• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon patrol vehicle.

Jes

NAXJA Memeber #293 URF Racing
NAXJA Member
Here's Eldorado County's new vehicle for patroling the Rubicon.
picture.JPG

Interesting that they decided to use an XJ, I guess no one still builds a suitable vehicle for this duty?

Jes

Maybe it was chosen for the fact that it can incarcerate suspects properly in the back seat, seperated from the officer by a steel cage. You couldn't really do that in a TJ or covered wagon.

Badass, though. Hope to see them out there more often on big weekends, especially during no-fire season.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Maybe it was chosen for the fact that it can incarcerate suspects properly in the back seat, seperated from the officer by a steel cage. You couldn't really do that in a TJ or covered wagon.

I'm wondering why they didn't use modern SUV like a KJ, Chevy Trailblazer, or Ford Exploder? :)

Jes

BTW, I got that picture from Del Albright of FOTR.

They went on the Media run at EJS in Moab last week, wouldn't be surprised to see it in a feature in the future. Funny thing tho, they were wrenching under it with the officer in the seat when we went by. TC

That's pretty sweet. I wonder whose parts they are using and who gets to wrench on the thing?

Jes:

You wouldn't happen to have a bigger picture of that, would you?

CRASH said:
CRASH

Bah... just handcuff em to the roofrack like the Israelis did to their POWs

Hey Sean, do you think you'll get a chance to actually see that thing in action sometime this summer? :geek:

:D

That certainly is one sweet looking rig!

But...... I sincerely hope that none of you actually believe that Sheriff's Department really uses it for "Rubicon Patrol".....

Other than the factory installed, fender mounted stereo antenna, did anyone else note that there aren't any other radio antennas on the Jeep? I'd imagine that if anyone at EJS looked that Jeep over, they didn't see any Police-type radio equipment in it.

Also, did anyone else see that the rear side windows were plastered with sponsor credits? Any Law Enforcement agency that uses it's own money to build a special-use vehicle wouldn't be putting any credits on it.

That XJ screams "criminal property seizure" and the Sheriff's Department decided to use it as a promotional tool. I'm diggin' it though!

Sure would be sweet to see it used for real trail patrol duties, but it's not likely.

My Department has fiddled around with promotional vehicles as well. A couple of Deputies campaigned a '68 GTO that was seized from a drug case. That car had tons of sponsors that did the body work, paint, built the engine, custom interior, tires and wheels, big sound system...etc. They used it at the local drag strip during "High School Drags" events to promote the Department and the DARE program. Was a very sad day when the insurance lawyers decided that they couldn't justify a policy for a law enforcement vehicle used for those reasons. The GTO went to auction.

One of the same Deputies has built up his own vehicle - a '46 Ford 4dr that's painted black and white with period-correct radio, lights and siren. The Department lets him put magnetic decals on it to promote the Department at car shows, but the entire project is funded by the Deputy and donations from other Deputies.

I'd be willing to bet that the guys that use that XJ probably are doing the same thing that our guys did with the GTO. I dunno how else they'd be able to take a true law enforcement vehicle out of it's jurisdiction to use for promotion.

Wheew! That's enough outta me! I'm just jealous that I can't do the same thing! :worship:

YELLAHEEP said:
That certainly is one sweet looking rig!

But...... I sincerely hope that none of you actually believe that Sheriff's Department really uses it for "Rubicon Patrol".....

Wheew! That's enough outta me! I'm just jealous that I can't do the same thing! :worship:

Actually, that jeep will be used this season up on the Rubicon. Last year FOTR and the Rubicon Oversight Committee got grant money for LEO's to have quads on the 'Con. As Crash mentioned, the Sheriffs department needs alternate ways to pull DUI offenders off the trail other than a) helicopter or b) shooting them on the spot (my personal favorite).

We have seen a certain "bad" contingent using/abusing the Con in the past years. In order to save our crown jewel, a concerted partnership between the FS, Eldo Cty, Placer Cty, Land Owners and other stakeholders thought it would be a good idea to have more LEO presence on the trail. Of course budget dollars were limited, so folks got creative in building that XJ. It was dragged out to EJS this past week by the folks that built it and will likely get it's finishing touches before the snow melts.

SeanP

and goat, I will be a wheeling fool this year. so close, so close.

SeanP said:
That;s why we should all have shovels when we wheel. Next time you see a shovel strapped to the rack of a heep, now you know ;)
I guess the ax is for when the terrian is rocky and you can't dig really big holes but can dig a dozen small ones?

Back