• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I’m looking at these CO2 setups

Bronco

NAXJA Forum User
[font=&quot]I have been scamming to get an extreme air compressor for a long time, but the time has come and I’m looking at these CO2 setups thinking they sound pretty good. What they have going for them is they are cheaper (at least up front), quieter, and they would perhaps be less likely to break down. In the against then column you have to get then filled now and then. So for those of you using these setups how do you like them? I will be running my 1 ARB and filling my (and probably my friends) tires after runs. How long will a do you get between fills what size tanks do you have? Do you wish you got a bigger one or smaller one? Who has a good setup? Where should I get one. Thanks for any help.[/font]

what size tires? and if you do you and your friends you'll probably want a 10lb or 15lb tank, possibly a 20lb. I have a 5lb tank and its pretty damn small. i can fill all four of my 31s maybe about 2 or 3 times(dont fully know because i havent used it only to fill tires, it has other duties.)

edit: heh just noticed your from Cameron Park, pretty cool im from Sac!

I love my setup! Didnt cost too much either

Got the 15 lb tank from here http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/tanks/co2.shtml

Regulator from here http://www.offroadair.net/

Mounting bracket from here http://www.powertank.com/start.htm The bracket cost a little more than i cared to spend... but it allowed me to mount it right where I want it. Did get the Pirate4x4 discount on it though.

p10905803mf.jpg

Go to a welding shop. I already had a 20# tank cost me $12.00 to exchange for a full one. Less than a $100.00 for regulator and adapters. From what I have read a 20# tank should fill 30 to 50 tires, depends on size and pressure of tires.

I have a 10LB. tank and while I like it and it fills my tires quickly, it is expensive. I probably go through 6 or 7 tanks a year and at about $15 a fill up that ain't cheap. Also, when you run out and only have 3 of your tires filled it can be a PITA.

opracer315 said:
Go to a welding shop. I already had a 20# tank cost me $12.00 to exchange for a full one. Less than a $100.00 for regulator and adapters. From what I have read a 20# tank should fill 30 to 50 tires, depends on size and pressure of tires.

Most of the exchange tanks are the hella heavy steel ones though

Found a 20# "out of date" steel tank at a garage sale for $5, had it swapped at the local welding shop we use for a 20# aluminum tank for $30, added a fixed regulator for $25 and I'm good to good for a total of $60.

It's large enough to fill scads of tires or run your impact wrench or whatever. We pay about $16 for a 20# refill around here. I was paying $14 for a 10# refill so the labor involved in doing it must dictate the cost to a large degree, not the amount of gas.

Thanks for all the comments? I’m feeling very educated. I run 33’s and will never likely go any bigger (thinking about going back to 32’s). If I go this route rather than the extreme air I think I would get at least a 15Lb if not a 20.
So Jes are you saying you wish you had purchased a bigger tank or you wish you bought a compressor?

Last edited:
Bronco said:
So Jes are you saying you wish you had purchased a bigger tank or you wish you bought a compressor?

Well it's hard to say.
It was a good investment(at the time 4 years ago) and it fills tires faster than anything else but it gets expensive to fill when you use it as much as I do and it's a PITA to have filled since there isn't any place near S.F. to have it done.
An electric compressor is not on my wish list but an engine driven York would be a nice thing for me to have.

For those of you who have them do you know if it would be possible to use them as an air tank. I need to run my ARB and I have a small compressor that I use for that now. I’m thinking that if for whatever reason I ran out of CO2 could I use the compressor to pressurize the CO2 tank so I would not lose the ARB.

Bronco said:
For those of you who have them do you know if it would be possible to use them as an air tank. I need to run my ARB and I have a small compressor that I use for that now. I’m thinking that if for whatever reason I ran out of CO2 could I use the compressor to pressurize the CO2 tank so I would not lose the ARB.

As long as you have the right fitting on the end of your air hose (the one from the compressor), I wouldn't see why not. But then again... I don't have one ;)
Billy

I guess what I’m worried about is if the regulator would prevent backflow into the tank somehow. If not I’m thinking set up the compressor on a pressure switch so if the psi dropped the compressor kicks on.

dmillion said:
Where'd you find a fixed regulator for $25?

Local welding shop...I got it about 18 months ago at PraxAir in Auburn, WA.

Bronco said:
I guess what I’m worried about is if the regulator would prevent backflow into the tank somehow. If not I’m thinking set up the compressor on a pressure switch so if the psi dropped the compressor kicks on.

The co2 in the tank is stored at a nominal pressure of 1800 psi in a liquid phase. Your compressor won't be overcoming that, irrespective of the regulator.

I don't think it would be an issue if you actually ran out. And for the most part, you'll likely have enough residual pressure to get out of the woods anyway.

JeepFreak21 said:
Hmmm... how do they fill it with CO2?
For a definate answer, you could call/email any of the companys that make/sell regulators.
Billy
I assume they take the regulator off to fill it. I would need it on to have the system go into compressor backup mode without manually re-pluming it.

Bronco said:
I assume they take the regulator off to fill it. I would need it on to have the system go into compressor backup mode without manually re-pluming it.

I'm sure you could adapt some kind of "T" fitting with one side that only allowed air/CO2/gas in and only with some pressure behind it (like a big shrader valve).
Billy

Back