• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny swap

chubbyhick

NAXJA Forum User
o.k. i did a search and i am still not sure what to do. I have to replace my clutch. i am working on an 89 mj 4.0. it has the peugeot 5spd and 231. while i was taking it apart i figured i would just go ahead and swap in a ax15 and 231. my question is, is this a diresct bolt in or what. i read alot of stuff about internal to external slave. is the internal that bad or what? what are the benefits of the external? is changing the slave cylinder around worth it. this mj is mostly a trail smasher. every now and then i drive it to work just for the weird looks. so this being said, what is the best route to take. thanks

The AX-15 and NV 3550 is close to a direct swap. I'd go external slave, since its easier to replace if it goes bad. If the internal one goes bad, you have to take out the tranny to replace it. I'd try and get the complete unit, with clutch fork, shifter every thing. I'd guess $600-800 for an AX-15 with external slave complete and $800-1000 for a NV 3550. The main problem (not really a problem) is getting a tranny mount to match. If I went AX-15, I'd get the tranny cross member off a Cherokee that used an AX-15 and the tranny mount. I went with a NV3550. I still haven't figured out the mount. I was told to use a newer TJ mount and that fits the tranny mounting holes. It leaves to much space for my '88 cross member and seems to need some spacers for the '92 cross member I have. AQnother person told me I'd have to relocate the cross member back, using holes already in the frame. He did a NV3550 swap. I don't see that working for me though.
Tom

Back