• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DVD screen stereo

CaptTrev

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to replace the cd player in my 1996 XJ with a flip-up screen DVD player unit.
My question is if it will fit with the dash overhang such as it is?

I have searched, and not really gotten an answer to my question.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Are there any units that definiely fit well?

Please help

THANKS,
CaptTrev

i have one in my 99 but do not know about 96 model... mine is a panasonic... run to your local car audio place and look at the models and talk to an installer not a store seller dude and see if the motorized screen will squeeze in there...

I looked into it briefly for my 95. The overhang is in the way for any flip up monitors, but there was at least one company at the time (maybe more now?) that made a flip down monitor that would have worked. Sorry I don't remember who it was...

Otherwise, if you want one with a flip up monitor you'll need to either notch the overhang to allow for the screen, or extend the mounting slot for the player. IMO it would be easiest to just extend the mount out (it also allows more room for wiring/connectors/adapters in back of the unit).

I ended up just buying a $35 adapter for my head unit so I could hook my laptop into the sound system. I guess a 15.1" screen will have to do...:rolleyes:

Re: DVD stereo screen

nhrocker - where do you mount your laptop?

Anyone know of any flip-down screen units?

I dont know how good it would turn out if I notched out my dash, or rigged the stereo to hang out of the dash 1.5" either. . . .

I think the notch could be done smoothly. You could basically cap the face of the 3 newly exposed sides. I have the camel interior so I guess I'd be looking for some thin tan plastic that I could trim to fit and then just use some adhesive. I'd rather go that route vs. having the stereo hang out that far.

If you wanna look into the laptop mount and don't want to go with the police style mounts, you can easily make something from angle. Have it bolt up using the bolts that secure the climate controls. When not in use it'll flip down and the PC sits on it. I've got pics of one that DAryl made some where and it's pretty slick.

I've thought about doing this. Would it be possible to move the AC controls up top and put the stereo in a lower slot?

I dont do a lot of road trips, but the ones I do, I take my jeep.
I also have a long commute between work, grad school and home etc.

I want to get a new cd player, and noticed the cd+dvd players with nice big screens have come down in price recently (probably due to the flooding of the market with the dvd+ navigation systems)

i dont anticipate watching alot of dvds, but would enjoy the large screen display and ability to play all sorts of cds and dvds

any flip down screen models? it wouldnt bother me to partially block the hvac controls...

Here's mine in my '01. Its the Alpine IVA-C801.It's an older unit. It just hits under the vents but I can pull it out so that it clears.
2065986_11.jpg

do you have any pics of this installed???
thanks!

EDIT: sorry, i got a red X the first time... I see the pic now

Last edited:
That's just about the only pic I have of it. If you want I can take a pic of it from the side.

Re: DVD stereo screen

CaptTrev said:
nhrocker - where do you mount your laptop?

Anyone know of any flip-down screen units?

I dont know how good it would turn out if I notched out my dash, or rigged the stereo to hang out of the dash 1.5" either. . . .
I've been trying to find my info on the flip down unit and can't find anything now.

I came up with a couple designs for mounts...then never built them. I usually only use it for music, so I just have it sitting on the passengers seat. I've watched movies on it with it sitting on the center console over the ebrake, but it wasn't while I was driving.

The idea I had thought about the most was using some full extension drawer slides coming out from the dash. I just never got around to looking for two spots that had clearance for them behind the dash. They would have put the laptop sitting above the shifter with the screen blocking the stereo and HVAC controls when open. When not in use you'd be able to just push them into the dash.

I installed a Alpine IVA800 in my XJ. I installed mine so the metal sleeve for the HU sits out a little further rather then flush on the install dash kit. It has held up for me so far but it does rattle a little.

Back