threads?
Should I use a air cutt-off? Any suggestions? Thanks

i used a saw-zaw for mine and had the jam nut threaded onto the arm and backed it off after the cut to clean up the threads after the cut.

Back