• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Problem, Jerks when going from Park to Drive

JoshRountree

NAXJA Forum User
When I change the gear selector from Park to Drive, the whole car kind of lurches, jumps, or jerks forward. It doesn't do this when going from Park to Reverse. And, it seems like there is a delay. I'll put it in Drive, then a half second later the car will jump forward.

Also when I'm stopped and then go forward it feels like there is some "play" in the gear, a delay from the time I press the gas to the time the car goes forwards, and it feels almost like a clunk. I also get this feeling when driving and let off the gas, it's not as pronounced since I'm driving at a much higher speed, but I can still feel some "play", and sometimes I hear a clunk.

Sometimes when it's really cold, the transmission shifts and feels normal.

Car is a 1998 XJ Sport 4.0 I6 4wd NP231 4dr 102,000 miles
I've had the transmission fluid and filter changed in the past 10,000 miles, and the fluid looks fine.

I've looked around on the internet and the only conclusion I've come to is that it might be the clutch pack seals wearing out or drying out. Are there any additives that I can run through it to help it?

Also sometimes I used to shift from reverse to drive before the car had stopped (I know stupid me, I was young, I know better now). But, I thought these transmissions were pretty tough.

thanks!

JoshRountree said:
Car is a 1998 XJ Sport 4.0 I6 4wd NP231 4dr 102,000 miles
No cars here buddy
icon10.gif
My 2000 does kinda the same thing. I just go from park to neutral, wait a second or two, and then put it in drive. It doesn't seem to do it that way

Tranny mount?

Mine sorta does what you're talking about, I just chalk it up to being the nature of the beast. It does it more once i've been driving it, first thing in the morning it isn't too bad. Had it for over two years and over 30K with no problems, so i'm no too worried about it.

Its not supposed to do that?! Thats not good then....I admit I used to do the Reverse/Drive drop when I was in a hurry...alot....what would that move stress?:banghead:

EMSJEEP said:
Its not supposed to do that?! Thats not good then....I admit I used to do the Reverse/Drive drop when I was in a hurry...alot....what would that move stress?:banghead:

I see many people yanking the gear selector from reverse to drive. I don't think it can be good for any transmission. Now the AW4 is supposed to be pretty tough, but since I've started doing all my own work, and just caring about and taking care of my car more, I'm trying to keep it in the best condition possible.

I don't know much about the internals of the automatic transmission, but I can see it breaking gear teeth off, wearing down clutches, and just wearing down the transmission prematurely.

The lurch is caused by binding in the slip yoke at the back of the transfer case.

Pull your rear driveshaft, clean and lube the splines on the slip yoke and the output shaft with a good synthetic grease. Reinstall the driveshaft. Enjoy.

Yeah, what he said, that was my next guess after the tranny mount....lol...j/k

Kuasimodem is smart....

thats kinda strange though, mine has done that since mile 33000 straight from the dealer used...always thought it was normal....I no longer feel the Reverse to 1st gear bump though, seems to be as a result of my quick changeover to drive, I know it used to do it, but not anymore, is that worth having it looked at before my warranty is up?

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818825
I strayed from NAXJA to see what the rest of the world was up to, found this, seems like the same issue we are discussing, or not? Sound about right JoshR?

Last edited:
EMSJEEP said:
thats kinda strange though, mine has done that since mile 33000 straight from the dealer used...always thought it was normal....I no longer feel the Reverse to 1st gear bump though, seems to be as a result of my quick changeover to drive, I know it used to do it, but not anymore, is that worth having it looked at before my warranty is up?

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818825
I strayed from NAXJA to see what the rest of the world was up to, found this, seems like the same issue we are discussing, or not? Sound about right JoshR?

Yeah, sounds about the same.

I'm going to try and grease the slip yoke this weekend since I'm going to be home and have access to the shop. I'll let you know how it goes. Since I'm going to be pulling the driveshaft, I'm going to replace u-joints all the way around. Might as well I guess, seems like I remember reading that you need new straps any time you pull the driveshaft. I put new axle shaft u-joints on in November, so I won't have to do them.

Is the high temp nlgi wheel bearing lube good enough? I'm going to lube the sh!t out of the slip yoke.

Expect an update Saturday night...

I had a similar feel with bad rear shock bushings as well...

Back