• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ Power Window Problem, Any Help?

88JeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Not a realy big deal but I was just thinking about it. I dealt with no front windows on my 91 for years so this is nothing compared to that. I have a 99 Classic with power windows. Every now and then (50% of the time actually) the passenger switch doesn't work. I can always put the window up and down from the driver's switch so I know it isn't the motor or power conection to the motor, it is the switch.

So is this common? If so is there an easy fix? I'm planing on pulling the door panel off to replace the speakers soon, so I'll likely take a look and clean any contacts points.

Thanks

Last edited:
88JeepXJ said:
So is this common? If so is there an easy fix? I'm plannying on pulling the door panel off to replace the speaks soon, so I'll likely take a look and clean any contacts points.

Yeah, this is apparently a very common problem on 97+ XJs. Aside from cleaning the contacts or even replacing the unit itself, you have a couple of options that will disable the lockout switch (if that's what is causing your problem):
  • Connect 2 wires together at the driver's door. Just remove some insulation and solder in a jumper wire from pin 8 of the smaller connector to pin 9 of the larger connector. Do not cut the wire on pin 9.

• There is a white connector behind the diver's side front kick panel with 3 wires: Yellow, Tan, and Black. Make a small wire jumper and connect the Yellow and Tan wire together.
Dave

So it would seem. When ChryCo went to the cheap-a$$ plastic housing they stuffed it with equally crappy switches, the worst of which is the lockout button. You'll also find that the auto-down function is fairly prone to fail as well as the window regulator.

Dave

Last edited:
I got kinda the same thing.

I'm wondering if my problem could be the lockout switch.

97, LF and RR window work fine,

RF and LR windows will only work about half the time.

turning the key on and off and slamming
the door have gotten them to work
in the past, but they seem to only work when they
want to.

Wow, I thought I was the only one with that problem, glad to hear I am not alone and it is a common problem, and even better to see how to fix it. Thanks

I have the same problem with my 97XJ.
ONLY the passenger side window has the intermittent problem.
I can ALWAYS operate from drivers door, but passenger sometimes can't operate window.

I notice that the light on the passenger window button is off at night. That must indicate something.

Also, my CB is connected to a yellow wire in the fuseblock area. When the window doesn't work, my CB doesn't work either. 100% of the time- they both either work or they both don't work.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

Jeff-97XJ said:
Also, my CB is connected to a yellow wire in the fuseblock area. When the window doesn't work, my CB doesn't work either. 100% of the time- they both either work or they both don't work.

Hi Jeff:

This sounds like a problem I've read about elsewhere. It seems that another possible failure point is due to corrosion under the factory carpeting that gets to the wires that run there. The only way to know for sure is to pull the rugs up and have a look.

Dave

Here are the pics of what I did. After doing this I no longer can use the lock-out button. So if you have kids you may not want to do this.
100_0254.jpg

100_0255.jpg

Also check within the bundle as it passes through the driver door into the body. Lot's of years of flexing can cause wires to break.

CantonXJ said:
So it would seem. When ChryCo went to the cheap-a$$ plastic housing they stuffed it with equally crappy switches, the worst of which is the lockout button. You'll also find that the auto-down function is fairly prone to fail as well as the window regulator.

Dave

(stealing thread)
I seem to accidently hit the window lockout button often , sometimes one hit is enough to unlock windows when i finally notice, sometimes I have to hit it a hundred times.
But that's not my main problem. I think I have a problem with the regulator. When it goes all the way up or down it makes a loud grinding. However a jammed regulator in an older car I had acted differently, so I wanted to double check.

wacho4 said:
(stealing thread)
I seem to accidently hit the window lockout button often , sometimes one hit is enough to unlock windows when i finally notice, sometimes I have to hit it a hundred times.
But that's not my main problem. I think I have a problem with the regulator. When it goes all the way up or down it makes a loud grinding. However a jammed regulator in an older car I had acted differently, so I wanted to double check.

When my regulator let go in my front passenger window back in March, my warning sign was that about a month or so prior, the window got real slow to roll up and down, and louder than usual. I knew about the regulator problem, but it was acting like a motor problem. Finally, while conveniently 200 miles away at the beach, I rolled the window down, and went to roll it back up that night and it didn't go back up. You could hear the motor working, and the part of the regualtor still attached to the motor was moving....however upon taking the door pannel off you could clearly see where the regulator broke.

Go ahead and plan on spending about $130 to get one from the dealer...they had plenty of them in stock when I had to get mine.

Not sure if they have it for the XJ's but I put a regulator in my friends ZJ. Believe it or not Murray's auto parts had it (made by Dorman -- the HELP! people) about $55 or so, IIRC. Consists of the motor + regulator assy. Certainly worth a call.......

Littlewhitexj said:
Sorry to bring back an old post, but i'd rather not start a new thread. I was wondering, how do you decifer which yellow wire to strip on the smaller connector (on the right) because it looks like that could be confused with another wire.

oo7ravisXJ said:
Sorry to bring back an old post, but i'd rather not start a new thread. I was wondering, how do you decifer which yellow wire to strip on the smaller connector (on the right) because it looks like that could be confused with another wire.

I just did this last weekend - it is thicker and is in the corner. Pretty hard to miss really once you look at it.

Interesting occurrance. I just did this - usual problem on my '98 - passerger side only worked intermittently. Now it works every time - but my lockout still seems to work...

Back