• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smog ??

Rob D

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Sorry, I know this should be on one of the tech forums but I figure it most applies to us in CA. My question is how is this new law, dyno'ing for smog tests, is going to affect us with bigger tires, gears, etc? :confused: I just renewed so I'm safe till next year but figured I'd get an idea ahead of time if I'll have problems. Thanx.

Rob D

Ya, I just got mine SMOGed a couple weeks ago. Passed easily(after I got the EOD sticker for my air tube :rolleyes: ) and was looking at the dyno that will be in use come October. I asked the SMOG guy about it and he looked at my Jeep and was unsure how it would work seeing that I have non stock off road tires and non stock gears.
He did inform me the price was going up to $90!!! :eek: :mad:
I'm getting sick of the over taxation by our state. Our roads suck yet we pay more for registration and other related taxes than any other state. I'm sick of it! :mad:

Jes

Smog Check II is more concerned with the idea of actual engine loading vice the two-speed idle test, and should not affect you (unless you now have all-wheel drive/constant 4WD, which is a conversion I'm starting to consider. If all founr wheels are constantly driving, they can't Dyno you and you have to get the SCI instead of the SCII.) Expect to pay $80-90 for the SCII Dyno check (the shop had a $40 machine bill and a $10-15K install/checkout bill to pay, so that's where it comes from!) for the new test. IIRC, SCII is supposed to roll out fully in October sometime...

Jes, I agree with you. With all we pay in excise and roads-related taxes, why are roads dating back to the Holy Roman Empire still better than ours? It's not that I have an issue with taxes - but if I spend money on something I like to get what I'm paying for! I wonder if they're still thinking about tripling reg fees across the board like I heard earlier this year - it would figure, now that my tags are down somewhere civilised ($46 last year - but they were $25 per annum back home...)

5-90

I doubt there would be many problems with the dyno test. The only guys I worry about are the ones running stroker motors with high compression. I bet they pass everything but the NOX. A good rule of thumb is to get your car smogged in the morning on an mild temperature day. High outside temperatures can affect the the emissions coming from your engine.

Just come by Lehmer's in Concord and I'll give you a fair test with no BS about being lifted or having big tires. The only problem is we charge $100 for a smog.

Jes, I just went through the required smog update classes and I found an interesting passage in one of the sections regarding modifications to the air intake system. The state issued book I got says that any airtube modifactions are legal as long as all the required attachments are in place(like a PCV hose nipple and air filter attached). Sounds like the tech who smogged your car was not clear on the new law.

Bryan

Bryan C. said:
Jes, I just went through the required smog update classes and I found an interesting passage in one of the sections regarding modifications to the air intake system. The state issued book I got says that any airtube modifactions are legal as long as all the required attachments are in place(like a PCV hose nipple and air filter attached).

CAn you give us the rule number or something? I passed my smog like that (I forgot to put in the airbox and I Thought that the tech failed to notice the mod) once but it'd be good to have something to fall back on for the last minute tests...

Kejtar

Smog Regulations

Allright, got the book out. It is the Smog Check Inspection Manual, issued by the BAR, revision 6, dated Aug. 2002.

Appendix K: Smog check requirements for modifications and add-on parts. Page K-4 Category I. Items not of concern: Non-thermostatically controlled air cleaners and/or elements. (Note: Applicable PCV and/or EVAP systems must remain closed with the new air cleaner assembly installed. Additionally, any other emission related components must remain intact.)

Basically it says that you can modify the intake tube however you please but all the smog related items must be attached and it must have an air filter element of some kind. This is my interpretation of the law and also how it was presented in class.

The 87 to 90 XJ 4.0l with the thermostatic air cleaner controls would not fall under this law, but the 91+ XJs would fall under this law and would allow the mods.

I also wondered if my 99+ intake upgrade on my 96 4.0l would be OK and I found this passage:
Intake Manifolds: Any intake manifold or adapter that includes provisions for the OEM emission controls(EGR, Thermostatically controlled air cleaner, carb, thermal switches, choke stove, exhaust cross-over etc.) is acceptable. The manifold must be marketed by the manufacturer as designed for street use on emission controlled vehicles.

Bryan

So, if I could do a new airtube with the damn preheater valve and the thermostatic "bimetal element" valve on my Renix XJ's, would I be able to pass under that ruling? I ask because I've been wanting to ditch that airbox (somehow I always wind up having to work about the damn thing and killing my knuckles on things or taking it out over and over...) and go to an "open element" filter. I could use a small fireplace damper for the preheater valve, and handle the rest rather easily...

