• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 comanche and a M90 blower awd build.

embs2001

NAXJA Forum User
Decided to start a build thread since i picked up a 88 comanche in real good shape.

It is a one owner and lived in Georgia its whole life. No rust and 89,xxx miles on the odo.

Its 2wd 5speed but the plan is to covert to 4wd.

Im looking for a 242 transfer case for the fulltime 4x4 feature.

I have a m90 blower off a supercoupe and a bracket to mout inplace of the ac compressor.

The theme I invision is the Jeep version of the GMC Syclone. : AWD, Boost, Black, and Lowered.

Ill swap the new front facia over once i find a black new body cherokee for parts. Im even considering puting a red "comanche" sticker across the top of the windsheild Just like the syclone.

Heading to the junk yard one day this week to get a 3.55 lsd axle. I'm also gonna grab some xj leafs to cut up and ad to the top of my stock leaf pack as lowering blocks. With a xj shackle and 1 inch of lowering block, I may be able to get a 1.5 inch drop on the rear to level the back with the front.

Interesting bracket and pretty tall too. What are your plans for the hood?

Are you planning on putting a 6-rib pulley on? The offsets I've seen are different than the 8-rib pulley and that bracket doesn't seem to have any adjustment capability.

Is that the early or later version of the T-Bird M90? The way to tell is if the intake port is oval or square. The later version flows a lot better with fewer restrictions. I cannot suggest enough to send the compressor off to Jon Bond Performance (or someone like him) to have it completely rebuilt and the rotors coated.

Its going to be close on the hood. I need to go to the junk yard and get a HO ac bracket since that is what the bracket was designed around. Then I will be able to bolt it all up and test fit.

The belt should line up and land on the pulley once installed. I will just use this pulley for now and if it gives me any problems like slip or walk I will have to figure something out for a 6 rib pulley and slotting the bracket for adjustability.

The SC is off of a 89 or so tbird. I really wanted the square port but I could not find one at the time and this one came up for a good deal. I know you can swap over the square design to the older blower. The newer blower also had coated rotors and the rotors had tighter tolerances to eachother making it slightly more efficient.

I will consider having the blower worked over in the future but for now I'm on a budget and I was told the motor it came off of had under 100xxx miles on it. However the blower is extremely dirty. The blower does not have any type of shaft play in any direction so I think for now ill just see how it does.

Its going to be close on the hood. I need to go to the junk yard and get a HO ac bracket since that is what the bracket was designed around. Then I will be able to bolt it all up and test fit.

The belt should line up and land on the pulley once installed. I will just use this pulley for now and if it gives me any problems like slip or walk I will have to figure something out for a 6 rib pulley and slotting the bracket for adjustability.

Not my choice, but ok.

The SC is off of a 89 or so tbird. I really wanted the square port but I could not find one at the time and this one came up for a good deal. I know you can swap over the square design to the older blower. The newer blower also had coated rotors and the rotors had tighter tolerances to each other making it slightly more efficient.

AFAIK the only cross-compatible part is the snout. The rotors and housing are specific to the later model. If your pre-compressor intake is built specific to the oval port it won't fit up right to the rectangular.

I will consider having the blower worked over in the future but for now I'm on a budget and I was told the motor it came off of had under 100xxx miles on it. However the blower is extremely dirty. The blower does not have any type of shaft play in any direction so I think for now ill just see how it does.

I had the same thought originally and ended up essentially buying a whole new compressor due to problems I found. I had to buy a new snout due to a cracked housing and still need to buy a new housing and rotors due to problems from the previous owner ingesting debris and scoring the walls. Mind you this was with a clean, "low mileage" M90.

Solarbell, do you know where to get a 6 rib pulley for the m90?
What did you put your m90 on? I would love to see the set up.

I think I may pull the blower apart and inspect everything. Then put some new oil in it.

The t-bird M90's have a keyed pulley, so this is the one. http://www.pulleyboys.com/store/product.php?productid=32&cat=9&page=1

EDIT: Since you found it, nevermind on the picture. It's your thread.

Be aware, if you pull it apart you need to clean off and replace the super-thin gasket material for a proper seal and tolerances. And removing the base plate from the housing can be a serious pain with the centering dowels that are used.

Im currently rereading your thread but I wanted to ask: Is there any way to leave the throttle body in the factory location or does the throttle body need to be before the SC for the bypass valve to operate correctly?

veiw this setup for reference:
IMG_0216.jpg

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...l-stroker-m90-charger-yes-yes-i-think-so.html

Any reason this wont work? I imagine you would be expecting the bypass valve to perform like a BOV when the throttle plate closes. But I do like leaving things in the stock location if possible.

That's a blow-through setup. Throttle body before the compressor is draw-through.

The bypass (aka recirculation) valve is normally closed with a spring to hold it closed. The control / actuator line is plumbed to the compressor discharge. Whenever the bypass valve actuator sees partial pressure / vacuum on the discharge it will open and recirculate. I'm not sure how the bypass valve will work in blow-through because when the engine is spun up and the throttle body closes the resulting pressure in the discharge pipe will be very high. In that situation the recirculation valve won't open because there will still be pressure in the discharge. You would probably be better off in that situation to install a blowoff valve, and that valve will be constantly open at idle since the supercharger will be generating pressure at idle against the closed butterfly in the throttle body.

EDIT - If you look closely at that picture they have put in a blowoff valve. You can see it mounted to the backside of the discharge tube. They have it routing back into the intake of the compressor rather than to outside air, which is a pretty good thing to do.

Otherwise at a minimum you'll have to to put in MAP clamping since the MAP will see well over 1 bar. Your various tuning parameters will be different too.

Short version: it can be done but with a couple of caveats.

Last edited:
Back