• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone ever try this???

Hmm. I run (as many in the UK do) my XJ on LPG, which I take to be the same as propane. I notice very little difference in performance, and a lot of difference in my wallet, since LPG's half the price of gasoline.

The general blurb on that site is somewhat misleading in places:
1 The octane rating is high at 100, but the calorific values are lower, so you do lose a little power compared to gasoline (5-10%, depending on the system installed).
2 Of course the propane system is sealed (it has to be because the bl00dy stuff's a gas unless pressurised, right?!), but that won't mean that you won't ever flood your engine. How many water crossings to normal XJs do without getting into trouble? I wouldn't take that stuff too much to heart.

But enough pedantry...

The good side of LPG/ propane is that it's cheap, clean and cheap! Jeeps do convert easily to it, and both multi-point and single point injection systems are used with success. You'd get as many opinions on which is best as with which suspension lift is best, so you'll have to do your own homework on that one, I'm afraid.

Personally, I won't run anything as thirsty as a jeep on anything else - gasoline over here costs $6.50 a gallon, or thereabouts, with LPG costing half that, so the conversion pays for itself within a year or so, under normal driving conditions.

Tanks for them either go in the trunk (like mine), or under the body, with a little 30 litre gas tank there too. If you opt for that route, you lose about 3" clearance, but for a DD, who cares? If you choose the tank in the back, you have to have the dog on the back seat, so it's really swings and roundabouts.

And another thing!!!! (Coz it won't let me edit my last post...) :doh:

Normally most LPG cars start on gasoline and switch over to LPG/ Propane once running. They start easier that way. Mine starts on gas, I rev to 2000 and the solenoid switches it over.

Chancer said:
And another thing!!!! (Coz it won't let me edit my last post...) :doh:

Normally most LPG cars start on gasoline and switch over to LPG/ Propane once running. They start easier that way. Mine starts on gas, I rev to 2000 and the solenoid switches it over.
Thank you for the information, what kind of system do you use? Is it possible to use both systems? Start and run on gas normally, or flick a switch and it starts on gas and rhen runs on LPG?

Propane had a short lived popularity in the US back in the mid-'70s when it was cheaper than gasoline. There's not a lot of advantage today other than the novelty. The tank installation is always a problem because it isn't packaged as efficiently as a gasoline tank and you usually would want double the volume because of the availability of propane. If gasoline in the US were double the price of propane, then it would be a different story.

JeepinAudiophile said:
What kind of system do you use? Is it possible to use both systems? Start and run on gas normally, or flick a switch and it starts on gas and rhen runs on LPG?

I've not really got into this part of things terribly deeply, but I think that I have a single point injection system, controlled by two little boxes labelled Leonardo & Princi respectively (told you I don't know much about it!). I have a little switch on the dash that gives me an LED display showing how much fuel's left, and it switches between LPG and gasoline only. If you've got it switched to LPG, you automatically start on gasoline and it switches over when you rev the engine. Other hardware in the engine bay includes the plumbing (to a solenoid which switches between the 2 fuel forms), which then runs to a condensor, which in turn pipes it to the throttle assembly.

HTH

Last edited:
Back