• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iron Rock Rear Shock Mounts

fyrfytr1717

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen these brought up in a few shock threads here on the JeepSpeed Prerunner Forum, but haven't heard of anyone using them successfully with a heim jointed shock. Will they work? Are the holes in the mounts (and therefore the supplied bolts) 1/2" diameter? Are the sleeves supplied for use with a bushing mounted shock? How about the width of the mount? I know there's a few different heim widths out there, but will these fit a Bilstein or an FOA?

I'd go with the JKS, but I don't like that they have to be unbolted from the body when you want to remove the shock for servicing. I'd like to remove the factory hardware (if I'm that lucky), install these, and never have to worry about those welded-in nuts again.http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...en=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-SBPEK

I think the upper shock mount out back is the right size stock for a Bilstein 7100. I'm running BPEs from Rocky Road out back and they fit my old REs with bushings and slid right into my 7100s with heims no problem. HTH

I can attest that those are beef. And the hardware is very complete.

I bought a complete set, but returned them instantly, because it's too hard to make them work with OME shocks.

Just a heads up, the ones in the picture are the FRONT BPEs. I have front and rear from them. I really like the rear, and I would like the front, except it shifts the shock over a little bit and puts the bottom of the shock so close to where it mounts that it might be against something.
and sorry, but I don't know about whether or not they'll work with a heim jointed shock. I've never run any.

Here's a picture of the rear BPEs:
IMG_9599.JPG

Just a heads up, the ones in the picture are the FRONT BPEs. I have front and rear from them. I really like the rear, and I would like the front, except it shifts the shock over a little bit and puts the bottom of the shock so close to where it mounts that it might be against something.
and sorry, but I don't know about whether or not they'll work with a heim jointed shock. I've never run any.

Here's a picture of the rear BPEs:
IMG_9599.JPG

Thanks for the pic, I just looked again and still can't find it on their website. Well that makes more sense now seeing the picture of the rear ones. I was afraid they used the same design as the front ones I pictured above for the rear shocks. I like them even better now that I can see them. When you get a chance, do you think you could measure the diameter of the bolt for me and tell me if it's a 1/2" or not?

Seeing as the weekend is over now, I guess I could just call them tomorrow and find out for sure... :callme:

Not quite sure what you were referring to with your link... Were you suggesting I weld tabs onto the bottom of my XJ, or weld up some mounts of my own?

I'm taking a welding class next semester, but even then, if these are the proper size that I'm looking for I'd rather pay the $30 for the mount and all necessary hardware rather than try to piece together my own. I just don't think (in my situation) the cost savings would be worth it.

I will however be using these (from your link) at the axle end of the shock.

Axle%20Side%20Shock%20Bracket.jpg

I think the upper shock mount out back is the right size stock for a Bilstein 7100. I'm running BPEs from Rocky Road out back and they fit my old REs with bushings and slid right into my 7100s with heims no problem. HTH

Hadn't come across Rocky Road's yet. These the ones you're using? Aren't the bolts running the wrong way?

Thanks for the pic, I just looked again and still can't find it on their website. Well that makes more sense now seeing the picture of the rear ones. I was afraid they used the same design as the front ones I pictured above for the rear shocks. I like them even better now that I can see them. When you get a chance, do you think you could measure the diameter of the bolt for me and tell me if it's a 1/2" or not?

Seeing as the weekend is over now, I guess I could just call them tomorrow and find out for sure... :callme:
I can try to tomorrow, but if its too small, you could always drill it larger and get new hardware... wouldn't take more than a few minutes

HEADS UP!!! I have to call iron rock today and complain. They didnt advertise that there rear shock mounts wre different than their front when i bought them. I bouht them for the SOLE reason that i thought they would not turn the orientation of the rear shock mount. As someone said before, the front Shock mounts from Iron Rock work perfect and dont turn the shock.

