• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A different cage

Zebaru

NAXJA Member #938
I am building a slightly different cage, and am still working on the fine points. Looking for some feedback on whether those in the know think this is going to work well or not. Right now everything is just tacked in place. 2" .120 HREW BTW...

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Each side will get one of these frames, and it will be stitched to the rain gutter pretty much the entire length of the top, and have sheet metal placed to tie it in to the body on the front and back edges (and match the body). I’m still not exactly sure how far back to put the b-pillar, but it will probably go a little further back than the stock door frame. I plan on running a cross connection at the dash, the top of the windshield, above the b-pillar leg, and at the back of the side hoop.

The rearmost roof will be cut, and another hoop added there with stringers to the rear leaf mount area. I will put cross bracing at the b-pillar, somewhere in the roof, and maybe between the rear stringers -and wherever else I have room. I plan on running floor bars to mount the seats and tie the two new rockers together more directly.

I have already plated the frame from the LCA all the way to the back. The rocker was removed because the Jeep was victim of a serious side collision (totaled). The new rocker is 2x4x3/16”, and will tie to the plated frame with 2x2x1/8”.

I hope I explained it well enough for everyone to envision my final product... Comments?

Travis

Great idea! I am glad to see someone doing that. when I redo my cage, I will be doing that. I think of it as a half internal half exo cage. Keep us updated for sure.

Nice!

Why not move the rear fender tube in so it's not sitting outside the body, then add sheet to "french" it in to the body?

I like it so far.

Dirk Pitt said:
Nice!

Why not move the rear fender tube in so it's not sitting outside the body, then add sheet to "french" it in to the body?

I like it so far.

That rear fender tube is just sitting on those clamps so I can see where I like it front to back, and how high I want it. At the bottom of the tube the outside will be at the current outside body line, and at the top, the inside will be at the body. I am going to then add some sheet to try to make it a little more like a flare - and not just a tube stuck on the outside. I thought about totally setting it flush or on the tube centerline, but I want a little bit of a flare look still. FWIW, the angles are the same as the stock flare, it is just stretched about 6"

Something similar will be done in the front to keep some symmetry.

Travis

EricsXJ said:
That things going to be sick Travis! :thumbup:
can we say...... you will be watched closely, VERRY CLOSELY!! keep us posted.

lookin good travis! What kind of bender are you using, I might have to get you to help me with my exo :D (p.s. this is sauce ;) )

You F this one up, and you'll be known all over the internet as the guy that tried something new....again.....and it didn't work.....again. :laugh3: I don't think that way......but prove those people wrong. I really like it so far. I've thought about something along those lines, but not to that extent, and I never would've done it anyway.

oooooo, and are you angling the rockers all the way up to the rect. tubing??? I like that.

I like it.

I did similar, but I put the tube right on top of the rain gutter and right in front of the A pillar. Mine is also welded all along the rain gutter. I figure my way will help save the A pillars and windshield better in a flop.

p10101171vg.jpg

should have out-of-the-garage pictures in the next 48 hours :D

I think anything is better than NO cage. I also think there are no rules on cages, experamintation and modification are the only way to get it right.

Very Nice! Have you thought about tying in an exo halo throught the roof for flop over protection. I think this could be an awesome internal/exo set-up, that won't look like an erector set. Still keeps the natural lines of the XJ.

Nice work!

Hey Brett, at least he's not running a poop cage. If we went by rules YOU wouldn't have PIPE in the back of yours, or running leaves in the front. I was mearly stating that we all don't have to follow one blue print. All cages are not the same. I for one like the idea of innovation. It's what keeps us all thinking of new ideas.

Shane said:
Hey Brett, at least he's not running a poop cage. If we went by rules YOU wouldn't have PIPE in the back of yours, or running leaves in the front. I was mearly stating that we all don't have to follow one blue print. All cages are not the same. I for one like the idea of innovation. It's what keeps us all thinking of new ideas.
Do you have any experience, if so lets see the cages you have built and the abuse they have taken, otherwise, go and build one and come back when you have experience.

BrettM said:
I like it.

I did similar, but I put the tube right on top of the rain gutter and right in front of the A pillar. Mine is also welded all along the rain gutter. I figure my way will help save the A pillars and windshield better in a flop.

p10101171vg.jpg

should have out-of-the-garage pictures in the next 48 hours :D

hey brett - why not have the pillar follow the body lines a little better to protect the sheetmetal? just a thought -
fdt8as.jpg

Shane said:
Hey Brett, at least he's not running a poop cage. If we went by rules YOU wouldn't have PIPE in the back of yours, or running leaves in the front.

WOW!

grow up, for the record i don't think anyone should take any advice from this guy especially after that nagging comment.:wow:

Back