• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bridgestone Dueler A/T or BFGoodrich A/T KO's?

mike(nj)

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting new tires(31's) this week and it comes down to these...... which ones should I get? I drive about 95% on road and they will be mostly for when it snows out. Thanks

BTW, price is almost the same $113 and $115 so thats not a factor.

I think the K/O's are very good tires for a daily and they are very good in the snow. Good long life as well.

Curt

Mike.... first of all, I will say BFG AT's all the way :) I drive about 120 miles each working day (60 each way) and I must say that the BFG wears great! Also it's not too noisy (I know it bothers some....) but it's not super quiet either.

A different question that I gotta ask is why 31's?? Weren't you on 32's 2 weeks ago??

get the BFG's. i have the 31" KO's and they are great. i like them a lot better than the bridgestoners. they have a better meaty look to them too. if you are gonna take it off road at all, youre better to go with the AT's. my $0.02...:)

I am in NJ and have the 31" KO's. they rock in the snow and I don't think they are noisey at all. My XJ is my daily driver and I drive about 50 miles a day for school and work. They also seem to do well in the sand down in the pine barrens.

John

You should consider the Dueller AT Revos. I don't have any personal experience with them, but all I have read is that they are an excellent tire both on and off road. They're probably going to be my next tire when my Yokahamas Geolanders wear out, which by the way are excellent on the road. :D

I have both on my GC's. The duelers are great tires, but having both I am buying the BFG's for my XJ I am currently building. They are a little more aggressive, no louder, and excellent in all around conditions.

I have had 3 sets of the Bridgestone Dueller A/Ts. For a daily driveing and casual offroading I dont plan on ever having a different tire. They wear like iron and are not very noisey, not even my mom can notice them. I think they are better than the BFG A/T, I have ridden on several trails with friends who have the BFGs and where they have trouble getting through, I dont with the Bridgestones. And this was before the gears and lockers. The little snow that NC gets, the tires stuck to the ground great! It was almost not fun driving in the snow because it wouldnt easily slide around. For a daily driver, casual offroading, and snow I would recoment the Bridgestones.

AARON

I think for that much road driving I would find an AT that has good water channels and grooves. The BFG doesn't have grooves for water evacuation.....

Kejtar, I was thinking either 30's or 31's as I only have Rusty's BB right now. I'm crossing my fingers there won't be too much rubbing when I get the 31's.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Revo's but I think Costco only has the standard A/T's.

If I get the KO's how many miles can you get out of them. On the BF Goodrich site it doesn't say.......Bridgestone said 50,000 for theres.

Thanks, Mike

sheesh... easterners... trying to confuse me... now there seems to be 2 NJ Mikes LOL :D

In any case, out of my first set of BFG (pre KO) I got close to 50K miles out of them and sold the XJ with a fair amount of tread. The next set that I had on my new XJ survived about 55K and I talked myself into the fact that there isn't enough tread left for me to drive on them (emphasis on "talked myself into" :) ). This current set has over 20K (or so) and so far wear is showing very little. 2 months ago (at about 15 ~ 16K or so) I have put on a new tire to replace a blown one and I had them measure tread difference then, and it really wasn't much..... Now I don't think I could really distinguish between which one was new and which ones were old.....

I'm not sure about what kind of wheeling you guys do in the NJ area, but.... if you do encounter rocks, I like the 3ply sides. On my old XJ I had a HUGE hole (ok, not huge, but pretty big nevertheless: big chunk of rubber missing) ripped out of the side (not sure when or where) and I drove on it for a long time......

I recommend also getting your tires from a place that gives you free lifetime balance and rotation. I do mine religously at about every 3K ~ 5K miles and I think that helps to keep the wear even....

30" or 31".... hmmm that is a good question. I had about 3.5" when I got my 31" and I'm kicking myself for not getting 32". I'd say do the 31" as you will most likely grow soon :D You probably will have to limit the steering stops a bit, but that's easy..... also you might want to have them test fit you with tires so that you can see how they'd fit.

mike(nj) said:
If I get the KO's how many miles can you get out of them. On the BF Goodrich site it doesn't say.......Bridgestone said 50,000 for theres.

Thanks, Mike

I got almost 70K on my last set. This set isn't holding up as well because my front end wasn't in very good shape and I have uneven tire ware.

They do last.
Curt

I put BFG AT KO's on last year, january I think. Bought them at BJ Wholesale for an even $100 or $103 a tire mounted, balanced and lifetime road hazard all in that price. Picked up a 3" long ring shanked nail about last april or may in the sidewall. Went back to where I bought them after putting on my spare and they had a new tire on and I was out the door in 20 min. I plan on buying my new 31's there, or where they 32's, for a 5sp, 2000 TJ sahara I'm looking at buying, they have them for IIRC $107 or $109 each and up here they don't charge you extra for getting rid of your old tires either. Love those hidden charges :mad:

I still miss my Pirelli Scorpion AT's though on wet roads but I refuse to pay $150 a tire + mounting, balancing from the local pirelli dealer.

telemike said:
I think for that much road driving I would find an AT that has good water channels and grooves. The BFG doesn't have grooves for water evacuation.....

The BFG's do excellent in the rain. I can run the 5.9 down the highway in pooring rain with never the hint of hydroplaning, they also stop great, no sliding. The Duelers also do great in the rain.

Well, ended up getting the KO's.........they rub on the LCA's so i'll have to shim them but thats it so far. I'm glad I went with the 31's.:)

Kejtar said:
shim LCA?? just limit the steering stops with washers

Yeah, thats what I mean.:anon:

Re: Re: Bridgestone Dueler A/T or BFGoodrich A/T KO's?

OILBURNER said:
Didn't read all the other posts, but Sam's Club has the BFG's for $105. :)
I sure like mine! :D

I would imagine they don't happen to have 33's over there? Well, it is worth a try I guess.

Curt

Back