• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Options equipped with the Pioneer Model???

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
There is a cherokee pioneer that i may be getting for dirt cheap, or free, i just wanted to know what options it had on the interior. And is it is a high end trim model or basic? Thanks.

As I recall, the Pioneer was a mid-level model just above base. It had carpeting, full gauges, center console and rear wiper/washer. Of course, it may have additional options.

Dave

Yep - my 87 Pioneer pretty much has that. It was a step below "Laredo" (chrome trim) and above "Base" (which didn't come with anything useful, probably not even the I6!)

It's still a good package. Unless you're really into "creature features," you'll like it. Yes, the Pioneer does have air conditioning - at least, mine does...

5-90

I've got a 90 which is the last year they made the Pioneer model.
Few highlights about it...
Chrome bumpers and trim
Black grille
Manual windows/locks/seats/stick controlled mirrors
No rear defog.(although some Pioneers had it)
Came with gauges except no tach(big gas gauge)
4.0, AW4, 231, D30,D35
Oh yeah and I forgot to add, I like it!
Hope it helps
-Collin

My 87 Pioneer had a partial chrome grille and chrome bumpers, "wagon wheels" rather than the base 10-slot, black door handles, full carpet, console and the good rocker-base seats in cloth (best seats I've ever sat in). Also rear wiper and defrost and delay wipers, which may have been an option package, along with black remote mirrors. It had full gauges but no tach. As options that appear to have been added to the pioneer package, it also had the upscale interior lights (mirror, under dash and map lights), cruise control and underhood light. It had opening vent windows and no air conditioner.

Definitely a lower end model in terms of chrome and power accessories, and not much to distinguish it from a well optioned base model. I liked it.

Matthew Currie said:
My 87 Pioneer had a partial chrome grille and chrome bumpers, "wagon wheels" rather than the base 10-slot, black door handles, full carpet, console and the good rocker-base seats in cloth (best seats I've ever sat in).

This is exactly what the pioneer that i am looking at has. If yours is silver than it is a clone!

BigBlackHeep said:
I've got a 90 which is the last year they made the Pioneer model.
Few highlights about it...
Chrome bumpers and trim
Black grille
Manual windows/locks/seats/stick controlled mirrors
No rear defog.(although some Pioneers had it)
Came with gauges except no tach(big gas gauge)
4.0, AW4, 231, D30,D35
Oh yeah and I forgot to add, I like it!
Hope it helps
-Collin

My 88 Pioneer had rear defog and a full gauge panel w/ tach. It also has body colored fenders (vs. the ugly base model grey/black) and a full center console.

jrock said:
It seems you guys all have autos. My 87 Pioneer has a 5 speed.

What year is it? If it's made before 8/89 or earlier, you've got the Peugeot, and you might as well start looking for a replacement NOW (I've been through three...)

If you can't locate the date of manufacture, or just want to be sure, check the transmission case itself. The Peugeot has a longwise parting line where the case is split in half, and the AX-15 (it's replacement post-8/89, and a vastly superior gearbox!) has a three-part case comprised of "sleeves" instead - no longwise split.

I don't have them out on the floor right now, or I'd take pix for you to see. I'm sure there's an ID guide online somewhere, tho...

5-90

5-90 said:
What year is it? If it's made before 8/89 or earlier, you've got the Peugeot, and you might as well start looking for a replacement NOW (I've been through three...)

If you can't locate the date of manufacture, or just want to be sure, check the transmission case itself. The Peugeot has a longwise parting line where the case is split in half, and the AX-15 (it's replacement post-8/89, and a vastly superior gearbox!) has a three-part case comprised of "sleeves" instead - no longwise split.

I don't have them out on the floor right now, or I'd take pix for you to see. I'm sure there's an ID guide online somewhere, tho...

5-90

It's an 87, so I'm sure it's the Peugeot. Yeah, I've heard these transmissions are crap, and I've always thought it could be smoother when shifting. Synchro's wearing out? Only 128K miles though. In your experience, what problems have you had with the Peugeot?

I've thought about a swap, and I understand that the AX-15 has a different output shaft and would not mate up correctly with my current 231? I've also wondered, if I'm going to do a swap, should I just go for the AW-4? Not that I mind shifting, just curious.

Regarding the AX-15, is there a noticeable difference in driving, or is just more reliable/better built? Are the gear ratios much different? Thanks.

88JeepXJ said:
My 88 Pioneer had rear defog and a full gauge panel w/ tach. It also has body colored fenders (vs. the ugly base model grey/black) and a full center console.
Mine also had body colored flares and a full center console I guess. It was an Arizona heep though so I guess they didn't need rear defog there as much as here in Iowa. And even though it didnt come with one, mine has a tach cluster now:clap:

Thanks for all your responses guys. I walked up to the jeep and i know what it is equipped with.
AW4
NP242
Rear wiper
rear defogger
D44
power windows
power locks
clock
full gauges (except tach)
center console
and a FACTORY SUNROOF!!!!!!!!!!!

I really hope i can get this pioneer. It seems pretty loaded compared to what you guys described. I'd say its pretty rare. But if i can get it for free that would be even better.

Back