Also, is there an online source for that ruling? I'd like to print it and keep it in my truck for future use if I do the mod...

5-90

Re: Smog Regulations

Sorry, your Renix XJ 4.0l is equipped with a thermostatically controlled airbox and it would not fall under this ruling.

2 pages later the book says that any modifications to this type of air cleaner requires ARB(Air Resources Board) approved replacement part.

I looked around on the state website, but found no online listing of this book. www.smogcheck.ca.gov

Bryan

Re: Smog Regulations

Bryan C. said:
Allright, got the book out. It is the Smog Check Inspection Manual, issued by the BAR, revision 6, dated Aug. 2002.

Appendix K: Smog check requirements for modifications and add-on parts. Page K-4 Category I. Items not of concern: Non-thermostatically controlled air cleaners and/or elements. (Note: Applicable PCV and/or EVAP systems must remain closed with the new air cleaner assembly installed. Additionally, any other emission related components must remain intact.)

Woohoo... Bryan... I owe you a beer... remembering this thread helped me save the retest fee and edumacate the smog check guy :D

It'll probably catch up to me eventually, but living (and registering my vehicles) in an attainment area in California (Humboldt Co), exempts me from having to do annual smog tests on all my vehicles. Only time I have to smog is when I sell :) All I have to do for annual registration is submit the reg fee and proof of insurance.

That may explain the crappy roads up here... no annual smog fees and all...

Ivan said:
It'll probably catch up to me eventually, but living (and registering my vehicles) in an attainment area in California (Humboldt Co), exempts me from having to do annual smog tests on all my vehicles.

Ok... I'm kind of curious... I heard of this before... but I have never found out why.... so why are certain areas special? There is a place down south here that has the same deal...

Last edited:
Here's a thought - if I have prior inspeciton reports stating that my Renix XJ does NOT have a Thermostatic Air Cleaner setup, can I get away with mods to it? I'd like to be able to change things, but it's just asinine to have to revert to OEMR every two years - especially when nothing else is affected as a result!

I did keep the reports saying "Thermostatic Air Cleaner - NOT PRESENT" just in case. I've been wondering who to ask...

5-90

Kejtar said:
Ok... I'm kind of curious... I heard of this before... but I have never found out why.... so why are certain areas special? There is a place down south here that has the same deal...

I'm not exactly sure why that is, other than perhaps it's population based and/or some sort of Air Quality District special designation. Keep in mind that Humboldt County is about 4 times the size of Orange County, yet only has a population base of 119,000...for the entire county! Heck we've only got 1 Jack in the Box and 4 McDonald's in all of Humboldt County! Whatever the reason is, I'm sure as heck glad that I don't have to deal with annual smog checks... :)

Kejtar, glad I could help you out. It is amazing to me how many licensed smog techs do not really know the laws. These guys have to pass the smog check license exam every 2 years and they still are confused. I try to stay as up to date as possible regarding new laws and how to properly diagnose and repair vehicles. Apparently, techs like me are in the minority. Some techs are so scared of being cited by the state that if they see anything that even might be marginal or something they have never seen, they will fail the car and charge you to fix it. Some smog techs who do not speak english very well are given the smog check technician license exam where a translator administers the test verbally. This test is much easier due to the fact all the info is difficult to translate and thus has only about half of the normal questions compared to the written test. This is a serious loophole in the system and may be costing consumers quite a bit of money on repairs that were not needed. :soapbox:

Need to know what type of beer to buy me?
See = http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15688

The biannual smog checks are required in areas of high population, or high smog levels. Just untill recently, the bay area was a basic smog check area, but has been changed to an enhanced area requiring dyno testing. I do envy the people who only need to smog their cars when changing ownwership. I think smog technicians vehicles should be exempt. I don't think anyone in their right mind would fail their own vehicle. I just had to smog my XJ last week and it passed with flying colors. :laugh2:

5-90 - Regardless of how a previous smog tech inputted the info into the smog machine, you are still required to go by what the emissions application manual or emissions label says. But think about this, go back to the same place and try to have the same tech do the test, maybe he is really ignorant, or just doesn't care, either way he may still pass it.

Bryan

I just smoged my XJ, I had to because I just bought it.
It was almost $80 and that was with a $16 discount copon. OUCH!

Back