• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

toyota 8 inch swap.

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
well, went to the local pnp and got a rear 8 inch from a 4 runner. width measured 58.5. picked it up for 50 bucks because no 3rd member. they pull the 3rds as soon as they come in, and not wanting to spend 600 on a 96 up, i bought it. i did measure, its gunna be tight but it may work. it is set up for coil, but i will cut all the brackets off and set up fo leafs. also going to do a rear disk conversion using rodeo 44 disks. this will give a stock rear brake setup with 6x5.5 bp as well as a parking brake. pictures to come.

I wanted to do this but it didn't seem possible. Be sure to post a lot of pics. You are probably going to have .5" of clearance with the spring pads. IIRC XJ is 46" CP to CP

it is. when i was measuring yesterday on the 8inch for some reason i thought it was 48 and i was like its to narrow. i was relieved that i measured wrong and i could still make it work. it will be tight. i did read someone else did it and it was tight and it worked. i looked on the cherokee and it doesnt seem that .75 narrow on each side will make a hige difference. i will be running disks tho, so i think ill be ok. how wide are the cherokee springs?

2.5"
Center the diff. take measurements for 46" Center Pin width and post up the results please :D

I wanted to do this with the disk brake conversion, currently have caddy calipers in stock at work for this very reason. Well at least one side :thumbup:

i will be using the rodeo dana 44 rear disks hopefully. same bolt pattern as the toy and the 30/44 hybrid im building for the front. im actually thinking of retubing the toy housing if i can find some cheap tubing for it. widen it to the newer width and use 96 up shafts. just posted on pirate about it hoping someone there has done it.

tomorrow i will get some pics of the housing. i might be rethinkng plans if it is too narrow to swap in. mayb ill just shave the 8.25 gear it and lock it. i wanna try this tho, pics coming tomorrow!

we finally got one picture. i purchased a thrid memeber from a 4cyl truck 4.10 gears and open diff from a member on pirate. its on it way from CA. i will start cleaning up the housing when i get the third that way i keep all the crap out of the houding. i will be rebuilding the diff with a master overhaul kit, 4.56 gears and an aussie locker.
housing:
034.jpg

You can also see parts in the background for the front hybrid too. 44 outers 30 center section.

Toyota parts on a Jeep:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :hang: Shame on you!! Kids these days, no loyalty to the good ole:us: !! Our dollar is worth less and our economy is failing and you wonder why!! A sell out is a sell out!!:looser:

ColoradoRaptor said:
Toyota parts on a Jeep:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :hang: Shame on you!! Kids these days, no loyalty to the good ole:us: !! Our dollar is worth less and our economy is failing and you wonder why!! A sell out is a sell out!!:looser:
look for the tag that says made in: on anything you own. chances are it wasnt made here. i hate the fact that when you buy something it comes from china or india or somewhere else. a lot of stuff i try to buy american but there is so litgtle out there and when u do find it its an arm and a leg.

2000bluexj said:
well, more ground clearance than the other swaps out there and just as strong o yea and different.

Lets take a poll on that!! I would love to hear the debate on this one!!! Different YES but when your done you will have a Jacko.......:twak: !! Your Heep, Your Money...........

2000bluexj said:
look for the tag that says made in: on anything you own. chances are it wasnt made here. i hate the fact that when you buy something it comes from china or india or somewhere else. a lot of stuff i try to buy american but there is so litgtle out there and when u do find it its an arm and a leg.

YES my point exactly!! Nobody cares anymore ie Declining economy and worthless dollar!! It is really sad, people would rather save a FEW dollars and buy MADE SOMEWHEREELSE than spend a FEW MORE and support american workers. :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

Mosephus said:
No offense, but todays Toyota is almost more american made than the big 3,:bs: unless you count Mexico as America:nono:. Give the guy a break, it's not like he's buying it used from someone in Japan. I hope your kidding.

Made here YES, but where do you think the majority of the money made from sales goes!!!! JAPAN!!!! Japan owns as much of this country as we do if not more!! Don't get me wrong but we are getting our financial asses handed to us by other countries! I love my country and it kills me to see it falling apart!! :patriot: Death berfore Dishonor!!:us:

Hey 2k, can you measure the distance backing plate to backing plate on the toyota diff?

If there is 46" with about an inch or so to spare on each side she'll fit under an XJ no problem!

I forgot to mention, CP to CP width is 43.75"

46" is outside spring perch to outside perch

J-Roc said:
Hey 2k, can you measure the distance backing plate to backing plate on the toyota diff?

If there is 46" with about an inch or so to spare on each side she'll fit under an XJ no problem!

I forgot to mention, CP to CP width is 43.75"

46" is outside spring perch to outside perch
i measured.... i think its like 48 backing to backin. wms to wms is 58.5 i think..... itll be tight, but hey, thats supposed to be how it is right:)

now I don't get why everyone says it won't work... is it because of the bleeder screws if you retain drums? Are the calipers hitting the spring when you swap to disk? WTF

J-Roc said:
now I don't get why everyone says it won't work... is it because of the bleeder screws if you retain drums? Are the calipers hitting the spring when you swap to disk? WTF
dont know. im gunna try and use rodeo rear disks because its the same bp.

ColoradoRaptor said:

I'm sorry, but my point is he is buying the axle from another American putting American $$$ in an American's Pocket, I don't think that allows you to say he has no loyalty to our country. Plus the Toy rear is a nice axle.

Last edited:
Back