• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual/Automatic AWshifter

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
For about a week now, I've been running one of BrettM's AWshifters on my '94 XJ with AW4. We wired it up and got it all in shape about two weeks ago, but I didn't get it mounted until the weekend. For about a week I was running it without problems in full automatic mode, just like it came from the factory. Since last weekend, I've been almost always manually shifting.

I mounted mine over the change slot in my console. I cut out the tray and mounted a piece of aluminum with self drilling screws.

It's an easy reach and the only thing blocked is the little tray. I ran in automatic the first night I had the shifter, and if I get a call on my cell phone, it's nice to be able to put it back into automatic. (I try to not talk on the phone when I'm driving, though.) The knob sits close to the mount plate, and the torque converter toggle switch can be mounted nearly flush (like I have) or sticking up some.

The relays and whatever else comes in the kit is put together in a pretty small bundle, and can hide behind the lower part of the dash. Mine actually isn't even secured, it just sits up there so nice.

Brett included a simple but good diagram of the wiring schematic, along with all the connectors I needed to put everything together. I ran the ground wire across the cab to a ground screw on the left side of the driver's footwell. I'm sure I could have grounded it on the passenger side if I had a drill to mount a grounding screw.
The left picture below is in first gear, TC unlocked, and the right picture is in automatic. My order - and I beleive it's the standard order - is counterclockwise 1-2-3-4-A, but if you want something else, talk to Brett.

I painted part of my console body color green because I'm bling like that.
I'm really happy with my new shifter, because it gives me something to do, I have better control over the transmission, and anyone else can still drive my Jeep (not that I'd let them). So if you were interested in the Auto/manual shifter, it works, and if you weren't interested, check it out anyway. All the cool kids have them, now.
If the images stop working, try http://img87.exs.cx/gal.php?g=console2yq.jpg
I'm running my first full manual tank of gas through it right now, so I'll see if anything happens to my MPG. It's usually right around 15MPG.

hey, wow, thanks for the pictures Phil. Phil's was the first installed prototype of the auto/manual, I've been running the manual only for over a year, 10,000+ miles and lots of wheelin. Just to let you guys know, I've made a few refinements since Phil's prototype. If you look at his picture of the control box, it now fits all in the box, no relays hanging out. Also, you won't need to run your own ground wire now. I've also refined the directions and diagram so a chimp could wire it up.

nosajwp said:
Will this work on a 2001? What kind of effect does it have on mileage?
check the "order" page of the website for info on the shifter in your 01.

I would not anticipate any miraculous increase in gas mileage with the shifter, but with more control over the tranny it is possible to make it run at a better RPM for some situations and therefore get better gas mileage. Lets wait and see what happens to Phil's mileage after a few tanks, though I would guess he is driving more agressively and having fun with the shifter, which would hurt mileage. I get 18-19mpg in mine when I have my 33s on, but there are tons of factors going into that.

i love the idea, and the guy who invented it(heh... not literally) but... is there a way to include a different switch? something less-gay-hardcore? are there any options? i really dont like the 1930s AM radio knob look...

Purple said:
i love the idea, and the guy who invented it(heh... not literally) but... is there a way to include a different switch? something less-gay-hardcore? are there any options? i really dont like the 1930s AM radio knob look...
put whatever knob you like on, Radioshack has several. The rotary uses a 1/4" shaft.

beautifull:) thank you:) i cant think why i did not think of that myself... ..

Purple said:
beautifull:) thank you:) i cant think why i did not think of that myself... ..

wow glad I did

is it really that bad guys? :) those I just get from RadioShack, nothing special, do I need to start getting different ones and provide a choice? Some radioshack options:

t274-416.jpg
t274-424.jpg
t274-402.jpg
t274-403.jpg
t274-415.jpg
t274-433.jpg

BrettM said:
Could anyone with questions either post them here if they are generic, or email them to me (at the address given under "contact" on the site) if they are specific. PMs get to be a hassle.

thanks!
Brett-
You have email! (and maybe a guniea pig!) :laugh3:

Earlier tonight, I didn't have good grip on the knob because my hand was oily and sweaty, and the knob has large flat spots. I had a pretty relaxed grip, though, and when I really grabbed the knob, I was fine. I may take a look at other knobs in case there's something I like more, but the regular knob is good when you pay attention.

Damn, this is way too cool. It's on my list for the XJ once I make head way with the mods already in the queue (Brett, I think I'll get one before the YJ is ready for it).

Now, if we could replace the rotary knob for a little joystick/shifter that works kinda like a little tiptronic style shifter that would be very cool. :)

I'm not terribly fussy about the style of the knob either, but it does't really matter. I'm sure getting a electronics bits catalog can solve that.

r@m

Can I stick in a fake clutch petal so I can at least pretend I'm double clutching? :laugh3:

Just kiddin', Brett. Really, I'll be getting one for my '93 some day, but I'm still really nostalgic for good ol' hard core shifting. When I was alot younger (and alot smaller) I used to ride in my Dad's TR-3, sitting on the driveshaft hump behind the seats listening to him run through the gears (that was before we got all worried about seats belts and all that safety gear :lecture: ).

Hey! Could you rig it up to push buttons like an old ca.'60 MOPAR? That would be coooool

Keep the faith,
Good work!

XJ Dreamin'
stock 2WD'93 XJ, 4.0L HO, AW4, LT 235/75R15A/T's

nosajwp said:
This is a really awsome idea...is there an increased risk of transmission damage using this kind of shifter?
The unit itself has no chance of hurting the transmission, but because you have manual control you certainly can hurt the transmission by not driving properly, just as you can with a manual transmission. Do not drive 15mph in 4th gear, or 70mph in 1st gear, etc.

Back