NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 22nd, 2016, 22:17
NAXJA Member

Is the stock steering pump and box enough?

When do upgraded steering pump/box or hydro assist become the way to go because the Oem setup doesn't cut it anymore?

My stock power steering has gotten weaker and weaker over the years, not sure if it's the pump or the box. The box always had a slow leak from the sector shaft and the pump would sometimes spill out of the reservoir cap. I also had to clearance the front skid a few times because the adjustment collars on the steering would bind up on it. I am sure that didn't help whatever was going out.

Anyways when it worked 100% it seemed to be enough for me. idk if that was when I was still on 31's though. I am currently on 33/10.50s with selectables F/R. I figured I would still be fine on stock and Hydro assist would be overkill. At one time I was thinking of getting a Psc pump and Box but idk if I want to spend the extra if I don't need it.

What do you guys think, is the stock Pump/Box enough? If so I will Prob get a new pump and add a filter and cooler. If that doesn't do it I would replace the box. I have been ignoring it and fighting the steering for way too long (years). It sucks at a dead stop so of course it's worse on trail.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 22:37
NAXJA Member

Re: Is the stock steering pump and box enough?

looks like I could get a rebuilt Pump and box, w cooler, and filter at Autozone for $271 before the core returns of $25 and $16. That is going to be hard to beat since I think stock should fit my needs. Money is tight anyway because of a trip to go wheel in Silverton CO in Aug. but that's also the reason I want my steering fixed!
Old June 23rd, 2016, 06:47
NAXJA Forum User

Stay away from Autozone. Very bad luck with their reman'd boxes. Went through two with horrible dead spots. Adjusting voids the 'lifetime warranty' as well.
https://youtu.be/UPRNA8CWHPk

Myself and a few others picked up the Lares box from Rockauto, and so far have been pretty happy with it. I'm running my stock pump on 31s and it's easier to drive than my GF's '14 CRV. A friend and fellow Jeeper has an '01 on 33s and stock box and pump, with no issues as well.

Sounds to me like it's the pump with the symptoms you describe. not enough flow to push your wheels around. Get a junkyard pump, they are cheap and usually still in good shape, and see if anything changes.

Also, what adjustment collars are you speaking of, the ones for the draglink and tie rods? You have under or over the knuckle steering? If so, and they hit your skid, sounds like the geometry is wrong, or the skid is misaligned.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 07:07
NAXJA Forum User

YJ/Waggy box has a better fixed ratio, good cooler and quality fluid helps a ton
Old June 23rd, 2016, 08:39
NAXJA Member

I just went through a similar situation - pump was slowly dying and the original box had a leak. I went with the following:

Lares 1353 box from Rockauto. $57.79 + $50 core.
PSC SP1205C pump and reservoir, $235.

The PSC pump is a new pump, slightly modified to provide more pressure. At least that's what I see looking at the high pressure fitting in the pump as compared to original.

I also installed a Magnefine filter and Derale cooler and SWEPCO 715 PS fluid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I run 35's and this system works good. Although it has it's limitations in the rocks, I'll keep it as is, until I upgrade the 30.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 12:28
NAXJA Member

Stock should be good for 31s. You can drill the pump outlet to get a little more fluid flow, no problem turning my 32s. After that you are probably looking at higher pump pressure, eg the WJ pump upgrade. Might need a new gear box in there somewhere. After that you're probably going hydro.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 12:38
NAXJA Member

I turn my heavy 33's with one finger on a completely stock steering setup, if that helps any.

SeXJ Build Thread
Old June 23rd, 2016, 13:33
NAXJA Member

get a quality pump, add a cooler into the system, and consider running a smaller pulley if that doesn't do it. a quality stock box should work fine for you .

1998 4.6 stroker , aw4 XJ on 60/14b , 5.38s, grizzly/detroit, cage, 40s, psc big bore box , assist, 3 link,transgo aw4 reprogram
Old June 23rd, 2016, 16:39
NAXJA Member

Durango box and WJ pump upgrade makes my 33's turn with a pinky. Great set-up and fairly cheap. Did mine with a cooler, filter and all new lines for about $300 total. Rockauto prices though. Just a thought if you want a solid set-up over stock.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 19:55
NAXJA Member

Shouldn't need assist unless you're finding yourself bound up in rocks.
Old June 24th, 2016, 06:50
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
Shouldn't need assist unless you're finding yourself bound up in rocks.

My stock pump did well enough in this situation on 33s.
Old July 4th, 2016, 23:18
NAXJA Member

Thanks for the advice guys, it looks like we are going to go with the Lares box. As for the rest I am still on the fence about some of it, lol. Mainly because I had more repairs on the XJ and car hauler than I expected before this trip.

The Derale cooler Ronbo posted looks awesome and probably cools better but at almost $70, I am leaning toward a cheaper option like this for $20 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...V7LDN4P 7B47B

Same thing with the filter The magnefine is $35 but this one can be had for $14 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TVPDKIKX 0DER

I think maybe those two don't matter as much, but how much does the high quality fluid make a difference? The swepco 715 fluid can be had for around $60 but a cheapo brand would be more like $15.

I think I am most conflicted about the high quality fluid and the pump itself. I am leaning heavily toward the PSC pump. However a new or re-manufactured Lares pump from rockauto would be less than 1/2 what the PSC pump costs. I am still leaning toward the PSC pump because otherwise I have just refreshed the steering (really all it needs I think). It would be nice to get some upgrade but is it going to be a noticeable difference over the Lares pump?

I guess I will sleep on it and see if you guys have any more input and put in the order tomorrow.
Old July 6th, 2016, 16:48
NAXJA Forum User

before I went full hydro I had a YJ box and stock pump with the outlet drilled, cheap fluid would foam up quicky, with a good cooler and lucas fluid id never have that problem, now I run a PSC full hydro kit with a derale heatsink cooler and swepco fluid and no issues even on the hottest days. both setups was turning 42's.
Old July 6th, 2016, 16:52
NAXJA Forum User

cooler I had with the old setup, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13212

fot the price it worked great, anytime the steering would get hot id turn on the aux fan and it cool things down

cooler I have with the PSC kit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13254/overview/

don't cheap out on fuid even prestone is garbage
Old July 6th, 2016, 22:37
NAXJA Member

Thanks for the info!

We went with the PSC pump and decided it would be stupid to run cheap fluid through it so we got the Swepco fluid.

We got a new return line and went with the Cheaper filter and cooler I posted. I would have gotten the one Rob posted, but I saw it too late. The high pressure line is only a few months old so I am just going to rinse it out with the new fluid and reuse it.

I will check back in after install and our next wheeling trip for future searchers. Now on to search install and bleeding procedure!