• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

your typical 1 ton XJ build thread

CAJJ93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
just got done beating my last xj build to death. D30 and no cage isn't gonna cut it. time to start over

the canvas for this project is a 1994 XJ / AW4 / np231

plans:
1 tons
3 link coils/leafs for now
cage
frame plates
hydro assist
37's for now
flat belly/ clocked 231

pulled the jeep into it's resting place for the next few months. the rear seemed like a good place to start

went in to ruffstuff and grabbed some mid stiffeners to add to my HDO front/rear

then started tucking the gas tank. got the fitment perfect just need to pick up some steel today and box the floor in and bolt it down

if anyone is wondering, the size for the hole you need to cut is
31.75" across
19.25" vertical
and I did mine 1" away from the plastic piece surrounding the hatch latch

went down to Fresno to pick up some axles from Robert. he was running them in his ultra4 Cherokee so they are ready to bolt-in

the width on these is about 67" and I plan to run a 5" back space wheel

rear 14 bolt
ballistic shave kit
T&T truss
full spool
5.38's
disc brakes
pinion guard
30 spline chromos
ubolt elim

front HP D60 from currie

Yukon grizzly locker
35 spline inner/outer
super joints
Yukon lockouts
5.38's
deadenbear kingpin C's/ stock ford knuckles
parts mike high steer arms

he even threw in the tie rod, drag link, and a ram

sweet

very cool. I am looking forward to this build.

well I thought for a good while on how to neatly secure the tank. decided to reuse the stock straps. started by bending them back and made a cut in order to shorten. just gotta make a tab so they can swing back. they will bolt down on the front side

here's my simple box for the tank. I think I'm going to fully weld it in. then put a 3/16" thick weatherseal inbetween the box and the tank so it seals tightly when bolted down.

and unfortunately that's it for awhile. my buddy is unavailable for the next 2 weeks on work and it's his shop

next up:
rear frame plates
gas tank skid
relocate leaf springs
and maybe pick up these rollers http://yubasutter.craigslist.org/pts/4214852649.html

oh yeah my lazy ass also ordered this clocking jig http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...=IROR&Product_Code=IR-STCCDJ&Category_Code=UP

I might have to borrow that thing from you. I would love to flatten out my cross member some more.

Looks awesome Jake. Im looking forward to watching the progress. Seeing this is making me want to actually start doing something to the axles I have. Keep it up!

sure thing Jon!

thanks Kevin I'm looking forward to it too. I still say you should do 5 lug half tons instead :thumbup:

welp. I did get the H2's. set of 4 professionally powder coated. $250 :greensmok
and they even came with some rollers! 5.38's on 33's sure are going to be a hoot

dude its coming along well. I dig it.

They are heavy,the 37x14.5 tires weight like 96 pounds each , they don't grip, they don't seem to air down as good. you'd be wasting money. wait for the right MTRs. Some dude on 37 toyos was having a hell of a time on hells revenge in MOAB when we where there. All built up with 60s yada yada but couldn't get up. those tires didn't seem to hook up even when aired down. they are for sure a bro rig tire.

got both the rear frame plates on tonight. too bad they look like crap. I think the ol' miller 350P is a little too much welder for me to handle
laughing.gif.pagespeed.ce.mfRbWMXZzH.gif

Looks fine dude. Looking real good. You have learned a lot jake. Many of us wish we would have started it just like you are doing man. Stiffeners front to back and killer axles. Plating is good. Try to keep the body don't go full buggy status yet

Looks fine dude. Looking real good. You have learned a lot jake. Many of us wish we would have started it just like you are doing man. Stiffeners front to back and killer axles. Plating is good. Try to keep the body don't go full buggy status yet

thanks man. this one is definitely getting done right I hope it lasts for a few years this time. I will be keeping it very full bodied for now. the goal is lowcog on 37's and flat belly. I want to keep it stock looking as possible and not throw a thousand pounds of steel on it

stay tuned. gonna see how much progress I can make on the leafs tonight

Brace the hell out of your track bar mount this time.

Back