• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's the best clutch?

Which is the best Clutch?

• LuK or LuK Pro Gold

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Centerforce

Votes: 42 50.6%
  • Xtreme Terrain Concepts

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • OEM Replacement

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Beej

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, I did a search and came up with general opinions, but no detailed information. I need to replace my clutch pretty soon, and I want to know what you have used, liked and disliked and why. I can get all of these clutches through my local distributor, so I would love to hear what you think I oughta run: LuK (regular and Pro Gold), Centerforce, Xtreme Terrain Concepts, and OEM replacement. Any input is greatly appreciated. If you vote other please let me know what you suggest. Thanks everyone!

Your northern buddy,
Beej.

My original XJ was bought new in 1988. The original clutch lasted 204,000 miles, which included a lot of normal daily driver duty, a trip across the country carrying about 3x the rated payload, some trailer towing, and some wheeling at Paragon and a couple of other locations.

I had to replace the clutch because the release bearing failed, and it didn't make sense to take it apart and NOT replace the clutch. But there was plenty of material left on the clutch -- you could barely tell the old one from the new one.

The Centerforce is designed to provide easy peddle pressure while using centrifugal force to provide better engagement pressures at high RPM. It's a good clutch, but I just don't see how it has any applicability to an off-road (or even street) vehicle that doesn't routinely see 6,000 to 7,000 RPM.

definitely go OEM. it costs more, which means you probably won't, but it will save you a shitload of time, what with actually GETTING the right part, rather than just wanting it and keep receiving the wrong one from a parts store moron. i tried to go cheap and buy an aftermarket clutch, ended up getting wrong one, couldn't return it, cost me time and money, and ended up having to buy an OEM one anyways. if only we all weren't so cheap. as for the longest lasting one, an OEM clutch will last longer than any aftermarket clutch, hands down.

Blair Williams said:
definitely go OEM. it costs more, which means you probably won't, but it will save you a shitload of time, what with actually GETTING the right part, rather than just wanting it and keep receiving the wrong one from a parts store moron. i tried to go cheap and buy an aftermarket clutch, ended up getting wrong one, couldn't return it, cost me time and money, and ended up having to buy an OEM one anyways. if only we all weren't so cheap. as for the longest lasting one, an OEM clutch will last longer than any aftermarket clutch, hands down.
Maybe I wrote some prices down wrong, but the quotes i got were:
Luk: 268.57
Centerforce: 365.00
Xtreme Terrain: 215.54
OEM: 197.42
Those are all Canadian dollars.

So for me, the OEM is the best deal.

I had the clutch replaced 3 times (don't ask) using a Luk, some other name that escapes me, and OEM. Not that the Luk was a bad product, but I could discern a positive difference with the OEM clutch. Sure, it's more expensive, but certainly worth it IMHO.

Beej said:
What's your reasoning? Not that i am questioning it, but I just wanted to know why as well.
Thanks!
Beej.

I've seen too many problems with the counter weights doing weird stuff behind the 4.0. I have had great use of them behind Toyota's and others but just no luck with 4.0s.

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
I've seen too many problems with the counter weights doing weird stuff behind the 4.0. I have had great use of them behind Toyota's and others but just no luck with 4.0s. hinkley
thanks.
Beej.

Hey beej, what's new. I haven't seen you on any trails recently. Still got that 97? Go with the OEM. I've done it and have been happy with it. I've still got a centerforce on my chev, it seems to work well, but you know how i like to drop the hammer in it! :D Like ol eagle said, it ain't necessary for trails or street, and won't last any better than OEM. For us bc'ers, its cheeper to go OEM, so jus do it as they say. PM me or email me, I got a new trail in Cowichan that you would dig, Buck n' me are going this wkend. He's actually giving me time off, the miserable ol fart! Only cuz im bringin the beer eh? We could bring the bikes too if you want, have you bought one yet? D'OH! Get a job buddy!!!!

