• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ CCV grommet

NorthwestWolf

NAXJA Forum User
The CCV inlet grommet on top of the valve cover in my newly accquired 92 XJ is busted. Where is the best place to get a replacement grommet and new tube from it to the air cleaner box?

Also does the grommet pull straight out of the valve cover or do I have to pull the valve cover off to replace it?

Just get one from the dealer because you dont know what kind of condition one you get from a junkers will be in. It will cost more but if you get a crappy one then you have to buy another anyways.

Get it from the dealer- when I replaced mine from the dealer it cost about $4 for the grommet, and it's a bit thicker and seals better than the one that was on there before.

and yes, it prys right out of the valve cover with a big flat screwdriver no need to remove the cover. try to separate the plastic elbow from the rubber grommet., it comes out and goes in easier as two pieces.

BCParker said:
Get it from the dealer- when I replaced mine from the dealer it cost about $4 for the grommet, and it's a bit thicker and seals better than the one that was on there before.

and yes, it prys right out of the valve cover with a big flat screwdriver no need to remove the cover. try to separate the plastic elbow from the rubber grommet., it comes out and goes in easier as two pieces.

Do a search on "Napa" and oil "blowby". Napa carries parts for the whole works if required fairly cheap. I wouldn't mess around with a used CCV. I understand they are different depending on the year.

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll stop by the dealer, which is who I figured would be the best source anyways.

The previous owner ran it for quite awhile without the hose to the air cleaner box...do you think this will have had any effects on the valve train? I haven't had a chance to pull the cover yet, but I will be soon to give it a cleaning. Just wondered if there is anything specific I should look for.

NorthwestWolf said:
Thanks for the info everyone, I'll stop by the dealer, which is who I figured would be the best source anyways.

I just picked up the whole set from Napa. It's a great deal and when it comes to vacuum I would prefer to replace all the lines and I wouldn't bother with patching them.

The part numbers:

715-1365
715-1366
715-1367

All 3 cost a grand total of $50us with taxes. The stealership wanted $150us for the same parts.

FRAM said:
I just picked up the whole set from Napa. It's a great deal and when it comes to vacuum I would prefer to replace all the lines and I wouldn't bother with patching them.

The part numbers:

715-1365
715-1366
715-1367

All 3 cost a grand total of $50us with taxes. The stealership wanted $150us for the same parts.

Awesome, I have a NAPA right around the corner, thanks for the information...and the advice about the price difference; I'm not shocked the stealership wants 3x the amount of money for the same parts.

Guys am I the only one noticing we are talking about a 92 XJ not a Renix era here.. The NAPA parts listed are for the renix era XJs i think the only source is the stealership

IIRC, the dealership sells the 1991-1996 CCV grommet as a seperate part, without the hoses. They don't sell the grommet for RENIX CCV system. I'm sure I read a post here by someone who bought just the grommet for a '92, and it was only a few dollars.

Back