• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mechman Alternators 84-01 Jeep Cherokee dual alt. setup

T to the B

NAXJA Forum User
My main concern when off roading is making sure my rig stays as close to 100% operational at all times. Even though I have a trailer....you can't take a trailer 1/2 way down trail 22...Cadillac....Rail....etc. So it's up to you to be able to get back to the parking lot....some how.

There's alot of things that can leave you stranded on the trail, and much like car theft, all you can really do is limit your probability of it happening to you.

Starters, crank position sensor, battery, ECU, alternator, fuel pump and probably some other electrical variables all run the risk of killing your day out on the trail. Sadly, some of these generally don't give you warning signs of failing and just DIE.

Its well known that I enjoy my A/C out on the trail...have for years. However, after the compressor failing, and the condenser kinda rotting out I upgraded to the Billy Grampa special of the 11$ 12v cigarette plug in oscillating fan. It works just fine.

So now, I have a gigantic heavy idler pulley that does nothing. I don't like that, and I want to put something more useful there. In steps Matt at MECHMAN ALTERNATORS. Fabs up a really simple adapter bracket where the AC comp. was and just that simple i'm running TWO alternators.

Why 2? Why not?! No...really. Like stated earlier I'm looking for dependability. I'm still running the stock near 20 year old alternator, but it's mounted really low on the Cherokees and gets exposed all the mud/dirt/dust the tires do. I just don't trust it. By running two, I have a failsafe, PLUS the advantage of a high output alternator. I haven't even half tested this system to it's full potential, but even the menial task of jumping other vehicles off, it doesn't even flicker a voltage drop.

I've used the winch on a few things here and there. They were some longer cable draws and the 300$ 3 year old Smittybilt seems to have alot more pep, especially when a good load is put on it. I can only imagine how well this work on a really hard pull or 30-45 min. worth of winching. I hope to document this here soon.

Not doing any build thread, as I just purchase what i need as I see fit, but I hope to run an on board air system and ultimately a portable welder in the near future so i'm just trying to get the foundation laid to take advantage of these future toys when I can make them a reality.

Thanks for reading, and if you need a stock replacement alternator, a high output alternator, dual setup or completely custom, Matt and his crew at MECHMAN ALTERNATORS can make your napkin drawings an operating reality. They're located just off of Cherry St. in Knoxville, TN. Search them on Facebook at MECHMAN ALTERNATORS for any inquiries you may have. I've known Matt Young a long time, and he's a good guy to know. Very knowledgeable on what he does and has his hands involved with everything from the multi battery car audio bass heavy hitters as well desert racing off road series'.

****NOTES FOR DUAL ALTY INSTALL ON A 96 JEEP CHEROKEE*****

Cherokees changed PS pumps around 96 or so, and with that said, on a pre 96 Matt was able to use the stock serp belt and the stock radiator hose on his Cherokee. Mine had a NON A/C upper radiator hose and I was not able to use my stock serp belt. I needed one appx. 1" shorter. Knowing jeep build tolerances....this may just be an oddball mix up that created the perfect storm. I'll provide the correct serp belt part number if one is needed in the pix below.

20130929_122135_zps8144e276.jpg

20130912_183650_zps0e4958af.jpg

20130912_183657_zps7916cbe1.jpg

20130912_183707_zpsa7c0139f.jpg

20130912_183720_zpsc6d73873.jpg

20130929_122121_zpse7be04ca.jpg

20130929_122354_zpsf81b2b08.jpg

The below green wire you see is for a "yes, I am working" hook up. I have not hooked it up yet. It gets tapped into a 12v switch source and there is a provided LED light that will monitor your alternator to make sure you do not have an undiagnosed failure. I'll hook mine up soon, but have just been having fun wheeling too much and watching that volt meter not drop below 14! ;)

20130929_122157_zps505b4955.jpg

This is the battery i'm using. Read REALLY good reviews on it and fits snugly in the Cherokee battery tray with minor modifications

20130929_122252_zpsede90e73.jpg

You'll need to trim the "lips" off the tray. It is a bigger battery. Then crank it sideways a tad.

20130929_122522_zpsf1b08b99.jpg

Then, you'll need to flip the stock attachment bracket upside down and mount it like below:

20130929_122537_zpsc377594e.jpg

You can see the simple yet extremely effective MECHMAN brackets here:

20130929_122458_zpsc6997798.jpg

This is the belt I used on my 96 XJ

20130929_122409_zpsa7858275.jpg

Does he have the measurements on hand for the bracket he made? And for the cables? I'm sure he could sell a few on here if he can reproduce them without having the customers vehicle at his physical location.

Is it a stock XJ alternator? Did you upgrade the wiring to handle the additional amperage?

Re: Re: Mechman Alternators 84-01 Jeep Cherokee dual alt. setup

Does he have the measurements on hand for the bracket he made? And for the cables? I'm sure he could sell a few on here if he can reproduce them without having the customers vehicle at his physical location.

He has everything you need...jus call him up.

Is it a stock XJ alternator?

No....I belive he said 140amp.

Did you upgrade the wiring to handle the additional amperage?

He has his own brand of high end cable. 1/0 I believe he used.

Back