NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion > Paint and Bodywork forum
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Paint and Bodywork forum Around here sheetmetal is optional but if you are going to do it, do it right.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 27th, 2017, 16:37
orangetrek's Avatar
orangetrek orangetrek is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Grand Falls Windsor, NL
Posts: 23
Regretfully looking for opinions

Below are a few pics of what im up against trying to make a bush rig out of my 99 xj (going out to catch a trout and the like). I bought this thing in 2005 and for the past few years she's been laid up (in less than ideal conditions obviously) and ive been looking forward to getting 'er back on the road.

I wasn't going to bother posting pics of this heap but at this point i think i need some unbiased perspective.



passenger side







Front drivers side







Interior





Ive busted off 90% of the bolts that are removed.... do your worst folks, greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 27th, 2017, 16:50
orangetrek's Avatar
orangetrek orangetrek is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Grand Falls Windsor, NL
Posts: 23
Re: Regretfully looking for opinions

... ive got ruffstuff front and centre stiffeners in the mail to help the frame
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 27th, 2017, 19:33
orangetrek's Avatar
orangetrek orangetrek is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Grand Falls Windsor, NL
Posts: 23
Regretfully looking for opinions

Gas tank armour. 4 - 17mm and 2 - 18mm bolts. Only one broken. Things are looking up.





Mufflers not supported now...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 27th, 2017, 22:22
orangetrek's Avatar
orangetrek orangetrek is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Grand Falls Windsor, NL
Posts: 23
Re: Regretfully looking for opinions

Ok. Im figuring nothings beyond fixing. Love the forum. Appreciate the lack of input. Means i should keep going
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 27th, 2017, 22:49
Hypoid's Avatar
Hypoid Hypoid is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 6,999
Re: Regretfully looking for opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangetrek View Post
Ok. Im figuring nothings beyond fixing. Love the forum. Appreciate the lack of input. Means i should keep going
Please excuse my state of shock. Is this amount of rust common for Newfoundland?

Do you know how to weld? Do you own a MIG welder? You can order all kinds of body parts. Hopefully you have something to attach them to.
__________________
The Lost Boys' motto: We don't know where we are going, but we'll be there for awhile...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 27th, 2017, 22:54
orangetrek's Avatar
orangetrek orangetrek is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Grand Falls Windsor, NL
Posts: 23
Re: Regretfully looking for opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoid View Post
Please excuse my state of shock. Is this amount of rust common for Newfoundland?

Do you know how to weld? Do you own a MIG welder? You can order all kinds of body parts. Hopefully you have something to attach them to.
I have a welder. Im a little ways away from figuring out what exactly i have to do here. This rig wouldnt have lasted so long if only in NL. In ON until 2007
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:55
Kittrell's Avatar
Kittrell Kittrell is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Broomfield, CO
Posts: 11,414
Re: Regretfully looking for opinions

You can get a whole new floor pan or try to patch what you have.

Full Floor Pan

Individual Floor Pans

You can do a rocker replacement and I would just swap out the doors for healthy ones.

2x6 Rocker Replacement

I know you already ordered stiffeners but these guys make the best version out there.

Full Stiffener System

Not something you mentioned, but something I noticed. You can get this to replace your broken center console bracket.

Bracket
__________________

Last edited by Kittrell; March 1st, 2017 at 10:58.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 1st, 2017, 11:50
old_man's Avatar
old_man old_man is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Posts: 15,303
Re: Regretfully looking for opinions

I hate to say this, but it needs a lot more than a floor pan. The "frame rails" appear to be toast as well. If the drive train is still good, I would look for a body only and swap every thing over. I did this when my I taco'd my old rig. As it turns out, I snagged a body only from a club member for hauling it off.

The shear amount of work replacing all the sheetmetal and getting the structural integrity back could end up taking multiple hundreds of hours, not to mention the cost.

It would be worth it to drive a few hundred miles and drag a different body home on a rented trailer. You life would be a ton easier and you would start with a known quantity. Just the cost of getting all the sheetmetal, getting everything sandblasted, and the metal stabilized, could run you $1000. Around here I can snag you a running vehicle with minimal rust for maybe $1500.
__________________
Tom Houston - Former Colorado Chapter President & Terminal Adrenaline Junkie
Loveland, Colorado
You're just jealous because the voices don't talk to you.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 1st, 2017, 11:54
notamos's Avatar
notamos notamos is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 343
Re: Regretfully looking for opinions

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. There's nothing there that is worth your time/money. I'd find a new<er> one w/ MUCH less rust. That thing is terminal, call hospice.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 1st, 2017, 12:32
orangetrek's Avatar
orangetrek orangetrek is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Grand Falls Windsor, NL
Posts: 23
Re: Regretfully looking for opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittrell View Post
You can get a whole new floor pan or try to patch what you have.

