• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sucessful Dakota lift!!

Bradley

NAXJA Forum User
I installed my dakota lift in the rear of my sagging xj last week and everything went well except for the shock bolts;) I kept the rear main leaf so I would not have to mess with the eye bolts. I installed my used Dakota leafs under the main xj leaf but I did not install the helper spring at the bottom. I went from 15 3/4 in the rear to 20" with this setup. I am awaiting my shocks from Kevinsoffroad.com who is the best vendor to work with as I have been a cust of his since he was just making sliders for ZJ's. I have not lifted the front yet that should be this week prob thursday. That will just be some 2" pucks I got of the sale forum. BTW I will be using monotubes in the rear as my shocks now are really just to keep it driveable until I made my decision on which shocks to get. Sorry no pics.

I did the same lift for the rear I used 1995 springs, but any spring under setup will work. I used stock main leaf, cut the stock dakota main leaf to size, used all dakota leafs except the overload, and used the bottom xj leaf. I think the lift was 5.5in, before it settled to 5.

I have no idea what year they came from so 3" over stock and 4.25 over my sagging rear.HAHA that is funny. I also cut the eyes off but the dakota leafs go just to where the stock leafs start to curl for the eye. I like it so far but we will see when the shocks come.

good deal
kudos to you for making yoiur own

just for some info for anyone reading this

I netted about the same using an entire sset
of
99 xj leafs
cut the main leaf to fit under my main leaf
and the used all the leafs cept for the second overload leaf which I left out

Bradley said:
I installed my dakota lift in the rear of my sagging xj last week and everything went well except for the shock bolts;) I kept the rear main leaf so I would not have to mess with the eye bolts. I installed my used Dakota leafs under the main xj leaf but I did not install the helper spring at the bottom. I went from 15 3/4 in the rear to 20" with this setup. I am awaiting my shocks from Kevinsoffroad.com who is the best vendor to work with as I have been a cust of his since he was just making sliders for ZJ's. I have not lifted the front yet that should be this week prob thursday. That will just be some 2" pucks I got of the sale forum. BTW I will be using monotubes in the rear as my shocks now are really just to keep it driveable until I made my decision on which shocks to get. Sorry no pics.

Are you using the stock shackle?

we just used dakota leaves on a xj this weekend...left the overload leaf on though...it doesnt hurt the ride and keeps the tires from flexing up in to the metal...for the most part...clears the 33"s quite well...

VegasAnthony said:
I netted about the same using an entire sset
of
99 xj leafs
cut the main leaf to fit under my main leaf
and the used all the leafs cept for the second overload leaf which I left out

Just to make sure I'm reading this correctly. You now have 9 or 10 leafs in one pack? You gained like 1.75" just in leaf thickness? Is this what you're saying?

Anyone try a Durango? Seems like they would of been made for less payload and maybe flex better?

Co-worker has a 97 Durango.... I have a RE 3.5 lift.... looks like his has a little more arch than mine!

Jason

I found leafs of a 89 dakota toady. If I use the whole pack under my main, what kind of lift should i expect? Really, I am looking for no more than 4" net.

roXJeepr said:
Just to make sure I'm reading this correctly. You now have 9 or 10 leafs in one pack? You gained like 1.75" just in leaf thickness? Is this what you're saying?

I used a XJ pack and ended up with a total of 7 leafs for about 4" of lift and a 1" shackle lift

yea its a lot of leafs but its VERY flexy and thats what I was trying acomplish

somethin wrong with that??

cjwalkeriii said:
I found leafs of a 89 dakota toady. If I use the whole pack under my main, what kind of lift should i expect? Really, I am looking for no more than 4" net.

No one can tell ya exactly ..its kinda hit and miss,, depending how much weight you carry in the back..

put the pack together and see what happens
the worst thing is that yoiu dont get enough lift..if so yoiu go back to OEM and try some diffrent springs
if you have to much then just remove one or two..till ya get what ya need

you will need to buy some new center bolts
ps
buy extras just in case :exclamati

ok. makes sense. Now say if I get the ass end up to 4", I need to lift my front. With 4" in the front (3" rusty's spring + spacer) do I need new lca's? This si my dd so driveabilty is a BIG concern. THanks again

I run 4.5 inches in the front. I use the RE Drop brackets with the stock CA's. Works great, rides better then when I was at 2 inches. At 4.5 inches, you'll need either the drop brackets or longarms to have a good daily driver. Plain Adj control arms just won't cut it.

cjwalkeriii said:
ok. makes sense. Now say if I get the ass end up to 4", I need to lift my front. With 4" in the front (3" rusty's spring + spacer) do I need new lca's? This si my dd so driveabilty is a BIG concern. THanks again

prolly

when you lift the front its gonna change your caster/camber

you will probably get some DW(death wobble)

and your axle willl probably shift over
then youi will need a new trackbar..
perhaps a trackbar bracket (depending on the type of TB you get)

heres what happend to me

I lifted mine witha 2"BB everything was Ok then I went to 4.5"

I had to get new LCA
Track bar
extended brake lines front and rear..
and trim the fenders
t case drop

all said it cost me about $500
in new parts
to lift it to 4.5"
then I put the BB in and
I had to get
upper control arms
sye and DS
new rear leafs..

basically what im trying to say is the diffrence from 2" to @5" is a whole bunch of $$$
some folks get away without buying all the above parts but they are few and far between
problem is that each XJ is diffrent and you dont know what youll need untill you lift it..

read this thread
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67988

Bradley said:
I installed my dakota lift in the rear of my sagging xj last week and everything went well except for the shock bolts;)

Congrats.... I also did the Dakota route...My lift came will an AAl so I have the XJ Main, AAL, Dakota Second, Dakota Third, + 1.5 inch block. I had to build the springs a couple of times to get them to flex decently. I tried many combonations but I finally desided the small block had to go in.

I have heard that they do not flex that well... Here are som pics of me flexin at a local scramble area.

http://webpages.charter.net/laurajeff44/MIJeeps/flexn_Oct2005.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/laurajeff44/MIJeeps/flexn_Oct2005_2.jPG

VegasAnthony said:
I used a XJ pack and ended up with a total of 7 leafs for about 4" of lift and a 1" shackle lift

yea its a lot of leafs but its VERY flexy and thats what I was trying acomplish

somethin wrong with that??

Nothing wrong with that! Just wanted to make sure I read it correctly. It actually sounds like a good set up. I'm not real happy with my dakota lift, however it's WAY better than what WAS on it. To do what you did though, I would've had to bought 2 set of xj leafs because mine were total garbage. I probably shouldn't have even used my mains.

Back