Island XJ said:
Hey beej, what's new. I haven't seen you on any trails recently. Still got that 97? Go with the OEM. I've done it and have been happy with it. I've still got a centerforce on my chev, it seems to work well, but you know how i like to drop the hammer in it! :D Like ol eagle said, it ain't necessary for trails or street, and won't last any better than OEM. For us bc'ers, its cheeper to go OEM, so jus do it as they say. PM me or email me, I got a new trail in Cowichan that you would dig, Buck n' me are going this wkend. He's actually giving me time off, the miserable ol fart! Only cuz im bringin the beer eh? We could bring the bikes too if you want, have you bought one yet? D'OH! Get a job buddy!!!!
Dude. I'm good. and i am working you prik. I haven't bought a bike because the student loans just started coming out monthly. They suck. Looks like I will do the OEM, rae ran it hard into the ground. She wore off my sidewalls on curbs, and has all but eaten this clutch with riding it. So before I get a bike, i damn well better buy her a car of her own! How's buck doin anyway. His last posts on here were pretty bitchy! And um, its thanksgiving! How'd buck make plans to get away this weekend? I know you don't have a life.... call me on Friday, if i can get away for a bit, me and the boy will join you up there. How far up is it?
Beej.

Beej said:
Dude. I'm good. and i am working you prik. I haven't bought a bike because the student loans just started coming out monthly. They suck. Looks like I will do the OEM, rae ran it hard into the ground. She wore off my sidewalls on curbs, and has all but eaten this clutch with riding it. So before I get a bike, i damn well better buy her a car of her own! How's buck doin anyway. His last posts on here were pretty bitchy! And um, its thanksgiving! How'd buck make plans to get away this weekend? I know you don't have a life.... call me on Friday, if i can get away for a bit, me and the boy will join you up there. How far up is it?
Beej.

I'll call you.... po'boy. Its ust past the Malahat. Good easy run for an afternoon. It gets harder as you go up the trail but when we get to 3/4 of the way up, we can take the bikes to the top. Bring yer fishing gear, couple of clear lakes up there we can get to easy. can the boy drive a quad? He can use deejay's. Its an 80.

Island XJ said:
I'll call you.... po'boy. Its ust past the Malahat. Good easy run for an afternoon. It gets harder as you go up the trail but when we get to 3/4 of the way up, we can take the bikes to the top. Bring yer fishing gear, couple of clear lakes up there we can get to easy. can the boy drive a quad? He can use deejay's. Its an 80.
I think El's mom would literally give birth to a cow if she knew I let him drive DJ's quad. Even if it is only an 80. We'll figure something out. I'll call you Thurs aft.
Later,
Beej.

I'd go with a standard Luk. I put one in a couple months ago and love it. You can ride an OEM all day, but the Luk does grab a bit better and you can ride it when you need to pretty easy.

Ibby said:
I'd go with a standard Luk. I put one in a couple months ago and love it. You can ride an OEM all day, but the Luk does grab a bit better and you can ride it when you need to pretty easy.
what did you pay for it?
beej.

FYI, I stopped by a friend's garage on Saturday. He just replaced a clutch for a friend of his in the AMC owner's club. The vehicle was an '88 or '89 Cherokee, 4.0L, that has been used to tow a rather large boat. He showed me the clutch that came out -- you could still see the grooves in the lining, and there was LOTs of lining remaining. Just as with my clutch replacement at 204,000 miles, this one came out because the slave cylinder failed.

This one was also up over 200,000 miles.

Eagle said:
FYI, I stopped by a friend's garage on Saturday. He just replaced a clutch for a friend of his in the AMC owner's club. The vehicle was an '88 or '89 Cherokee, 4.0L, that has been used to tow a rather large boat. He showed me the clutch that came out -- you could still see the grooves in the lining, and there was LOTs of lining remaining. Just as with my clutch replacement at 204,000 miles, this one came out because the slave cylinder failed.
This one was also up over 200,000 miles.
that makes me wonder if mine really even needs replacing. I only thought so because it seems to slip and allow a bit more gear grinding than i like to see, but then again, this is my first truck and I am not as used to the heavier clutching. How will I know if it really needs to be replaced?
Beej.

I have the centerforce 2 clutch in mine. Had it for about 8 months now. Absolutly no problems. The 2 stock one I had in the past were good also. Like what others have said, my stock ones wrere only replaced because the internal slave went out. They both had plenty of material left on them. However I do like the centerforce better than stock. I have not noticed the grabbing that some have mentioned. At this point if the slave goes out again I would replace it with the center force.

Back