• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Locker

onlyinajeep07

NAXJA Forum User
I got an 8.25 rear end and im lookin for a locker...Im thinkin detroit...just wanted to see what you guys think of different brands. Im lookin for pros and cons, so if u got somethin bad to say about a locker let me know, or if you like one let me know too

Thanks guys

what year jeep?

depending on the year you only have limited options

all years have a Detroit, ARB and some brand of lunchbox - though i dont remember now...

the earlier 27 spline versions have more locker choices if memory serves...

When I was running a 29 spline 8.25, I was very, very happy with my No-Slip. It dropped in easily and after a brief break-in period was as smooth as you could possibly ask for a full locker.

What Rd said:
When I was running a 29 spline 8.25, I was very, very happy with my No-Slip. It dropped in easily and after a brief break-in period was as smooth as you could possibly ask for a full locker.

yep i love my no slip in my 8.25 29 spline axle! it works great off road and isnt very noticable on the road

If you are going to add the locker as part of a re-gear I'd drop in a detroit. I love mine! It behaves VERY well on the street and its always there on the trail!
If you are going to just drop something in I'd go with the powertrax no-slip locker.

get a no slip. cant go wrong with it.

i have a detriot in my d35. works very well on the street and reliable when you hit the dirt. my brother has the powertrax no slip in his 29 spline 8.25, and if you no one tells you whats in there, you wont know the difference. both lockers will hold up to the abuse you through at it. now, if you have the funds for say an arb, or an OX locker, (selectable) i would go that route. the fact that you can disengage the locker while driving in the streets will be worth the extra money. you also save tire wear. goodluck.

What Rd said:
I think it needs a new spring kit now. JIM.

Running PowerTrax front and rear. Works like a dream on and off road. Minimal noise when turning. This is my DD and I like having full time locker in the rear and full time four wheel when I engage 4WD. The price was right as well as the simplicity of installation.

I have the 29 spline 8.25 and I have broken two no-slips. Last year I went with the Detroit and have had no problems since. I highly recomend it!

UtahFire said:
I have the 29 spline 8.25 and I have broken two no-slips. Last year I went with the Detroit and have had no problems since. I highly recomend it!
elaborate a little more.

lunchbox's are fine for the tire's you should be running with the gears you have available for an 8.25 once you go bigger you are gonna want something more dependable.

I Swore by my no-slip for years until under NO extreme circumstances I stripped the teeth off it

ILLXJ said:
I think it needs a new spring kit now. JIM.

Hi Jim! So she's showing a little age finally? Any idea how many miles (or how much trail love) you've put on it since adopting from me? I ran it DD and regular wheeling for about a year and a half before going with my current D44/ARB and 4.88s. I have no idea the numbers, but I did a lot of DD driving. What kind of symptoms is it giving you? Let me know what a new set of springs does for it.

Well its a 27 spline in my 96, and i was already thinkin about detroit, but what are some options for a selectable locker? Links would be helpful if you know of any.

Thanks Again

Mark

onlyinajeep07 said:
Well its a 27 spline in my 96, and i was already thinkin about detroit, but what are some options for a selectable locker? Links would be helpful if you know of any.

Thanks Again

Mark
only selectable that i know of is an ARB for that axle...

I've seen a few no-slips on the trail........slipping

the drivers couldn't tell that it was slipping BTW

detroit and 29 splines while you're at it if you have the means.

Ramsey said:
elaborate a little more.

I put in the no-slip and took my XJ to Moab. Everthing was working fine until I applied some throttle to a ledge. Two teeth on the syncro-ring broke off. I could still drive it but when I turned right it made a horrible noise. I had JR at MS Conception Motor Sports remove the no-slip and put in the replacement unit (I did'nt have the time to do it myself). It worked for about a month until I was just driving on the freeway the same thing happend again. The powertrax people said my carrier might have a flaw in its size.

Anyway, I got a refund on the no-slip and purchased a Detriot from Rocklogic in Salt Lake. I have not had a problem since. The road behavior is as good or better than the no-slip. I think the automatic transmission smooths out auto lockers.

Good luck!

Back