• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case for 700r4

txredxj

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 700r4 and i want to run it in my jeep. what transfer case will work wih the 700r4 and have the correct input and outputs?

txredxj said:
i have a 700r4 and i want to run it in my jeep. what transfer case will work wih the 700r4 and have the correct input and outputs?

The 700R4 was used in the S-10 series, the K5 Blazer, and (I think) in the K-10 pickup - so use one of those. I don't recall model numbers offhand - but that should give you the opportunity to look.

As I recall, there were several New Process/New Venture Gear cases used behind the 700R4, so you will probably just need to swap the input gear. Check at Novak Adapters (www.novak-adapt.com, I think) for information and sources. I find them to be a bit more compleat than Advance Adapters (www.advanceadapt.com - Google them as well...) especially for information and small parts.

comancheon33 said:
Use a 241 from an S10 4x4. That t case will drop on the proper side and bolt up the 700r4.

That was the other thing I wasn't certain about - which side it dropped on.

Although, that could be less of a problem than you'd think, if you can get an input gear to match up...

what is the differnece in the 241 and231? i am wanting todo a sbc swap. got a beefy engine for it and a rebuilt 700r4 just laying around. and 230k miles on the current engine and tranny.

S10s had the same spline output as a Jeep 231/242 and so on. Any S10 from 88 up with a 4.3 will have a 241. A friend of mine swapped a SBC 700r4 and 241 into an 89 XJ limited a few years back. It worked well but ate 3 Dana 35s in one day. That day sucked bad.

You kinda forgot to mention one small important detail...is the 700R4 you have a 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive application?
They came in either a 27 spline or 32 spline version, depending on how heavy the vehicle was that it came from. The S10's were 27. The 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks, Suburbans, and Blazers all used the 32 spline output.
The best setup is to get the 4wd transmission, regardless of vehicle size, and get the full size NP208-231-241-242-249 adaptor with the matching transfer case input shaft. If you do that you can keep your transfercase and simply change out the input shaft. It's really not that difficult.
The fullsize utilizes the same 6 bolt mounting pattern that Jeep used on all the 1980 and up applications, fullsize Jeep, CJ, XJ, YJ, ZJ, MJ, KJ, JK, etc. The Jeeps used either a 21 or 23 spline input on the transfercases.
The S10's used the odd 5 bolt mounting pattern. I would strongly avoid using the S10 setup if you can avoid it. The Jeep 'cases are much easier and usually cheaper to get ahold of.

A late 80's/very early 90's 4x4 ifs chevy truck w/ auto will be a good donor. That is driver drop np241c and should have the adapter to mate to the 700r4. There are sye kits for the 241c and if you ever choose to do a pass drop 60 it's just a matter of getting a 241c from a something with a solid front axle like a suburban.

Back