• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RED 98 XJ

98REDXJ2

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
SO FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON MY THREAD GOT DELETED SO HERE WE GO AGAIN. getting back up to speed.

I've had her for about 3-4weeks now. waiting on taxes to get some money spent on er.
this is my second Cherokee, wont be my last either.
my first was a 1993 sport 4.0 high output 4x4. threw a rod bearing at 282k miles. just wasn't at all worth fixing, body was beyond shot.

So onto the new. my red 1998 xj. paid 2500$ got it with 192k miles. Its really clean inside and out aside from a few random rust spots that will get attention this summer.
Bought her with a budget lift already installed and crager d windows with 30x9.50-15 all terrains.

plans:
3more inches of lift.
31x10.50s
aftermarket front bumper.
some bedlining.
aftermarket intake.
multiple spot lights.
and down the road, front and rear lockers.

2nqgyhh.jpg

2lbbyae.jpg

first bath.
23mscig.jpg

first mod purchase: pulled a hitch from a local JY for 20 bucks.
1i0200.jpg

So I got my new to me hitch all repainted. Going to start pbing all my bumper bolts before i take it off.
also I bought red an XJ sticker as well as my self a shirt from allthingsjeep.
3499vlc.jpg

6h5m6r.jpg
sotuhf.jpg

1yqob8.jpg

Hopefully getting my tax return, going to take her to a shop to see if my carrier bearings are the cause of my hum. depending on what it really is I will most likely end up fixing it myself. and hopefully have enough to get a decent set of rear tires for now and a 3in rough country lift.

lil mud on the tires
wink.gif
was a good lil time. drove up a muddy incline it was STEEP! she handled it like a champ. not even wheel spin in 4wd. reminded me how amazing these are offroad
smile.gif

8vp5y1.jpg

yea. im going to be getting a low mileage JY axle. mechanic said my pinion bearing is probably shot and the carriers aren't going to be to great either. estimated 700$ in labor... so JY axle it is! lol. and while i do that im going to put an add a leaf in.

so parts list:
low mileage JY 8.25. new brakes for it etc.
and rough country 3in lift
better rear tires for the time being.

Unless i can score another xj! Theres been a red xj sitting in this guys yard behind some shrubbery for at least the last 5 years and hasn't moved once. so plan is to stop by and see if i can score it on the cheap :) which would be great. its probably broken but if I can get it for cheap and fix it I would for sure make a profit if i sold it. fingers crossed.
also going to attempt getting my hitch on tomorrow.

I've got a rebuilt 8.25 29sp ready to go. It was rebuilt within the last couple years. Not a lot of mileage on it. All new bearings, seals and wheel cylinders. Needs new brake hard lines.

PM me if you're interested.

So I got my hitch in today, but also finally found out how bad my cancer spot(s) were =/
looks like ill be going cut and fold this summer.
x6mzr5.jpg
k1c58p.jpg

So I cleaned it up a lil and slapped on some por-15 for the time being.
2zf9aaq.jpg
fyh7wh.jpg

and the hitch. waiting till I buy new bolts tomorrow before putting the bumper back on. I don't want to deal with the rusty bolts later on when I finally get an aftermarket bumper.
2my6yzc.jpg

In other news. I will be getting a twin to my xj for cheap. its been sitting for atleast 6years. I drive past it everyday.
plan is to swap out the rear axle into my daily and have the other one rebuilt and get twin running. I'm not sure what ill end up doing with the twin. i may fix'er up and resell it and make a lil money or even keep it. who knows.

Got my bumper back on today. repainted it with spray on bedliner. looks really good now.
I'm picking up a 98 4dr se xj for 500bucks, been sitting for atleast 6 years in the same spot. im going to swap out the axle and probably rebuild my current one. may fix up the 500$ cherokee and resell or keep or scrap it idk yet. idk how bad it is. and tomorrow im having my exhaust done. - another $170 pocket emptying continues..

So I repainted my bumper with rattle can bedliner and put it back on the heep. then got my flowmaster 40 exhaust done a few days ago.
also bought new headlights. new housings with replaceable bulbs, I'm not impressed. I don't even think they're brighter.
wqtqis.jpg

16900va.jpg

and then today i got these
smile.gif

muhh69.jpg

I bought the add a leaf cause I'm going to swap out my axle soon cause the bearings are bad and rebuilt my old one cause I need my jeep its my dd so it cant be down for over the day.

List of parts still to buy for lift:
front sway bar drop
transfer-case drop
shocks
3" front coil springs
tracbar bracket
lower control arms
drop pitman arm

So I repainted my bumper with rattle can bedliner and put it back on the heep. then got my flowmaster 40 exhaust done a few days ago.
also bought new headlights. new housings with replaceable bulbs, I'm not impressed. I don't even think they're brighter.
wqtqis.jpg

16900va.jpg

Have you upgraded the wiring yet? That will help.

JIM.

im picking up my 3rd xj tomorrow. today i stopped by and took off the flat so i could air it up an put it on when we winch it on the trailer.
I also found brand new jumper cables, couple quarts of oil, some 12g shells and some barrel cleaning parts lol.
I pulled out the spare and put in in my xj already, it was brand new on a aluminum rim that matches the other four on the one im picking up. im pretty happy with it cause it looks nice now. new spare, tire cover, and even a cargo area cover :)

Also i installed my a/c bypass pulley today

i currently have two RED 98 xjs. both SE models. the one i just picked up is a complete base model. manual everything except trans (sadly) i spent a few hours today cleaning it and swapping small things over to my current xj.

info on my new one: paid $500, been sitting for about 5years atleast, in dirt under a tree. so the rockers are totally shot but other than the rockers all the rest of the body is solid. im going to get her running and go from there. also there is a possible tranny problem, guy didnt seem to know what he was talking about but said he drove it like twice after his son was shipped of in the air force.

Lets just say its a great idea to do so.
I melted a headlight switch in the same situation.
I went with the IPF harness and it made a HUGE difference, not to mention that my switch hasn't melted.

If you want to build one yourself here is a link...

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm
ipf harness? lol i may buy it. i really dont need more work on my hands trying to make my own harness

ipf harness? lol i may buy it. i really dont need more work on my hands trying to make my own harness

Yea I picked it up with the headlights and bulbs from Rocky Road Outfitters.:anon:

Got everything installed in less than 2 hours. Paid $250 for everything if I remember right. Awesome setup IMO.

Back