• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.7 Stroker Kit

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Im trying to find a good kit to stroke my non HO 4.0. All search threads said that AP made a good kit, but now they are out of business. Im thinking Hesco would be the next logical step. They kit aparently comes with a cam, does anyone know what cam it comes with? Any ideas on this kit, or anyone else that makes a good kit. Thanks.

I am looking for info on a stroker build incidentally :)

I just wanted to point out how much money you can save by building your own stroker. I forget how much Hesco's and AP's kits are (were), but after reading Dr. Dino's writeup, I am convinced I am going to build my own. I bet I can do the whole build for well under $1500, including install, etc., although I still need to find a suitable block, and that could screw that idea......

Point being, if price is no problem, ignore me......

Oh yeah, www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com <---Dr. Dino's Jeep page

Panama XJ said:
Hesco is the finest kit, they sell their own cam, the othe company that sale strokers Kits is Speed-o-motive
What are the specs for the cam? Is it better then others, or would another cam work better?

Does anyone have any numbers for the Speedomotive stroker kit?

krakhedd, how are you going to get that low? Do you have a boring machine or something? Looking at other peoples builds, the machining cost almost as much as the parts (Thats a generalization).

It's the funniest thing, but the best results I've been seeing (in simulation) were gotten from an "off-brand" bumpstick - Wolverine/Blue Racer WG5121.

Especially with strokers.

I've been impressed enough that I'm planning on getting a couple for my own buildups - especially with low-end torque...

5-90

so 5-90.where abouts did you find out about this offfbrand bump stick and where would a guy like myself find the info you are looking at as i try to build my stroker and happen to be in need of a cam ....thanks for the info in advance.....

Maier

well witha lil more looking I think i found what you are looking at, at crane cams sight, but i would still like to see the performance specifics that you have found...thanks

Last edited:
Do you have Dyno2000, or do you not? If you do, I can send you the file - elsewise, I'd have to copy the information down for you.

It's possible to go to all the camshaft manufacturer's websites and catalogues as well - that's how I dug up data for some sixty-odd camshafts when I wrote my book.

Let me know - just so I know what format to use when I send you the data.

5-90

hey 5-90...i am basically the most computer illiterate guy around...(i know i dont have dyno2000) so if you tell me what i need to do so you can send it please do...or if you have another way go ahead with that...(hell i still cant figure out how to size down pictures on this computer, so i can post em here) really wish these things where as simple as my M-4, SR-25, or even my rem700..hell if i could i would just have you send the info to my gps atleast i can work that thing...frickin electronics....

Maier

Starboard M said:
Im trying to find a good kit to stroke my non HO 4.0. All search threads said that AP made a good kit, but now they are out of business. Im thinking Hesco would be the next logical step. They kit aparently comes with a cam, does anyone know what cam it comes with? Any ideas on this kit, or anyone else that makes a good kit. Thanks.

These pages will tell you all you need to know about strokers but the cheapest way to build one is to cherry-pick your own parts:

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html

Dr. Dyno said:
These pages will tell you all you need to know about strokers but the cheapest way to build one is to cherry-pick your own parts:

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html
Ive seen your site, and Ive read all through it, and it answered a ton of my questions. I would rather buy a complete kit and know that they are new and good parts.

Does anyone have any info on the speedomotive kit? What are the numbers for it?

If I were in the position to buy an engine assembly, Hesco would be at the very top of my list...If you have any questions, you can call Bennie at Hesco.
Their experience with jeep engines goes way back. They are by no means cheap...but they are positively anal about the quality of their stuff.

If you should decide to roll your own....Dino (Doc Dyno) has a well thought out and effective formula. The end result is very good...as his performance numbers prove. If the mighty 2.5 ever expires (again)...it will surely be replaced with a similar combination. I wonder if the 4.0 block could be bored and sleeved for a 4" bore? Hummmm...good nickle-iron sleeves like in my dragbike?

There are/were several 4.0's bored to 4" without sleves. At the time I talked to Accurate - they had a 96 with over 30K miles on a 4" bore. I would use the earlier block as its supposed to be 40 lbs heavier than the 96/97 and up lightened casting. My 060 stroker has over 30K and I'm quite sure another .060 wouldn't cause a problem; especially in a low compression street engine.

MudDawg, I originally wanted to do the Hesco kit, just because it was such a good kit, but when they said I had to drop out more the 2gs for their kit, I took a step back.

rsalemi said:
I would use the earlier block as its supposed to be 40 lbs heavier than the 96/97 and up lightened casting.

That's not true. All the 4.0 blocks weigh pretty much the same. The '00 block that I used for my stroker weighed 136lb.

5-90 said:
It's the funniest thing, but the best results I've been seeing (in simulation) were gotten from an "off-brand" bumpstick - Wolverine/Blue Racer WG5121.

Especially with strokers.

I've been impressed enough that I'm planning on getting a couple for my own buildups - especially with low-end torque...

5-90

The Wolverine/Blue Racer WG5121 has identical specs to the Crane 753905 that I have in my stroker. I agree, it's a great all round cam for a stroker. Strong low rev torque, 3100-4300rpm rpm range is phenomenal, and 4300rpm to rev limiter is still strong.

So no one has any input on the Speed kit?
Here are the specs:

bullet SOM PREP'D 99mm STROKER CRANK
bullet I-BEAM STAGE 1 RODS WITH ARP ROD BOLTS
bullet FEDERAL MOGUL CAST 9.0-1 PISTONS
bullet SEALED POWER CAST RINGS
bullet CLEVITE ROD & MAIN BEARINGS

Im not sure how much it will be when I get the .060 over as opposed to .030 over. So no one has any ideas about this kit?

Will I need to deck the block if I dont want to run 91 octane?
How about gaskets. Get factory gaskets, or some other kind?

Back