• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STaK 2 speed Monster box

Capt. Nemo

NAXJA Member #904
top.jpg

HPIM0692.jpg

Has anyone installed one in their XJ? The STaK website has some nice pics of an install in a TJ, but I would like to hear about and see some pics of one in an XJ. I'm considering one as an alternative to an Atlas, and I know it takes a little bit of massaging to get an Atlas in. Does the tranny tunnel need to be enlarged? Will the tranny mount support the extra weight of this t-case?

I've been searching awhile and found nothing even on Pirate. They seem great for the $$$ compared to an Atlas.

buy me one and I will install it and send you pics......heck I will even do a write up.

Eric, a friend has one on order. Should be here in 3 weeks. I will be doing the install on it, I will be sure to take lots of pictures. His is the 3 speed.

I am considering the 3 speed myself for both the jeeps.

BRIANHO13 said:
buy me one and I will install it and send you pics......heck I will even do a write up.

If you needed 4 wheel drive I might consider it.

Scrappy said:
Eric, a friend has one on order. Should be here in 3 weeks. I will be doing the install on it, I will be sure to take lots of pictures. His is the 3 speed.

I am considering the 3 speed myself for both the jeeps.

I've been toying with this for a while and have come to the conclusion that a 3 speed would be too much for me. The fewer the levers, the better :). I really look forward to hearing and seeing how the install goes. Off hand, do you know what the lag time was between order date and shipping date? I'll be calling tomorrow to get more info, but would like to compare what you say with what they tell me.

They said 3 to 4 weeks as of last tuesday. We went through Jesse at High Angle Driveline for the order.

Why dont youthink you will need the 3rd gear? If you are serious about the 2 speed, find a used atlas. With the 4 speed out, i expect many to switch.

Scrappy said:
Why dont youthink you will need the 3rd gear?

It's not so much that I won't need it, but that I don't think I have enough experience to know when one ratio in a particular situation is better over another. Gravity might help with the decision making, but I would like to know what to do before gravity steps in.

Do you have to go through a third paty, or can you order directly from STaK? I would think CA tax is involved when going through Jesse.

Any info yet on getting a STAK into an XJ? Anyone finished an install yet? I am definately interested in one, but don't know if the 3 speed is worth the extra money?

I should be installing one here this next weekend. Thats if it makes shipping. I do think the 3 speed is worth it. I know its what I will be buying when the time comes.

I will take lots of photos for the install into the XJ.

My two speed is shipping next week. I called them on Friday, since it was supposed to ship last week (on or before 7/27).

Dimensionally, the two and three speeds are the same, but the weight is around 20lbs different. Matt, I'll be looking for the pics :)

I suspect both of you guys are installing the standard box and not the "B" box. Also, what shifters did you guys go with? Looks like the TJ style shifter may work better than the universal shifters being that they are inline front to back. Does the XJ need the 4x4 light hole? What about a speedo gear, will the Stak accept the factory speedo style gear from the 231?

I guess I can call the guys at STAK on these options, but I was just curious what you guys chose.

I may order a 3 speed tomorrow.

DesertYJ said:
Update?
Did they show up?
Did they get installed?
Pics?

werd

It's sitting in my garage right now, waiting to be installed in October. I have one more run to the Rubicon at the end of the month, and then the warwagon is going under the knife. All the parts from the '88 are being transplanted on my "new" '94.

stak1.jpg

1toughxj said:
I suspect both of you guys are installing the standard box and not the "B" box. Also, what shifters did you guys go with? Looks like the TJ style shifter may work better than the universal shifters being that they are inline front to back. Does the XJ need the 4x4 light hole? What about a speedo gear, will the Stak accept the factory speedo style gear from the 231?

I believe the B boxes are intended for Toyotas.

You'd only need the 4x4 light hole if you wanted the 4x4/Low Range light to come on, it's not "needed" though like how a Rubicon would need it.

STaK uses an electronic speed sensor, same as the Rubicon and the SuperShorty SYE kits. There's no gear like on the NP231. To calibrate your speedometer/odometer you'll have to get a signal converter like the Superlift TrueSpeed or the kit from Dakota Digital.

Back