• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "Dirt Cheep XJ II" begins.........

Georgia Mike

NAXJA Forum User
WHAT'S UP FELLAS!!!!!! I'm back!!!!!!!

Just bought myself a little '91 XJ off of eBay today, and I'm going to drag it home tomorrow morning. I've got to get the thing running first and foremost, but I did get the engine to turn over while looking it over, so that's a good sign. It's got a 4.0/AW4/231 in it, but it's got a D35 in the rear.:puke: The interior is beyond funky, but it's all gonna come out, anyway. It'll be open season on this one because I'm not going to worry about making it streetable. I'll just haul it wherever it needs to go. :yelclap:

I'm excited to be getting back into 4wheelin' again. It's a lot more family oriented than motorcycles. Plus it's safer, and prolly cheaper, too!!

Welp, I'll talk to you guys later, and hopefully before too long I'll see you on the trails!!!!
:peace:

awesome!!

maybe you'll get it ready b4 the crawl in july...

besure to let us know if we can help ya find anything in paticular..

YAY! Welcome back! Let me know if you need anything.... I got parts available.

also have parts... new 3 row CSF radiator to be specific if the cooling needs some help have upper and lower arms some long arms steerinr set up
rear hitch few rock crawler wheels possibly a 8.25 rear locked up
just up the road from you in Cleveland

Yea you need to attend the Crawl this year, youwould not believe the deep end I've stepped off of!

Well, it runs, sort of. It will run for a minute and shut off. When it runs it's really rough. It's definately an ignition related issue. Fuel pressure is good @ 35psi. I'm thinking it's the CPS. This is where I start to get confused. I'm 99% certain mine's not the Renix FI system, but mine doesn't have the HO valve cover. It seems there are 2 different ways to measure the CPS' resistance. With one system 0 resistance means it's good, the other system 0 resistance means it's bad.:dunno: Which is it? Can someone post up a pic of a Renix equipped 4.0 for me so I can determine for certain if mine's the MOPAR injection?

91 is HO and MOPAR. It will have a rounded TB, Like the 01, and the Renix TB is square looking.

OK, so do you think mine's supposed to have a zero resistance, or some type of resistance? I measured across every possible combination of the three poles on the CPS plug with my meter and got nothing from any of them.

I can look up the procedure tomorrow. I have the FSM at the shop.

Cool, I'd appreciate it! Been searching here in the OEM tech section, and it pointed me to a couple of other things to check out, too. The good thing is that the engine made no unusual noises and didn't smoke, so that's encouraging.:yelclap: Can you also look and see if it says anything about testing the pickup coil, too?

Thanks,
Mike

FIXED IT!! It was simply a bad connection at the plug for the CPS. Cut it out of the harness and rewired it with butt connectors. It may make it a little more of a pain to replace later, but at least I don't have to worry about it any more!!

Now I need to do a compression check, and if that checks out, it's time to start stripping it down for trail use!!

Sorry I did not get back to you. Ben felt sick Sunday so I never made it to the shop. Then I fogot. Glad you got it fixed.

Ah, it's cool man! I actually found that little tidbit of information right here in the OEM tech section. I started it up today, full well expecting it shut down shortly afterward. When it kept running, I popped the hood, and as soon as I touched that connector, it shut off.:rolleyes:

So then I tried out the transmission and t-case, and they worked great. The vacuume disco on teh front axle doesn't work, but I'll prolly just convert it over to a cable anyway.

Now it's time to break out the Sawzall!!

Hey Mike! Glad to see you're back man! Think you'll make the Crawl this year? Hopefully we'll see you there.
Dale

Georgia Mike said:
Ah, it's cool man! I actually found that little tidbit of information right here in the OEM tech section. I started it up today, full well expecting it shut down shortly afterward. When it kept running, I popped the hood, and as soon as I touched that connector, it shut off.:rolleyes:

So then I tried out the transmission and t-case, and they worked great. The vacuume disco on teh front axle doesn't work, but I'll prolly just convert it over to a cable anyway.

Now it's time to break out the Sawzall!!
Do not waste your money one the cable unless you want to. I shimmed mine by putting the fork on the other side of the e clip.

HEY! What's up Dale! Long time no see! What's your XJ looking like these days?

Glen, I was actually thinking of trying to rig up a home made manual cable operater for the disco. Dunno if it's possible. Anyway, I'm also in the market for new axles, too, so I may not have to worry about this one anyway.

Hey Mike, where ya been?
That was a long motorcycle ride you took.
It's good to see and here that your back.
Maybe you make the crawl this year.
I notice you said family, is there some
news you need to be telling or what?

What's up Mark! About the family, well....yes, and no. We now have a daughter, but Wendy and I are seperated at the moment. Don't know where that's going to end up, but whatever happens things are bound to be better in the long run. From what I've been reading you've been a busy guy making babies as well!! LOL!!!

What's your XJ looking like these days? I'm just now getting started on mine. If you know anyone with a good set of axles, lift, tires, whatever, for sale, let me know. Mine's got the junk axles and stock suspension and I'm looking to upgrade before the 'Crawl. So yes, I plan on being there! I'm going to put my Triumph Daytona on eBay this weekend, so I'm thinking I'll have at least $3,000 to spend in the very near future for everything!

Georgia Mike said:
HEY! What's up Dale! Long time no see! What's your XJ looking like these days?

Glen, I was actually thinking of trying to rig up a home made manual cable operater for the disco. Dunno if it's possible. Anyway, I'm also in the market for new axles, too, so I may not have to worry about this one anyway.

well i have abuddy that is building the same kinda project as you....and he built a homemade disco outta choke cable...he put a bb lift on it with some old buckshots and welded it front and rear...

Back