• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Trouble?

CRAIG-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with a Selec-trac. It seems to go into 4wd in full time but doesn't always go into 4wd in part time. Does anyone have any sugestions or similar problem?

Are all your tires the same size? The 242's take a little time (driveshafts have to spin the same speed) for it to shift properly.

I did have a similar problem, sounded like linkage to me as well so i replaced the bushings but thats it...hasnt happened yet but then again i've only used it once....what are FSM methods?

After running in some deep snow or after it's been below 20* or so, I have to go pretty slowly, sometimes even stopping to back up, to get my 242 to disengage. Are you talking about going from 4Hi to PT or just right into PT? I can't hear/feel anything going from 4Hi to PT, but just going straight into either I can hear and feel a soft click/clunk.

I don't have FSM. The Tech at the dealer thinks its a bad transfer case. He can't explain the problem. I don't believe it wouldn't it be more likely for full time not to work than part time. Can anyone suggest a method to test it prior to me replacing it with one from a boneyard?

CRAIG-XJ said:
I don't have FSM. The Tech at the dealer thinks its a bad transfer case. He can't explain the problem. I don't believe it wouldn't it be more likely for full time not to work than part time. Can anyone suggest a method to test it prior to me replacing it with one from a boneyard?

Drive it in a straight line and shift in, wait, shift out.

Well make sure all the tires are the same size, same air pressure, and drive it in a straight line on the street shifting. This will mean the front and rear driveshafts should be spinning at the same speed and it should shift in/out of each position easily. If it doesn't then maybe the problem is in the t-case. If it works fine then it is working normally for a 242.

CRAIG-XJ said:
I have a 2000 XJ with a Selec-trac. It seems to go into 4wd in full time but doesn't always go into 4wd in part time. Does anyone have any sugestions or similar problem?

I don't quite understand your problem... the shifter goes 2HI-4PT-4FT-N-4L, which means you have to go through 4 part time to get to 4 full time, so how could it work in the second position but not the first?

Does the shifter not want to move past a certain point? Does it not stay engaged when you put it into position? Does it just not shift into 4wd smoothly? If the vehicle hasn't been used in 4wd much since new, sometimes the T-case needs breaking in. When our '01 Limited w/ 242 T-case was new, it took a fairly firm hand to get it to shift through all the positions. Now it works just fine.

I highly doubt you have any problems with your T-case... how's the fluid level? How many miles on it? Has it been operated in 4wd much?

It lever is not the problem It moves to all positions just fine the problem is the front wheels don't lock in always. The T-case isn't making any strange noises but I went to pull it into 4wd on an icy trail and it didn't engage even when i stoped and locked it in.

CRAIG-XJ said:
It lever is not the problem It moves to all positions just fine the problem is the front wheels don't lock in always. The T-case isn't making any strange noises but I went to pull it into 4wd on an icy trail and it didn't engage even when i stoped and locked it in.

Did you visually verify that the front driveshaft was turning?

I had to get used to shifting my 242 I find it takes a bit of time to shift also, and it shifts better on the fly. I just get moving at a decent speed let off on the gas and shift to what I want and it shifts with a small 1-2 second delay.

If I try to shift it while parked I might have to shift into reverse and drive to get it to shift, so If I figure I might need it to get out I park it in the selection I want.

Anyone here with a 242, I've been driving around constantly in full time during the winter and I can here the Tcase whine when up to normal road speeds, is that normal or am I low on fluid? It doesn't sound bad or anything but I can hear it. Oh yeah I don't have any carpet or anything also.

I really don't want to crawl under there and check right now. Its neg 32 Cel today.

CRAIG-XJ said:
No is was at night.

At night, on an icy trail... is it possible that the front axle was being driven but the tires had no traction then, hence appearing to have no 4wd? Does it exhibit the same behavior in a controlled environment?

We're Having A Blizzard Here In Connecticut 4wd Seem To Be Working Fine. Maybe It Was Just The Driveshafts Wern't Spinning At The Same Speed. Have You Ever Heard Of A Tcase Having An Intermittent Problem Or Is The Tech At The Dealership Just Trying To Make Money.

CRAIG-XJ said:
We're Having A Blizzard Here In Connecticut 4wd Seem To Be Working Fine. Maybe It Was Just The Driveshafts Wern't Spinning At The Same Speed. Have You Ever Heard Of A Tcase Having An Intermittent Problem Or Is The Tech At The Dealership Just Trying To Make Money.

Transfer cases are so simple that they either work or they don't... and if they don't it is usually quite evident. I bet the dealership tech is just trying to take your money.

CRAIG-XJ said:

The transfer case has spring loaded shift forks to prevent forcing into gear and grinding. When the t-case is bound up it will not shift until it becomes unbound (same front/rear driveshaft speed). If you went into Full Time on ice you might only get the rear to spin since the differential in the t-case is open and will transfer power to the end with the least amount of traction. For conditions like that Part Time will lock the differential so power goes to both the front and rear. It is possible to have an intermittent problem but I don't think you have one.

Craig, Remember the definitions of Part time and Full time when it comes to a 242.

Full Time: I can drive it "Full Time" like this. Distributes power only where needed.

Part Time: I should only use this "Part of the Time". Gives power everywhere.

I think your case is fine. Use Part Time when you know you need it. Use Full Time when you THINK you might need it.

Back