• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy & install gears?

mission-inc

NAXJA Forum User
4 wheel parts is taking FOREVER to get my gears and debating the idea of going to another shop and having them order the gears and install them.

Where would you guys recommend to order gears from and also a place to have them installed? I live in the Cupertino/San Jose area.

Thanks for the input.

I was hoping for a close place that would require as little driving as possible. Thanks anyway.

I've talked about to Ryan (Raw Brown) as well and suggest him. As far as install there is a guy I found in Roseville (Sac area) that installs the gears for $250/axle which isn't that bad. I'm going to have him set up my hp44/9" pretty soon if things go as I plan. There is a guy on Pirate (Peak ZJ and Porc) I believe they are called in the vendor section that are reasonable as well for gears/install kits. I got quotes of $400 for both sets of gears and install kits made by Yukon, they are both in GA. I also have a guy in Reno that I traded my YJ for his CJ and he is a good fabricator and his bro sets up gears cheap, like under $250 or so. Pm me for more info.
Troy

Do you have prices better than $250/axle Billy/Brett? I just talked to the guy and he said he can set up and arb and gears for $350/axle. Which I know if very good because an arb is not easy to set up. He charges $300 to weld on the RE 4 link to my hp44. And I found 2 places on Pirate that I can get both sets of gears and install kits for $400 shipped. I've just been doing some research lately and trying to pass it along to you guys. :wave:
Troy

mission-inc said:
I was hoping for a close place that would require as little driving as possible. Thanks anyway.
Check with Mike at Rearend specialties in Santa Clara, ok prices, much better then four wheel parts! He did my gears and ARB's for a good price that I brought to him. I don't know if he sells gears and lockers but I beleave his work over the monkeys at 4WP!

Here is a web site with address and phone #
http://www.rearendspecialties.com/

Letterman said:
Check with Mike at Rearend specialties in Santa Clara, ok prices, much better then four wheel parts! He did my gears and ARB's for a good price that I brought to him. I don't know if he sells gears and lockers but I beleave his work over the monkeys at 4WP!

Here is a web site with address and phone #
http://www.rearendspecialties.com/

What did is cost of the gear and locker install per axle David? I know someone here in Sac that does a locker/gear install for $350/axle and just gears for $250/axle. The $350 price includes setting up a arb and gears. With that price in mind, I'm thinking of getting a arb for my hp44 which now has a lock-rite already in it.

Never go to 4 wheel parts, period. Don't ask, long story.

Rearend Specialities in Santa Clara will do gear set-ups for $150 an axle if you just bring them the bare axle (ie- no shafts, brakes). They typically charge an additional $75 for ARB installs b/c of the drilling and tapping of the diff. They charge more if they have to disassemble the axle themselves to get at the gear set.

Talk to Alex at Performance Off-Road Center. 1-866-540-7672 www.performanceoffroadcenter.com They've got the best prices on gears and lockers hands down. He's in the vendor section as well. Don't forget your install kits for your gears.

You've asked alot of questions in the past about suspension stuff, driveline stuff, and now gear stuff. I don't want to come across the wrong way, but it might be good to search the web and call around first. After you've got some information on your own, it might be better to then post up and ask if a particular price is good, a particular product decent, or if a particular company does good work. I'm not saying this because I don't want to help you out (see the first part of this post), but because you will learn A TON by doing the leg work yourself. You might even discover something that we all have missed...

They charge $75 more to set up an arb over the $150 to set up the gears? If so, that's a great price. I will be giving the guy here the axle to put into my xj and getting my axles in there now unbolted and out of there. Do you have the # for Rearend Specialities in Santa Clara? If not I can look them up. Who have you dealt with over there? Thanks for the heads up. :wave:
Troy

The $150 price is if you give them your own parts. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Bring them the bare axle (okay to have the old gears still in the diff.), install kit, and gears = $150.

Letterman has the number in his post.

Capt. Nemo said:
Never go to 4 wheel parts, period. Don't ask, long story....

SO TRUE!!

Capt. Nemo said:
Rearend Specialities in Santa Clara will do gear set-ups for $150 an axle if you just bring them the bare axle (ie- no shafts, brakes). They typically charge an additional $75 for ARB installs b/c of the drilling and tapping of the diff. They charge more if they have to disassemble the axle themselves to get at the gear set.

Talk to Alex at Performance Off-Road Center. 1-866-540-7672 www.performanceoffroadcenter.com They've got the best prices on gears and lockers hands down. He's in the vendor section as well. Don't forget your install kits for your gears.

That is about what Rearend Specialities charged me for mine, the only thing that they did NOT do is drill the oil drain hole on the drivers side for the arb. (it is a new thing for the new style ARB's) So if you take your axle there make sure to ask him to drill this hole. I had grear oil comming out my breather till I fixed it myself.

Also I got my gears and lockers from Alex at PORC, great price.

Oh and Capt. Nemo I saw your mug and rig in the back of some January mag, Great photo nice job!

Rawbrown has some great prices on parts and install/fab. I think I will make the trek to the Southern side of the state and have him do everything for me. He's a heck of a nice guy. I've got quotes from Peak ZJ and Porc on Pirate, but Ryan has beaten those quotes and his gear/locker/fab quotes were very reasonable for the work involved.
Troy

Back