• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ugg here we go again.....

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here's the plan, let me know what you think.

Chop the roof off from the C pillar back, continue my roof cage/exo into the rear cargo area. No probs so far. Design the tubing in such a way to be able to mount an 8274 in the rear where the hatch used to be. Still no probs so far.

Now comes the fun part, in the space left over make a custom ally gastank in a horse shoe shape that goes around the winch. The spare will be mounted at a 45 deg angle from the top of the winch mount towards the roof line.

So anyone made a custom ally tank before? Thickness? Grade?? Welding is no probs as I can pay the guy in our fuels shop to tig it together on the weekends.

Any design ideas for the sump? I'm thinking center the pickup in the thin area behind the winch to keep her from starving at angles. Or would dual pickups be better? One in each larger tank? How would you plumb dual pumps? Would they have probs working together? Baffles?

Or say to hell with it and run a fuel cell??

Thanks

ponyracer1 said:
Or say to hell with it and run a fuel cell??

mark my vote down for this.

The custom cell is a neat idea but it would likely be more work than it's worth.:peace:

www.gotpropane.com

4.0L conversion kit and a nice forklift tank. :gag:

It's like 800 bux but saves the trouble of having to find / fit a fuel pump and stuff. Also doesn't spill and works on inclines. Emissions are CO2 and water, and you'll never have to worry about pinging again! Also gets rid of that pesky carbon buildup in the intake passages and your oil will be really clean on every oil change too.

Just a thought, most likely not economical in your situation, but I'll probably be doing that when I do the 4.6L high-compression super-advanced-timing stroker in mine when the stock motor blows up.

vetteboy said:
www.gotpropane.com

It's like 800 bux but saves the trouble of having to find / fit a fuel pump and stuff. Also doesn't spill and works on inclines. Emissions are CO2 and water, and you'll never have to worry about pinging again! Also gets rid of that pesky carbon buildup in the intake passages and your oil will be really clean on every oil change too.

Just a thought, most likely not economical in your situation, but I'll probably be doing that when I do the 4.6L high-compression super-advanced-timing stroker in mine when the stock motor blows up.

I run propane and know Cary who sells those kits, but I would keep the EFI 4.0 on gas not LPG.

emissions, I failed this year, Hydro carbons.... I adjusted my timing now it might pass.

Id do a fuel cell, not an aluminum one, those tend to crack welds. The plastic ones are cheap and more duable. Aslo some have foam baffels on the inside for racing applications, you dont want that, the foam gets all broke up from the pounding of off road use and will clog your fuel filter.

Fuel cells are not DOT legal, if you have emissions testing you will need to hide it for equipment inspection and make it look like your using the factory fill neck and cap.

Can you relocate the factory fuel tank up higher or are you trying to keep the rear seat?

On propane I have a DOT tank, and pass the cap test as a not required.

Well the goal is to remount the tank in the "bed" to get it up away from the rocks. I like the LPG idea but I know nothing about it so I may have to check into it.

Why aren't fuel cells DOT legal? Just because the filler? Prob is I'm in england, and the truck will need to be DOT legal when it comes back to the states. HHmmmm this maybe a mod better saved for later.

ponyracer1 said:
Well the goal is to remount the tank in the "bed" to get it up away from the rocks. I like the LPG idea but I know nothing about it so I may have to check into it.

Why aren't fuel cells DOT legal? Just because the filler? Prob is I'm in england, and the truck will need to be DOT legal when it comes back to the states. HHmmmm this maybe a mod better saved for later.

So why not mount the factory Tank half way through the floor Like I did when I first hacked my roof off.
download.php

ashmanjeepxj said:
So why not mount the factory Tank half way through the floor Like I did when I first hacked my roof off.
download.php

Because directly above the # plate in your pic will be the home of a warn 8274. Trying to get into the european winch challege type events and f&r winches are pretty much manditory.

I would look into fuel cells. The FIA spec. foam filled variety are the mandatory type for offroad racing events such as the Paris-Daker rally and I'm sure they'll survive the abuse.

