• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem after flexplate replacement

Mitch

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 Cherokee Sport with an inline 6, automatic. Had to replace the flexplate. I got it all back together and now the engine won't start. It appears to be a timing problem. The new flexplate can only be installed on the crankshaft one way, so I ruled that out. Got new plugs, cap/rotor,wires and a new crankshaft position sensor. I've got good spark and fuel. I'm wondering, is there a timing relationship between the engine and the torque converter? I've never heard of such a thing, but thought I would ask anyway. The flexplate I put in is for a 1991-00 Cherokee. It looks just like the old one. Anybody got any ideas?
Mitch

When you replaced the flex plate, did you make sure you had the correct one. There are two different ones. The ring around the outside is different. It is what triggers the CPS.

messing with the flexplate and now having no start is almost a 100% chance theres a cps sensor problem. If your pcm doesnt see a correct signal from the crankshaft position sensor it will not let the engine start!

Thanks to all who responded to my thread. Old man had it right. I pulled it all apart again and found that I had the wrong flexplate. The slots in the outer rim were off by 60 degrees in relation to the cranshaft. I went to the dealer and got the right one. It cost more than the after market one but this time I got the right one. I think the difference may be that I have what the factory calls a "high output" engine. Since I installed the after market one they won't take it back. If anybody thinks they can use it contact me, you can have it for shipping cost.
Mitch

My CPS went out on me one Friday on the way home from work. Riding down a back road at 55 and everything just quit. Kinda startled me. And then when it would crank over just fine, but not start, it kinda perplexed me. Ended up being the CPS!

5-90 Just a time or six? :D

Mitch
I could use that flexplate. Do you still have it?
Doug`

Thanks to all who responded to my thread. Old man had it right. I pulled it all apart again and found that I had the wrong flexplate. The slots in the outer rim were off by 60 degrees in relation to the cranshaft. I went to the dealer and got the right one. It cost more than the after market one but this time I got the right one. I think the difference may be that I have what the factory calls a "high output" engine. Since I installed the after market one they won't take it back. If anybody thinks they can use it contact me, you can have it for shipping cost.
Mitch

Just for clarification, are there 3 different flex plates for xj aw4?

One for the early renix, one for non HO, one for HO.

"RENIX" = "non HO," the "High Output" moniker arrived for 1991, because ChryCo electronics and some cylinder head modifications nominally increased engine output.

I'm sure there are two - RENIX and OBD - because the RENIX CKP and OBD CKP work on different principles and supply different signals.

If there is a difference between OBD-I (1991-1995) and OBD-II (1996-2001) flexplates, I don't know.

You should also bear in mind that a different part number doesn't preclude the ability to swap - for instance, there could be a mid-year change to improve hub strength (for instance) in OBD 'plates, which would allow you to use a later plate behind an earlier engine to improve parts longevity (a good example of this is the 1996-up moulded one-piece Viton oil sump gasket, which will work on ALL 6-242 engine back to 1987. I know this because I put one on my 1987 when I did the rear main back about 2002...)

If there is a difference between OBD-I (1991-1995) and OBD-II (1996-2001) flexplates, I don't know.
91-99 are ther same, part number did change when they went to OBD2 though

Thanks Rob & 5-90,
I must be confused or the conflicting info has me concerned.
Whole reason I'm trying to get this straight is for a aw4 into a 97 tj swap, I have a 95 aw4 and flexplate (# 52117761) set up for full manual shift.

Two threads, this thread and
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246054243#post246054243
seem to indicate that there are 2 different non renix flexplates. "or I'm confused " The original posters on each compared old plate with new and there were no obvious differences (I understood outcome/problem was cps windows were clocked different on the two part numbers) hard to tell when comparing side by side because the crank bolt holes look symmetrical but are not. (I also have a renix flexplate to compare, I don't think they could of confused that??)

Post 11 & 12
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246054289#post246054289

Back