• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise Control not working

regist1

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 1999 XJ Sport, 4.0L with 92,000 miles, It's never been off-road, and in great shape. The cruise is not working. It will not set, the light in the dash does not come on and the lights in the wheel are not lite at night. The airbag check light cycles as it should and the horn works, so I don't thick it is the clock spring. I have cleaned the connection at the Vaccum unit, it looked good. Any ideas? Do the switches light up when the headlight are on even if the CC is not on?

regist1 said:
I just bought a 1999 XJ Sport, 4.0L with 92,000 miles, It's never been off-road, and in great shape. The cruise is not working. It will not set, the light in the dash does not come on and the lights in the wheel are not lite at night. The airbag check light cycles as it should and the horn works, so I don't thick it is the clock spring. I have cleaned the connection at the Vaccum unit, it looked good. Any ideas? Do the switches light up when the headlight are on even if the CC is not on?

The switches do not light up. You may have to check continuity of the wires and proper switch resistance. The system uses resistive multiplexing for operation which makes resistance in connectors, switches etc very important.

I assume I can check the swithes by look for resistants at the C1 connector under the dash on the firewall. If not how hard is it to get to the swiches in the wheel?

regist1 said:
I assume I can check the swithes by look for resistants at the C1 connector under the dash on the firewall. If not how hard is it to get to the swiches in the wheel?

I would remove the bag (follow proper procedures to avoid deployment).
There is a wiring harness with green connectors on top of the steering wheel.
ON, OFF, RESUME, etc. have specific resistance values when activated. I don't have the numbers, I know they were posted here a couple of years ago.
If you find them post them again.
Caution!
97-98 has one set of resistance values and 99-01 another.

Here is a post I found on removing the airbag. Is that all there is to it?

please be careful:

REMOVAL

The following procedure is for replacement of a faulty or damaged driver airbag. If the driver airbag has been deployed, the clockspring must also be replaced.

WARNING:
DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.
WARNING: WHEN REMOVING A DEPLOYED AIRBAG, RUBBER GLOVES, EYE PROTECTION, AND A LONG-SLEEVED SHIRT SHOULD BE WORN. THERE MAY BE DEPOSITS ON THE AIRBAG CUSHION AND OTHER INTERIOR SURFACES. IN LARGE DOSES, THESE DEPOSITS MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO THE SKIN AND EYES.
  1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. If either of the airbags has not been deployed, wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
  2. From the underside of the steering wheel, remove the two screws that secure the driver airbag to the steering wheel armature.
  3. Pull the driver airbag away from the steering wheel far enough to access the two wire harness connectors at the back of the airbag.
  4. Disconnect the clockspring horn switch wire harness connector from the horn switch pigtail wire connector, which is located at the back of the driver airbag. CAUTION: Do not pull on the clockspring wire harness to disengage the connector from the driver airbag inflator connector receptacle.
  5. The clockspring driver airbag wire harness connector is a tight snap fit into the airbag inflator connector receptacle, which is located at the back of the driver airbag. Firmly grasp and pull or gently pry on the clockspring driver airbag wire harness connector to disengage it from the airbag inflator connector receptacle.
  6. Remove the driver airbag from the steering wheel.
  7. If the driver airbag has been deployed, the clockspring must be replaced.

WARNING: BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE, REMOVE OR INSTALL ANY AIRBAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL AND STEERING COLUMN COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. WAIT 2 MINUTES FOR SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. FAILURE TO DO SO COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND

falcon556 said:
Caution!
97-98 has one set of resistance values and 99-01 another.

Just a thought since you don't know the history of your Jeep.
The switches are not the best design IMHO, they crack up at the base.
I wonder whether the previous owner might have replaced the switches with the wrong year, they look identical.
A long shot. Something to keep in the back of your mind if everything looks good but nothing works, been there.
Another way to check the switches is to take the covers on the steering column off and disconnect the connector there and read resistance through the clockspring. This will check the clockspring the harness and the switches and you don't have to mess with the airbag.

Cruise Control Switch Notes
Notes

the wires arent cut are they? mine are & it sux big time. the idiot cut the right at the switch/lever (turn signal/hi-low beam/ cruise). so im totaly with out cruise control. but at least i know what the problem is & where it is.

good luck finding your problem & happy new year!!!!

I doubt, it the Jeep is a one owner, middle aged woman driver who lived 45 miles in the country. She drove it on bad weather days. It needed a few little things but doesn't look like it has been messed with. II have installed a 4" lift and bought new Rubicon wheels with 265/75 R16 Firestone AT. My wife and I gave it the my 16 year old daughter for Christmas, it was an "Overhaulin' " moment.

OK, here are the reading I got from the switches.
ON / 4533 ohms
SET / 4330 ohms
Resume-Accel / 15900 ohms
Cancel / 0
Coast / 2940 ohms
Can anyone tell me if that is acceptable?
This is on a 1999 XJ 4.0L

Again, I checked voltage at the pigtails for the switches, nothing, but ahead of the clockspring is get 6.6 volts. I think it's the clock spring but the horn and the airbag work? I 'll check for dirty connections if no change I'll order a clock spring. Any suggestions where has the best price?

regist1 said:
Again, I checked voltage at the pigtails for the switches, nothing, but ahead of the clockspring is get 6.6 volts. I think it's the clock spring but the horn and the airbag work? I 'll check for dirty connections if no change I'll order a clock spring. Any suggestions where has the best price?

To check the clockspring, check continuity between pins 2 and 3 of connector C1, which I believe is the connector part of the clockspring, on the column.
If you attach an ohmmeter between those two pins and press any of the switches it should show a connection with a resistance, depending on which switch you pressed.

Be careful if the air bag is attached. The meter voltage could deploy the bag if you mess with the wrong pins.

Last edited:
I took the airbag out and checked for continutity thru the clock spring. There was none. I did fine continutity thur the CS at the Horn and the airbag connection but not the CC. I am searching for a CS to replace the old one. Do you know if the resistant thur the switches sound right?

regist1 said:
I took the airbag out and checked for continutity thru the clock spring. There was none. I did fine continutity thur the CS at the Horn and the airbag connection but not the CC. I am searching for a CS to replace the old one. Do you know if the resistant thur the switches sound right?

OK, you realize of course that the circuit you are checking is normally open till you press a switch.
The values were posted here under a thread about installing cruise in XJs that came without it. I don't have the numbers, I made the mistake of not copying them.

Back