• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re hack and tap and xj dront drivshaft?

brandon11130

NAXJA Forum User
will this work?? using a the re hack and tap and use the stock front drivshaft? i have heard of people using it, and its cheap to get a xj front shaft from a junkyard if it breaks. i have a bout a 5 inch lift in the back.
are there any other alternatives?

I have 3" of lift and an SYE kit from PORC. I am using a front drive shaft at the back and have not had problems with it. My only concern is the length. It has only 3" of movement on the slip joint. Sitting in the driveway it is already extended 2". I am hoping it will not come out at full drop or while it is flexed.

You will also need an adapter flange,it will increase the length also.
http://www.rockforddriveline.com/Shopping/R2-21-1229.asp
404-31fy.gif

RCP Phx said:
You will also need an adapter flange,it will increase the length also.
http://www.rockforddriveline.com/Shopping/R2-21-1229.asp
404-31fy.gif

I am actually looking into this conversion. I will have to change the yoke on the TC to a flange type to accomadate the one from Rockford. How much longer is it? With the flange, one could add a 1" spacer between the TC and drive shaft to gain additional length (maybe more). There goes carring only one drive shaft for both front and rear. I got back home last night from a tour of duty in New Orleans and should have a week or so to look into this.

i've had it done for a couple weeks, running 4". it looks like the length might be kinda close. i havent had a chance to take it offroad yet though. i'll know soon enough

brandon11130 said:
will this work?? using a the re hack and tap and use the stock front drivshaft? i have heard of people using it, and its cheap to get a xj front shaft from a junkyard if it breaks. i have a bout a 5 inch lift in the back.
are there any other alternatives?

if you use the porc sye yoiu dont have to buy the adaptor os it kinda works out the same ..unless you have a pre 97 t case then IRRC you save money..
aslo you didnt mention which rear end you have ..some have a longer pinion length

measuremnts from "center of axle to center of pinion yoke"
D35=11 1/2"
D44=12"
C8.25=12 5/8"

i should probably save for the real sye since i eventually want to run both d44s or d60 front and rear and do leafsprings upfront.

but if i am going to upgrade to big axles with 4.88 or 5.somthing gears should i think about geting a more beefy t case? i have the np 231

you have to use that with the hack and tap, that is the spicer adapter that is needed. 211229x i believe. around 50 60 bucks

brandon11130 said:
i have a 96 xj with a chrysler 8.25 in the rear

IMO you are good to go
get the hack and tap if you wish..
I used one for a year or so and never had an issue
good luck
report back on the install and how it works
also you might want to consider getting some degreee shims to point the pinion at the t case now

aww so its not a way around the sye, im confused i thought the hack and tap was a primitive sye or somthing,

so i need the 200+ dollar sye (which site has the cheapest price on a sye)

then i need that plate thing and that spicer thing $150

then i need the drivshaft $20

If you do the HD SYE(AA,JB's,PORC) then an adapter is not needed.Its only required for the H-n-T style.Thats also a good reason for the HD units,on both my 95 and my 2000,the driveshafts are interchangable front-to-rear.

brandon11130 said:
aww so its not a way around the sye, im confused i thought the hack and tap was a primitive sye or somthing,

what plate thing? if you have a 96+ you can get a hack and tap for about 80$, if its older its a good bit more.

brandon11130 said:

MMMMM, the tech is strong in this one.
yoda-13.jpg

Ramsey said:
what plate thing? if you have a 96+ you can get a hack and tap for about 80$, if its older its a good bit more.

so the hack and tap does what, still allows the slip yoke in the tcase but also lets u use a cv drivshaft?? please explain

sory i really dont have a lot of knowledge in the transfer case dpt.
im 16 and trying to learn.

brandon11130 said:
so the hack and tap does what, still allows the slip yoke in the tcase but also lets u use a cv drivshaft?? please explain

sory i really dont have a lot of knowledge in the transfer case dpt.
im 16 and trying to learn.
Don't worry about it, man.
It'll come with experience.
Stick around and just search for whatever, just for the hell of it.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/sye.html - Currently in process of being updated as I remove the RE Hack-n-Tap and install a PORC SYE, so look for updates in the next couple days.

I'll probably sell the flange portion of the H+T but need to take the driveshaft over to a shop to balance it...I think it may be outta balance.

Back