• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with pinion angle

HolsanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright im planning to build some fullwidths over some time and was just wonder the way to measure a pinion angle if i was to put a dana 44 under my jeep.

Thanks

I should also say that mine has the SYE. If your running sye you want the drive shaft and the pinion angle to be almost the same. I ran the drive shaft at 18 degrees and the pinion at 16. The pinion is tipped down 2 degrees so that it runs about straight with the drive shaft under acceleration. The springs will"wrap" slightly when accelerating. Mine used T&T ubolt eliminators, so I just raised the pinion to the proper angle and welded the perches. If your not running an sye you would want your tc output shaft and pinion angle to be about the same. The top ujoint and the bottom ujoint balance and cancel each other out. The sye method lets the double cardan style ujoints do all flexing with the pinion almost pointing straight at the double cardan. Some people shim to accomplish this, some weld new perches on. I would probably cut the perches off the 44 and buy new ones to weld on and not depend on shims. You can find tons of stuff about this topic and others may suggest differently.

Back