• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on selling

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an XJ that I built, nothing too radical, but it's got an RE 4 1/2" short arm suspension, Dana 44 rear end with a Detroit locker and disc brakes and 33x12.5x15s, Goodyear MT/Rs with plenty of tread.

Anyway, I'm getting out of banging around in the woods, just don't have enough money for so many hobbies. I would like to keep the rear dif for my other XJ, but other than that I'd like to sell it off.

So would I be better off parting it out, engine first, or selling it as a whole vehicle? It's a 1994, so as a whole vehicle I don't see that it's worth much, but it has some good stuff under it, besides what I already mentioned, it's got a Super 30 kit in the front with an ARB, full skid plates, SYE. I suppose that I could always sell of the Dana 44 and build another one later as well.

What's your take on it?

My experience has been that you can get more money out of a vehicle by parting it out - if you're willing to hold out for what the parts are worth, if you're willing to do the wrenching yourself, and if you're willing to deal with all the low ballers and people that have no idea what parts they need or why. I have used Craigslist with some success. If the vehicle is in decent shape, then you can try to sell the whole thing (prices vary by region and condition) and fall back on the part out strategy.

why do you have no interest on keeping the front axle?

Simplicity. My other XJ has an Auburn limited slip in the front and that's all that I need in it. It's more street oriented with occasional excursions off road.

But in the back end I want the heavier axles of the Dana 44 as well as the disc brakes. I have somewhat larger tires on it and the factory drums are pretty weak.

most of the time parts are worth more than a whole rig. ive parted out alot of rigs that just couldnt be sold as a whole. you usually take a hit, big time, on a whole rig, unless you have a super built, super clean, low miles, late model XJ, even then, youll still take a hit .

After some thought I decided to take the lazy and quicker way out and just sell the whole vehicle.

Thanks for all of the input.

Back