The only question is DOT legality, being from England I know very little about it but I'm sure there are some DOT approved cells??

With a custom aluminium tank why not use the stock fuel pump/pickup assembly in a tank with plenty of baffles? My XJ uses a replacement fuel tank alongside the LPG tank and the stock fuel pump assembly fits in easily and works well offroad.

I just realised I'm under a different username on here but it's JamesH on the UK boards if you want to msg me to see the LPG & replacement fuel tank setup. I installed it all myself too so I know it inside out.

Hope the ramblings help some, James.

English XJ said:
With a custom aluminium tank why not use the stock fuel pump/pickup assembly in a tank with plenty of baffles?

That was what I was hoping to do, make the tank the same depth as stock so the sending unit should work the same, transfer the filler, pump/sending unit over to the custom tank. Anyone ever done this??

This is exactly the setup on my dual tank (LPG/gas) setup.

The stock assembly drops in from the top and is clamped in place by a metal ring in place of the plastic screw-ring used as stock. The metal ring is held down by three nuts, there are three studs welded to the tank.

I've never had a problem with this setup, but the tank has to be reasonably deep to accept the assembly.

vetteboy said:
www.gotpropane.com

Has anybody run his kit on a cherokee? I thought it was ment to be a YJ kit and hence hood clearance wasn't as much of an issue. I keep trying to shoehorn an impco 300A onto my stock TB - it's a long story; but in short summary it doesn't fit!

Bit of a threadjack.

DirtyMJ said:
Has anybody run his kit on a cherokee? I thought it was ment to be a YJ kit and hence hood clearance wasn't as much of an issue. I keep trying to shoehorn an impco 300A onto my stock TB - it's a long story; but in short summary it doesn't fit!

Bit of a threadjack.

Really?

Crap, that's not good news. I'll have to look into that.

vetteboy said:
Really?

Crap, that's not good news. I'll have to look into that.

Well, the kit uses an Impco 225 with an integrated throttle body. I'm thinking that it might not be as tall because of this. But I'm not sure and I can't find a used 225 to try it with.

Hmm....this pic is of the kit for the 4.2L, but from this angle it looks like it's not much taller than the valve cover.

topofjeepeng.jpg

I'd just like to do it because I can build a hell of a stroker motor if I don't plan on running it with anything lower than 93-ish octane.

vetteboy said:
Hmm....this pic is of the kit for the 4.2L, but from this angle it looks like it's not much taller than the valve cover.

topofjeepeng.jpg

I'd just like to do it because I can build a hell of a stroker motor if I don't plan on running it with anything lower than 93-ish octane.

were getting off topic, but on your planned stroker how would you adjust your timeing for propane 14°-14°-14°, The 4.2 I thin you can swap over a chevy HEI with New spring weights and adjustable vacume advance like I order for mine but havent installed yet.

Basically you end up swapping over an older distributor from a 4.2...it goes right in place of the electronic one on the newer 4.0s. Aside from that I haven't run the numbers yet but I probably would just end up tweaking the distributor by feel & a timing light to get it where I want.

Why do you want a winch in the back?

Do you run big mud?

He says he is setting up to do winch events, which according to the 'off roading' article on Wikipedia...

...often involve attempting to access areas that would be impassable without the use of a winch - this can include traversing deep gullies, steep slopes and so on. Most off road vehicles that have been prepared for this type of event will typically have two winches, one at the front and one at the rear of the vehicle, each with a rated pull of over 9,000 lb.

I guess it involves getting your vehicle into rediculous situations, then extracting yourself? Not sure I understand the appeal there...

vetteboy said:

topofjeepeng.jpg

That's promising. I should hunt down a 225 and give it a shot. I found somebody that rebuilds them, so it'll cost me about $100. Actually, looking at their site they have a kit to do 4.0s now. I emailed them to make sure they are using an Impco 225.

DirtyMJ said:
Actually, looking at their site they have a kit to do 4.0s now.

Yeah, that's the one I was looking at.

I wonder if the 225 flows enough to run a stroker the way I want to. If that thing leans out at higher RPMs it would be a disaster.

Back