• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting gears....4.56 or 4.88????

Which Ratio 4.56 or 4.88's for 80/20 rig

• 4.56's

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • 4.88's

Votes: 32 59.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BornAgainXJer

NAXJA Forum User
I want to put some gears in and not sure which is better for a daily driver. I would say it's 80/20.
I have 6 inches of lift and 33's. Also I have never messed with my axles and it's inner workings.
I am wondering how envolved it is and if it's something that I could do.
I have friends that have installed their own gears and said it was a pain in their ass and wouldn't do it again.

do you have an auto?

you will spend as much if not more money on tools (if you don't have any of them) than you would on "professional" labor.......

should you do it yourself?

how good of a wrench are you?

whats the most difficult job you've pulled on your jeep?

I suggest that any skilled and confident jeep wrench attempt an R&P job, but ONLY WITH THE PROPER TOOLS.

an R&P job is not technically difficult, its time consuming and tedious.

it can be made less time consuming and tedious by having proper tools of good quality.

I won't touch another R&P job unless the axle is "benched", and I can work on it sitting on a stool.

I won't press on or fpress off bearings unless I have a shop press to do it on, I don't have the patience for bridge pullers anymore.

set-up bearings are a must.

good tools are a must, and bullshit tools should be thrown away.

check out west coast diffs for a good faq.

I guess raw brown has one too, but his site wasn't working when i tried it.

I am in the same situation, need to regear- i have been quoted $1500 twice for r&p and install. For this price i'm sure i could get the parts, and pay for the right tools. Also, once i've learned i'm likely never to have to pay someone to regear me again. It's a worthwhile investment, now all i needs is sum lernin'. I have an 8.25, plan on buying 8.25 or d44... so i can have time to do it slowly and correctly. (which ever i find first or cheaper) I have read many threads, and etc. but am still unclear as to how to regear myself. Anyone know a tech page that(is working) and has a good step by step process of regearing?

JeepinAudiophile said:
I am in the same situation, need to regear- i have been quoted $1500 twice for r&p and install. For this price i'm sure i could get the parts, and pay for the right tools. Also, once i've learned i'm likely never to have to pay someone to regear me again. It's a worthwhile investment, now all i needs is sum lernin'. I have an 8.25, plan on buying 8.25 or d44... so i can have time to do it slowly and correctly. (which ever i find first or cheaper) I have read many threads, and etc. but am still unclear as to how to regear myself. Anyone know a tech page that(is working) and has a good step by step process of regearing?

Factory Service Manual or a dana service manual, that's about it for detail. A D44 is different than an 8.25. A D35 is different than a D30. D30 is simular to a D44.

I know there is mannuals out there, try pirate's(POR) tech section or just google until you get lucky. Just try differnt combos of key words. "keyword keyword" quotes are awsome.

As far as the expensive tools you need: Shop press (at least 12ton) and plates, Bearing separtor ~($50 - 75), 450lbs Impact wrench (maybe higher if you have a crush sleeve), Compressor, spreader

Small cheeaper tools: Caliper, dial indicator and stand, copper hammer, brass punches

Tha average price in Fresno is $300/per axle for labor. If you invest that in tools, you still have tools. The press and impact are very nice to have in any garage.

Beezil said:
do you have an auto?

you will spend as much if not more money on tools (if you don't have any of them) than you would on "professional" labor.......

should you do it yourself?

how good of a wrench are you?

whats the most difficult job you've pulled on your jeep?

I suggest that any skilled and confident jeep wrench attempt an R&P job, but ONLY WITH THE PROPER TOOLS.

an R&P job is not technically difficult, its time consuming and tedious.

it can be made less time consuming and tedious by having proper tools of good quality.

I won't touch another R&P job unless the axle is "benched", and I can work on it sitting on a stool.

I won't press on or fpress off bearings unless I have a shop press to do it on, I don't have the patience for bridge pullers anymore.

set-up bearings are a must.

good tools are a must, and bullshit tools should be thrown away.

check out west coast diffs for a good faq.

I guess raw brown has one too, but his site wasn't working when i tried it.
I would rather learn and own the tools to be able to do this in the future. I believe I am pretty mechanically inclined. I haven't torn apart my motor or anything like that but I have RK's Long arm kit and I didn all that myself also put advanced adapters HD kit in myself didn't know what I was doing going into but I learned and nothing's gone wrong thus far. What r set-up bearings? Oh and yes it's automatic.

BornAgainXJer said:
I have a D35 :rattle:
I'm currently looking for a D44 but I really need gears badly. So if I can't find one soon I am just going to gear the 35 and deal with regear a new axle.

Are you looking for a locker and if money isn't a problem, at least get the super 35 kit. Otherwise your buddies will be the ones crying.

ChuckD said:
Are you looking for a locker and if money isn't a problem, at least get the super 35 kit. Otherwise your buddies will be the ones crying.
Yeah, the thing is I don't really want to invest all that much money in the 35. But I am willing to do r & p to better the highway ride right now it's just not acceptable.

I don't have the money to go buy a new axle so i have to wait for a D44 to come around. When I said money isn't an option I ment that for the r&p. When I do something I want to do it right the first time without any cheaping out or anything you know what I mean.

Back