• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my plans to add to my xj lift

xtrememtbiker85

NAXJA Forum User
1995 xj 4.0ho 4dr

Currently 3.5" RE coils, Rustys adj trac bar and bracket, Rustys UCA's and LCA's, Rustys 3" aal and mj shackles. yj slp yoke for now. SS extended brake hoses and more. 32x11.50 tires (bald)

I want to buy 33x12.50 mud terrain tires to put on my Cragar soft 8's.

I am very limited on cash so here is my cheap ass lift adjustment.

TNT customs boomerang shackles 1.5" to add to my 3" aal.

T case drop

Tera Flex or RE 1.75 or 2" coil spacers

Tera Flex Quick Discos (Best i have every usesd and easiest at a great price)

Rustys HD Tie rod and Frame strengthner and steering box brace

RE HD adj trac bar and bracket

I hope to get about 5.5" to 6" of lift.

Sound good for a tight budget?

No way I can afford leaf packs or new coild or any thing i did not already mention so I will try this route.

- Kyle

That was the other thing i was wondering about b/c my upper and lower control arms are set up for a 4.5 to 5" lift and the tops have a second hole for the higher lift.

with the t-case drop you'll probly have to shim the rear pinion up about 4 degrees,
and YES drop brackets will help the ride tremendously on road and flex off-road.
to untighten the budget a lil you can squeeze by with redrilling your axle trac bar mount and clearence it with a grinder and continue running your stock trac-bar for a while.

with 5"~ lift (4.5" rusty's coils and 3/4" spacers) i redrilled my tb mount about 1/4" lower and 5/8" toward the driverside and that had the axle dead centered, or at least as good as the naked eye can read a tape measure..

JLane99XJ said:
with the t-case drop you'll probly have to shim the rear pinion up about 4 degrees,

Don't you think the shackles will move the pinion angle up more then the TC drop will move the TC output shaft down? If anything his pinion should come out too high, assuming its lined up correctly now. The pinion angle should match the angle at the other end of the shaft, not point straight at it unless he gets a SYE.

So what are my best options for the rear w/o doing an sye and shaft but still get from 3" aal and mj shackles and up to 5.5" w/o buying new leaf packs? Should I just install the shackles and put in degree shims to take the pinion back down to the same angle and the t case? Can doing this avoid needing a t case drop? What about using Engine lift mounts?

What brand of drop brackets are reccommended? What about the RE drop brackets and support braces or is there a better brand? Less $$$$?

I currently have a rustys adjustable trac bar and bracket but its clunking and worn out pretty good and cannot adjust any more, I am very dissapointed with it.

thank you

-kyle

Truk said:
Don't you think the shackles will move the pinion angle up more then the TC drop will move the TC output shaft down? If anything his pinion should come out too high, assuming its lined up correctly now. The pinion angle should match the angle at the other end of the shaft, not point straight at it unless he gets a SYE.

yeah maybe it would/should i didn't read into what he was doin to lift the rear that closely.

i know all respected technical data says that with a standard 2 ujoint drive shaft your pinion and output need to be parrallel but i had better results with less vibes if the pinion was rotated upward slightly

xtrememtbiker85 said:
What brand of drop brackets are reccommended? What about the RE drop

-kyle

trail-master also makes some (look on ebay for em or jeep board like this one)

my LCA drop brackets are 2" from stock and my machinist pal and i made em 1 night in his shop out of rectangular tubing..

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow?ID=88789410&key=EoTiqX

they may look like junk on a no goin mutha-phukr but i assure you they've been tested and work well for over 2 yrs.

the bracket is bolted into the orig lca pocket using stock hardware and using a section of 1"x3/4"id dom used as a ~anti-crush-sleeve~ inside the pocket and the rear of the pocket is also bolted into position using grd8 hardware through the original holes for the caster adjusters

541528243ealIXD_ph.jpg
not bad flex for some ghetto-fab lca brackets and custom short lca, i don't think, and yeah those are 35s

I priced everything out at RE's website (not getting everything from them) and if I bought every part I needed to add to and upgrade parts I would be spending just as much as the 5.5" xtreme duty kit costs (w/o sye and shaft)

Unless I find some way to cut back expenses I cannot afford to do this. Here are some estimated prices for NEW parts that I have looked up.

I deffinitly need a new trac bar b/c mine is about 1" too short and cannot be adjusted any more. $200 give or take.

I need coil spacers, $30, 1.5" TNT shackles $60, Degree shims? $20
HD Tie rod $100, LCA drop brackets $300, Tcase drop (home made), Longer U bolts $10, Tera Flex quick discos $110, 33's $250-600 (depending on what I get).

Things I want to get are the Rustys frame strengthner $100, steering box brace $60, 1.25" drop pitman arm.

This still excludes many things such as an sye shaft and and other items.

I already ahve longer shocks and SS extended brake hoses.

Wasnt there some pics and iformation on here on modifing your stock trac bar to work with your lift for us budget guys? Even if you dont want to go that route if someone has the link and can post it i would like to look at it for my jeep

Thanks

Here's a thought- Don't go any taller.
You have enough lift for 33" tires right now. Here's a jeep we did that has the same front coils you have:
http://www.dpgoffroad.com/images/GCXJ3.JPG
Trim the fenders, bumpstop properly and avoid all the steering linkage, trackbar and drivetrain geometry issues you are looking at with the extra lift.
Then you could invest in a good pair of rear leafs and maybe some high end shocks, like OME long travel.
Opinions vary, but that's more the way I'd go...

I have already trimmed quite a bit I was just trying to get it a little higher. Though it may be better to use soem money to upgrade soem worn out parts like the tie rod and make a few other modifications and leave it where it is height wise. What do you think?

you seem to be adding a lot of lift and a lot of parts, but you won't spend the extra $100 on full spring packs? its worth is, especially at that height. It'll make a big difference in the long run.
And do yuo really need a new trackbar and bracket? I have rustys' adj track bar, just got the new frame drop bracket, and i'm good to go up to 6" or more. I'm at 4.5" right now. Not buying the RE track bar and bracket saves you almost $200.

Hope that helps.
Chris

I figured out last night when I called that rustys will send me a new end for the trac bar so i]I can go higher if I want too. Its like $30. its more than $100 extra for leafs. the shackles are only $60 and some of the parts i listed are things i would like to get but dependign on finances i may cut it back. I am just tryign to make sure I get everythign I WILL need if I go higher and tyring to save money in some spots. thats why I am asking for opinions so I can decide what is the best way to go and what are teh necessities.

I am kinda tossed between a few ideas right now so I am looking for the best most economical advise. thanks

xtrememtbiker85 said:
I figured out last night when I called that rustys will send me a new end for the trac bar so i]I can go higher if I want too. Its like $30. its more than $100 extra for leafs. the shackles are only $60 and some of the parts i listed are things i would like to get but dependign on finances i may cut it back. I am just tryign to make sure I get everythign I WILL need if I go higher and tyring to save money in some spots. thats why I am asking for opinions so I can decide what is the best way to go and what are teh necessities.

I am kinda tossed between a few ideas right now so I am looking for the best most economical advise. thanks

$100 extra for the full leafs. $60 on a new shackle. Just spend the extra 40 bucks and get the full leafs. You will be a lot happier.

xtrememtbiker85 said:
Ok what brand and distributor for a set of $200 leafs and shipping costs?
You'll need to dig up a bit more than $200.00 for a good set of leaf packs.

Still very much worth it though...

Back