• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99, 00, 01 alternators - what's the deal

can't really help you right now. However my Fiancee rebuilds starters and alternators for a living. I'll be going to the shop shorty and I'll see what I can find for ya.
Tony

sarvermr said:
the alternator on my 2000 is fried. whats the deal with the 99-01 alternators. they are a different part #, but i can't find any info why. can i still do a cheap alternator upgrade like this on my 00?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172316

what makes them different than the 91-98 alternators?

thanks, matthew
Had the same problem. These guys built me a 165 amp for my '99 for $179. That's $100 less than the stock price.
http://www.4alterstart.com

tchase said:
can't really help you right now. However my Fiancee rebuilds starters and alternators for a living. I'll be going to the shop shorty and I'll see what I can find for ya.
Tony

ok, thanks

kid4lyf said:
Had the same problem. These guys built me a 165 amp for my '99 for $179. That's $100 less than the stock price.
http://www.4alterstart.com

thanks, i saw that in some of your previous posts. i'm beyond broke and was wanting to buy a used 5.9 grand 150 amp alternator. it looks like it works fine with the 91-98 xj's, but it appears that it won't work on the 99-01 xj's.

this is what my alternator looks like:

211-0117_E.jpg

this is what the 91-98 alternators look like:

ppw05.gif

its obviously not just a plug and play, but does anyone know if i can make this work?

btw - here is the 5.9 150 amp alternator
looks the same as the 91098 xj's

211-0129_E.jpg

sorry to say I couldn't come up with much info on you alt. All I could find was that it is still a nippondenso, not sure what the differences are. Any good rebuilder should be able to rebuild yours as a higher output version though for much less than the cost of a new one. We could do it but you'd have to ship it to canada, probably not what you wanna do

Tony/Kim

The deal is that the 99-01 use a different altenator because the voltage regulator is built into the computer. This is what i have heard so far, since ive been looking for a new altenator too. Ill let you know what i find as far as an upgrade. I know mean green makes one specifically for the 99-01, but it goes for something like $350 and its a 200-amp

alright, did'nt see the picture, I might be able to find that in the supplier catalogs and see what other applications and outputs there are. What are the part numbers on it?

tchase said:
alright, did'nt see the picture, I might be able to find that in the supplier catalogs and see what other applications and outputs there are. What are the part numbers on it?

mine has the oe part number 56041822aa. that is the same as denso part # 211-0117. it is 117 amp. i'm running a winch and stero amp so i'd like to get something with more than 117 amps. ideally a bolt in alternator with more amps that i can get at a junkyard instead of forking over the big bucks for a mean green or custom built one. any leads would be greatly appreciated.

olympic4x4tech - thanks for the info. keep me posted if you find anything good and i'll do the same.

sarvermr said:
mine has the oe part number 56041822aa. that is the same as denso part # 211-0117. it is 117 amp. i'm running a winch and stero amp so i'd like to get something with more than 117 amps. ideally a bolt in alternator with more amps that i can get at a junkyard instead of forking over the big bucks for a mean green or custom built one. any leads would be greatly appreciated.

olympic4x4tech - thanks for the info. keep me posted if you find anything good and i'll do the same.

Has anyone got any further information on this? I need a new alt ASAP and would love to get this info so I can upgrade if possible.

Short of posting a new thread I thought it would be better to revive this one. I am looking to do the same upgrade with a 00 xj. Does anyone know if the 117 is the only drop in alternator and if so what xj's would they come from? I.E. sport, limited.....

ALL Nippondenso alternators used in Jeeps are externally-regulated by the PCM, from 1991 up. That's what the two extra connections are for - they're the field feed from the PCM/regulator.

If you want a rewind, hit the link in my sig and go to San Jose Generator and see what Rod can do for you.

Rumor has it 2001 Alternators were 120 Amps....good swap for earlier years, mine has performed like a champ under heavy loads

Back