• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

greasy axles.

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
I couldn't figure out if this was really tech.

Im curious what everyones favorite degreaser is?

I have to paint a couple housings and Im lazy. Whats the best stuff to get that built on, caked on gunk off?

Steam cleaner works best in my experience. If you can find a car wash that will let you do it, the high pressure spray works pretty good. Then brake cleaner to remove the remaining oil film.

I've never had much luck with the degreasers from the auto parts stores. They just don't seem to be strong enough to cut through the buildup.

Simple Green,Greased Lightning or that purple castrol de-greaser will get the light stuff but the baked on stuff requires elbow grease.Putty knife and some scotch brite pads.

Wayne

I'll second the pressure washer, for the least amount of effort.

Just please tell me you're not painting them yellow.

SBrad001 said:
Engine Brite, and brake cleaner.

x2 wire wheel the big thick stuff it's it's clumpy like junk yard gunk on it. Then hit it with that engine brite stuff let sit for o about a beer or two then just hose it off. I use those little wire hand brushes from harbor freight for like a buck. then finish it off if need be with teh brake cleaner to help prep for primer and paint.

if you can get the steam shark away from the wife that thing does pretty well on top of using the other stuff.

Last edited:
Full strenghth full smell oven cleaner. Don't get the enviromentally freindly stuff but the regular full smell kind. Just over a buck a can at wallmart and will clean down to bare steel in spots. Let it set a while and whach your skin and eyes because it eats them up too. Gloves, eye protection and a dust mask will be your freind but it's worth the hassle because it cleans best.

DrMoab said:
No, they will be regular old boring black.

You should at least consider hot pink (ZacSquatch style)

Engine brite seems to work well, but you need to plant the thing in the sun and get it pretty warm then spray it on, scrub with a stiff brush. Aircraft stripper does a good job too, I had to do a couple of bumpers, sway bar, this past summer for the TJ and needed to strip the finish off. Don't stand downwind if you use the spray, that stuff is painful on skin.
Laquer thinner works well too as does prepsol. For rust, 3m pads in a drill or those funny stripper pads in the drill work well too once you get all the soft crap off.

Im surprised no one has mentioned using a portable siphon sandblaster. Mine works pretty good at getting the heavy grease off. I blast it then spray it off with degreaser, pressure wash it and its pretty much clean.

Ray H said:
Im surprised no one has mentioned using a portable siphon sandblaster. Mine works pretty good at getting the heavy grease off. I blast it then spray it off with degreaser, pressure wash it and its pretty much clean.
That entails buying a compressor which I have no real need for. I don't even keep my half empty cans of rattle paint after I'm done with a job, out they go.

Stump's oven cleaner idea is very good...I use it to clean motorcycle cases.

Simple Green is some impressive stuff...

I once cleaned a really greasy engine block with burnt on oil stains inside to looking like new aluminum using dollar store orange citrus all purpose cleaner...stuff was a freak of nature!

RichP said:
For rust, 3m pads in a drill or those funny stripper pads in the drill work well too once you get all the soft crap off.

but you can get a bit carried away with them 3M pads on an angle grinder..........:)

before:

axle1.jpg

after:

stripped1.jpg

primered:

primed.jpg

finished :) :

brakelines.jpg

Back