• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame Rail Reinforcement

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of the TnT Customs frame rail reinforcements.
Is a stich weld adequate to attach them? Or should rosette welds be used also? If you recommend rosette welds how large should the holes be?

Sliders will be attached the rails along with tying in a cage.

IntrepidXJ said:
many people have just used stitch welds with no problems.....however, I went with stitch welds + rosette welds to tie the plating in even more places to the framerails.

i just used a 1/2" drill bit that had on hand, and it worked out well.

HTH

Did the smaller rosettes allow you to grind the weld clean and make the surface look smooth again?
Billy

here's my latest frame plating with 1/2" rosettes

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

on this topic, I have access to 3" wide 3/16 plate in 12' lengths. would I see any benefit from using this to plate the sides of the frame rails, or the bottom, or both. I figured the bottom would help keep the frame in better shape when high centering and such.
The sides would be good as I want to tie my rocker replacement rails into the frame, but not weld straight to the frame.
I don't expect to get great stiffening from this, just wondering if its worth it at all?

JeepFreak21 said:
Why not? :confused:

Billy

well from my limited understanding, I will get some stiffening, just from the plating.
however for the amount of stiffening most people are looking for I'd need to plate 1 side and bottom, but tied together, like angle iron.
I know I'll get some, but I don't need very much for the trails I do now, or expect to in the future.
I think this will do very well for my needs, just thought someone would have other ideas for this steel, something I hadn't thought of.

I'll see if I can grab some of it tomorrow.

thanks

beakie said:
well from my limited understanding, I will get some stiffening, just from the plating.
however for the amount of stiffening most people are looking for I'd need to plate 1 side and bottom, but tied together, like angle iron.
I know I'll get some, but I don't need very much for the trails I do now, or expect to in the future.
I think this will do very well for my needs, just thought someone would have other ideas for this steel, something I hadn't thought of.

I'll see if I can grab some of it tomorrow.

thanks

Oh, sorry... I read that wrong... I thought you were talking about angle iron. I would say your statements sound correct :)
Billy

great, thanks both of you, now to swing some steel.

If I understood your question you asked if just the bottom or just the sides would give some stiffening. The answer is some but very little if done independantly of each other. Done together they would add quite a bit to the overall picture......

Scrappy said:
Definitaly go with the rossets and stich welds.

moz-screenshot.jpg
stp81891kl4.jpg
Agreed.:conceited

I did both, but not to the same extent as some. I used 3/4" holes for rossettes, but a uni-bit gets tired quickly, more 1/2" holes would have been better.
000_0274.jpg

Stitched top and bottom, rossette side and below, then tied into TMR plates up front. I welded the TMR plates complete, top and bottom.......just because.
000_0302.jpg

I ground the rosettes on the TNT units flush before painting, lots of extra work, but I like it smooth.

000_0419.jpg

XJEEPER said:
I did both, but not to the same extent as some. I used 3/4" holes for rossettes, but a uni-bit gets tired quickly, more 1/2" holes would have been better.
[IG]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/XJEEPER1/XJ%20Build%20III/000_0274.jpg[/IMG]

Stitched top and bottom, rossette side and below, then tied into TMR plates up front. I welded the TMR plates complete, top and bottom.......just because.
[IG]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/XJEEPER1/XJ%20Build%20III/000_0302.jpg[/IMG]

I ground the rosettes on the TNT units flush before painting, lots of extra work, but I like it smooth.

[IG]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/XJEEPER1/XJ%20Build%20III/000_0419.jpg[/IMG]

Tell us more about how the crossmember attaches. Since the T&T kit only covers one side (and the bottom)... did you add sleeves? Did you add steel to the inside of the "frame rail"? Did you weld a 3rd side on in that spot?

Thanks,
Billy

The rossette welds are important in my view. It could easily be strong enough without them, but with just the stitch welds the stress of frame flex is all absorbed by those welds. Rossette welds will make the frame and the new plating act like one unit, so no possibility of stress cracks on the welds doen the road.

I always grind my rossetts smooth. :)

JeepFreak21 said:
Tell us more about how the crossmember attaches.With bolts? Since the T&T kit only covers one side (and the bottom)... did you add sleeves? I only add sleeves when my arms are cold............the kit comes with and is designed to use sleeves through the frame to reinforce the mounting bolt areas. Did you add steel to the inside of the "frame rail"? Nope, the kit comes with an inner angle bracket that bolts to the x-member and mates up with the bolts/sleeves that attach through the frame. Did you weld a 3rd side on in that spot? No.

Thanks,
Billy

I didn't document the individual pieces in my build thread, since the TNT instructions are good and there are plenty of threads on the web that already show how the parts fit together.

Last edited:
Just a little note
TNT Chassis stiffeners + Drop Bracket braces = longer cross member bolts

Back