• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing a Front window on 96.

RyanM

NAXJA Forum User
my xj was recently violated, and My front Passenger winder was knocked out. Any tips on how this should be done? Sure i can go ripping into it but I'd like to get some heads up from those who have done it. I'm also replacing the powere window motor at the same time. TIA

mine is no power so i'll tell ya how to get all that off if yours has power windows and locks it should be close to the same but i cant say for sure.

you're going to need a set of torx bits. first get out the phillips and take out the 2 screws holding the arm rest on from underneath. swing it down and when it is vertical the front should pull away from the door easily. then grab the window crank at the base and give it a good fast pull it should pop right off. then remove the screws holding the plate around the inside door handle, with some clever twisting you can get it off from the door handle assembly. i think there is one screw holding the door handle assembly in too, take it out.
starting at the rearward edge of the door, go around with a putty knife or something with a strong flat blade, and pry up on the plastic door panel clips. if you break them you can get new ones at napa just take an old one with you. there are plastic clips all the way around the back, bottom, and front edge of the panel. when they are all released pull the bottom odge of the panel out a bit and slide the whole panel rearward (the top hangs on a little lip you cantrt just pull it off) one you slide it back about 2 or 3 inches you should be able to lift the panel off. next look on the top of the door for a screw holding the vent window asssembly in. remove it. you then need to peel back the plastic weather sheeting thats glued to the door. it will stick back to the glue when you close it all up, or you can reglue it. ok the window regulator should be in the down position at this point. there will be another small torx screw holding the lower portion of the vent wind assembly in. remove that and tilt the vent wind assembly rearward and wiggle it up and out of the door, set it aside for now.

on the bottom of what used to be the window is a big metal/plastic washer with a torx screw in it. remove it and transfer the washer over to your new window. now is the time to get out the shop vac and suck all the glass oput of the door or you'll hear it rattling around and drop little bits of glass for the next 3 months.

to get the new window in lower it in down thru the window opening until you line up the mount you transfered over from the old window remains. then put the torx screw back in and tighten it up. **IMPORTANT** that mount pivots around, make sure its towards the top, over the pivot point, or it will seem like your window doesnt roll up that last 2 inches (this is where i got stumped for a couple days lol) ok now that the glass is in pivot the vent window assembly back in and make sure you get the window glass lined up in the channel on the side of the vent assembly before you tighten everything back up. make sure both screws are back in holding the vent assembly in before you test the window, otherwise you will bend the regulator channel.

everything else goes back in pretty easy. like i said in hte beginning mine is non power anything so it might go a little different for you but it should be basically the same. good luck! if you have any questions feel free to PM me i just did this last month when mine was broken into as well.

hope this helps.
-mike

Sorry to hear that your XJ was violated. Really irritating I know. This will be nice in one way though, most of your window will be cleared before you go in.

Have a vaccuum on the ready for glass pieces.

Remove screws in various spots on door panel.

Gently pop panel away from steel part of door. (Quite a few plastic brackets you have to be careful not to break.

Remove little cup behind the door handle (Held in place by a screw I believe)

Work panel off and around interior handle.

Gently work off plastic lining.

There's the rest of the glass and the motor. Motor takes two minutes to take out. It includes the tracking and the little defogger piece.

Put new motor/track in and drop to bottom of door.

Here's the tricky part: dropping the new window in. You have to patient and just get a good angle on it then lightly push in.

Secure window to clip on track and reconnect the one or two electrical fittings and you're in business after the panel and lining goes back on.

Note: I have used a flat head screw driver to pop the plastic panel brackets off, but you have to be careful as to not break bracket or bend panel itself.

Hope that helps,

Tim

P.S- There are two or three bolts that hold in the motor/track. They come together, at least they did last time I had to buy one.

Last edited:
Back