• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

10W30 in the AX15 and AX5

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Been over on the wrangler forum and the word is that the AX's can use 10W30 motor oil in them. Sure would eliminate the GL5 BS if true. Anybody confirm or heard this anywhere else ?
Basically this on the mopar parts site.
Part Number 4897622aa was Superceded with 4761839AC
Word is the newer stuff is 10W30 oil.... sure would make life easier....

I wouldnt think that its anywhere heavy duty enough to run in a transmission....i mean, would you run it in your diffs too? not me...

I've heard much the same - but 10W-30 seems a little "light" to me. Probably try something like a straight 40 or 50 first.

As far as durability - engine oil has to hold up to an awful lot, especially with heat and pressure. So, the idea has some merit (and I know that a lot of newer manuals run 5W-30 or 10W-30 in them - I just don't know what's been changed...)

I ran Yamalube in my 88's AX. Nothing happened, didn't notice any improvement/promlem

The Peugeot BA-10/5 5-speed was used behind the 4.0L from introduction in 1987 through mid-89.

In mid-89 (appx April) the BA-10/5 was replaced with the much better Aisin-Warner AX-15. That remained the manual transmission option until 1999.

In 2000, XJ SE models used the NV-3550 5-speed.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

The local tranny shop and others are using ATF in their manual trannies. As RichP said, this would eliminate using GL-4.
Any other thoughts on using ATF?

Lodi Jim said:
The local tranny shop and others are using ATF in their manual trannies. As RichP said, this would eliminate using GL-4.
Any other thoughts on using ATF?

I maybe wrong but I don't think ATF lubricates, its more of a hydraulic fluid.

i took my MJ in to get the tranny fluid changed and they put ATF in my BA-10...didnt notice it until it started whining real bad....looked at the reciept and was like what the hell...they ended up buying me a new trans and i just put it in myself...i run synthetic 80W-90 and it shifts like butter

I maybe wrong but I don't think ATF lubricates, its more of a hydraulic fluid.
I don't know a whole lot about the topic at hand but i do know that the 231 t-case uses ATF...
i'm running redline mt-90 synthetic in my ax-15 and it's been great, especially when it gets real cold out. not much help to the thread i guess but i would think that straight 40w or 50w may work but then again, mt-90 is 90w i think. not sure but i think so. i'm sure the tranny is tough enough to run on plenty of different fluids but i'll stick to whats recommeneded when it comes to something like a tranny.

MT-90 isn't 'recommended', but I use it with great results. Definately nice in the cold. Someone on here Mixed the MTL (thinner) and the MT90 living up north in the winter.

Sure doesn't 'feel' as thick as a 90 weight when you shake the bottle, MT90 that is.

I've wondered the same thing about ATF use in manual trannys as well... After all, it's used in 231 transfer cases... a transmission of sorts when you think about it.

as per chrysler, 10w30 is the proper "new" lube for the ax15. if you were to take it to the dealer that's what they'd put in. although mt-90 is not too hard to find and works well(that's what i'm running), also i'm sure it offers better long-term protection than motor oil. unless maybe super-duper synthetic? something like amsoil?

im pretty sure atf is used mainly to increase fuel economy. ill stick with my gear oil. its made for..well...lubricating gears. i have also been running gear oil in my 231 for 3 years and it is working flawlessly.

Back