• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle noise problem with video!

kayle666

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys!

so my buddy bought this 96 a month ago and we have been fixing problem after problem.

this first video is of the sound from the cab.

http://youtu.be/8Jpm96_y3DA

we lifted it and had the alignment done toe was out 1.91 inches! :eek:

convinced that it was the passenger wheel hub i swapped that out this morning. the old one did have a little play but did not cure the noise.
so this second video shows from the bottom the noise.

http://youtu.be/e2lf2kRs-Qg

yesterday we changed the front diff lube and there was no metal shavings in the housing.

so my questions are has anyone else had this problem?
here's a few of my ideas of what may be wrong?

1. gears improperly done?
2. the was a lot of rust on the axle shaft could that throw it that much out of balance?
3. axle yoke bearing?
4.bent half shaft?

im out of ideas so any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance for your time!!!!

cheers!

Might be your drive line u joints or maybe your drive shaft U joints.

There is no way there could be so much rust on the shaft to make them make noise without vibrations and if your shafts are bent you would feel really crazy vibrations.

It also may be gears not meshing correctly. Did you see any sharp points on the gears or did you check to see if the ring/carrier bearings are still tight and not loose.

Thank

to eliminate the possibility of the front drive shaft u joints i removed the front drive shaft and took it on a test drive. we did not check the ring/carrier bearings. i didnt see anything that looked abnormally sharp gear wise.

what is the procedure for checking the ring/carrier bearings?

thanks for your time!

Take the cover.off and stick a big flat.head and see if the.carrier moves at all.

okay thanks alot man! ill get back on it in the next few days i just was checking the drivers side hub assembly and there is a little bit of wobble so we will be replacing that as well.

Make sure you are torqueing it down properly. If.a unit bearing assembly isnt torqued correctly it will on last about a month at most. Believe me I learned this on the hqrd way.

Sound seems to be in time with wheel revolutions. Have you checked the simple stuff? Brake rotor rubbing dust shield? Can you hear it when rotating a tire by hand?

If you've got any movement of the wheel, it could point to the axle hub bearing.

fly, yeah i checked that stuff but i might remove the wheels and see if the noise is still there.
i have a small amount of play in the drivers wheel so i know that needs to be changed as well

Sounds to me like its a higher frequency than wheel revolutions so I am guessing pinion bearings. Check the yoke for up and down and side to side play, if there is any at all you need to replace the pinion bearings.

did i ever mention how awesome people on naxja are? john im still waiting on you to come get those beers i owe you!

Was that cracking noise part of the noise you were talking about?

That sounded like a chain hitting your tcase casing.

I picked up a noise in my front diff the other day Im trying to figure it out too. Sounds like my breaks pads are rubbing the rotor, a different kind of noise as yours all together though.

that noise sounds a lot like what I've been hearing.
I'm really curious to see what in the TC was the culprit and if his problem gets fixed. I've been hearing that noise for 2 years now, even after a new rear end.

I also have this noise, along with a lot of shimmy/vibrating, getting unbearable to deal with. Ive checked the ujoints and hub bearings, no play, did brakes and rotors with new tires, no change. Curious to see what the outcome here was

Back