Full Floor Pan

Individual Floor Pans

You can do a rocker replacement and I would just swap out the doors for healthy ones.

2x6 Rocker Replacement

I know you already ordered stiffeners but these guys make the best version out there.

Full Stiffener System

Not something you mentioned, but something I noticed. You can get this to replace your broken center console bracket.

Bracket
Those stiffeners look like a better option for sure... i should have done more research. The more i tear away from the thing the better idea ill have just exactly what im dealing with. Thanks for the links!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old March 1st, 2017, 12:40
orangetrek's Avatar
orangetrek orangetrek is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Grand Falls Windsor, NL
Posts: 23
Re: Regretfully looking for opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man View Post
I hate to say this, but it needs a lot more than a floor pan. The "frame rails" appear to be toast as well. If the drive train is still good, I would look for a body only and swap every thing over. I did this when my I taco'd my old rig. As it turns out, I snagged a body only from a club member for hauling it off.

The shear amount of work replacing all the sheetmetal and getting the structural integrity back could end up taking multiple hundreds of hours, not to mention the cost.

It would be worth it to drive a few hundred miles and drag a different body home on a rented trailer. You life would be a ton easier and you would start with a known quantity. Just the cost of getting all the sheetmetal, getting everything sandblasted, and the metal stabilized, could run you $1000. Around here I can snag you a running vehicle with minimal rust for maybe $1500.
The only absolutely terrible portion of the rails seem to be in the front, hoping the stiffeners will bridge the structural gap. I dont mind spending the time getting it back on the road but there may come a point when the expense will shut this project down.

As for getting a new body im afraid id probably have to travel off the island to find one. Im going to have a look atound though as a contingency.

Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 1st, 2017, 17:03
lazyxj's Avatar
lazyxj lazyxj is offline
NAXJA Member #1310
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,071
Re: Regretfully looking for opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangetrek View Post
As for getting a new body im afraid id probably have to travel off the island to find one. Im going to have a look atound though as a contingency.
It might be a lot easier to take a vacation and find a body without the cancer.

That's awful amount of rust.
Good chance that many of the embedded nuts, the ones that the leaf springs, shackles and crossmember use, will strip or break loose and spin, adding many extra hours of work to repair.
Assume there is rust damage in places you can't see, up inside the unibody.
I would think the whole unibody is compromised.
How do you plan on using the XJ, once in operating condition?
__________________
Both Cherokees are still Real XJs http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...hlight=real+XJ
2001 Sport, 4 " lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, DB, R.E.-UCA, JKS-LCA, ACOS, SYE, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac-D-30-E-Locker both with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco/Sport-Trac front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, Towing baseplate
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 1st, 2017, 17:18
Hypoid's Avatar
Hypoid Hypoid is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 6,999
Re: Regretfully looking for opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
It might be a lot easier to take a vacation and find a body without the cancer...

How do you plan on using the XJ, once in operating condition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangetrek View Post
Below are a few pics of what im up against trying to make a bush rig out of my 99 xj (going out to catch a trout and the like).
Ive busted off 90% of the bolts that are removed.... do your worst folks, greatly appreciated
Keep in mind, the OP is in Canada. It may not be so simple, or so cheap for him to do the things that people "South of the Border" will do.

None the less, that is a lot of rust!
__________________
The Lost Boys' motto: We don't know where we are going, but we'll be there for awhile...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old March 3rd, 2017, 19:58
orangetrek's Avatar
orangetrek orangetrek is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Grand Falls Windsor, NL
Posts: 23
Regretfully looking for opinions

Some shot of the doors...





Drivers back is the last pic...doors are sound.

Picking at the "chassis" this evening.... i think shes salvagable!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old March 3rd, 2017, 20:03
orangetrek's Avatar
orangetrek orangetrek is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Grand Falls Windsor, NL
Posts: 23
Regretfully looking for opinions

Rear drivers side lug trouble ...

Beat the voids with a wee cold chisel then..



Its a labour if love... has to be eh
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions on this MJ? IslanderOffRoad SoCal Chapter 20 March 7th, 2012 04:39
Can I have every ones opinions please... navyblue123 Colorado Chapter 61 August 25th, 2010 21:15
Looking for opinions AppleValleySlim SoCal Chapter 16 July 19th, 2007 15:25
Need Cat Opinions black2door OEM Tech Discussion 6 December 8th, 2006 22:06
Opinions on an MJ? Phil Non-Tech / Off Topic 8 April 1st, 2004 20:16


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014