In the rear, mine WONT even bolt up! When i received the package i called and complained that they werent as advertised, and that turning the rear shock mount 90* is said to be bad for the shock. SOOOO their sales tech told me on the phone that the email posted FROM Monroe on NAXJA about turning one shock mount 90* is bad must be wrong. I kind of argued with him for a few and then sucked it up and figured I would try to install them anyway. I have 6" of lift on my Jeep.

The Front BPE's installed perfectly, the Rear wouldnt even bolt up to the shock. Where they turn the mount 90*, it messes up the "pivot" at the top which allowed the shock to be mounted diagonally. These BPE's are nothing better than using your stock rear sway bar brackets. I plan to call Iron Rock today and complain not only about this product, but that their service tec fed be all his BS that they all run them on heir lifted rigs with no modifications or problems. Bull s***.

Just for reference though. Other than this issue, their service was pretty good, i Reveived my order quick, the front BPE's work great, and the Tie Rod i ordered was a GREAT DEAL at 66$ and looks like it will work fine, as i Haven't installed it yet.

p.s. sorry for the typos. I really need to clean my keyboard!!

HEADS UP!!! I have to call iron rock today and complain. They didnt advertise that there rear shock mounts wre different than their front when i bought them. I bouht them for the SOLE reason that i thought they would not turn the orientation of the rear shock mount. As someone said before, the front Shock mounts from Iron Rock work perfect and dont turn the shock.

In the rear, mine WONT even bolt up! When i received the package i called and complained that they werent as advertised, and that turning the rear shock mount 90* is said to be bad for the shock. SOOOO their sales tech told me on the phone that the email posted FROM Monroe on NAXJA about turning one shock mount 90* is bad must be wrong. I kind of argued with him for a few and then sucked it up and figured I would try to install them anyway. I have 6" of lift on my Jeep.

The Front BPE's installed perfectly, the Rear wouldnt even bolt up to the shock. Where they turn the mount 90*, it messes up the "pivot" at the top which allowed the shock to be mounted diagonally. These BPE's are nothing better than using your stock rear sway bar brackets. I plan to call Iron Rock today and complain not only about this product, but that their service tec fed be all his BS that they all run them on heir lifted rigs with no modifications or problems. Bull s***.

I was just thinking about that this morning... Obviously the stock bar pins run parallel to the bolt holes so it's the Iron Rock ones that are turned 90*, not the Rocky Road's as I had alluded to earlier. :gee:

So they don't mount up at all? Out of curiosity, what type of shocks were you installing? Was there not enough room for the bushing/heim eyes, or did the orientation cause the angle to be too extreme to get the bolts through the shock ends? I know I've read a lot about the front shocks being mounted with the pivot points parallel vs perpendicular depending on whether your intended use is go-fast or extreme articulation, but I must have missed the thread on the rear shocks.

there was plenty of room for the bushings, it was the fact that they turned the shock 90* and the angle became too great for the shock to go in to the bracket, with out having that pivot point. As you said the pivot point that was in the stock mounting is turned perpindicular and wont allow it to articulate. I can't imagine why they sell these like this. I would have to bend the upper shock like 25* to make it fit, and we all know that would be a big no no and absolutely destroy shocks...lol

My shocks are just plain jane Rusty's shocks. I imagine they are the same as everyone elses plain jane shocks, like RE's dt3000's

What im really ticked the most about is that on the phone, even after i lodged my complaint the guy proceded to tell me stuff that must be false, unless they modified there rigs mounting, whic would defeat the purpose of these altogether....

-Brian

p.s I'll be talking to them today

What im really ticked the most about is that on the phone, even after i lodged my complaint the guy proceded to tell me stuff that must be false, unless they modified there rigs mounting, whic would defeat the purpose of these altogether....

-Brian

p.s I'll be talking to them today

Any updates on this? Did they have some legitimate way of making them work?

I called and spoke with them. I told him my problem and they couldn’t understand why it would happen. The person in particular said he ran them on a Jeep with a similar lift to mine. He did however say that apparently they wouldn’t work for my application and that I could return the part. The mounts were 30$ and I figure after I paid to ship them back, just to get a 30$ credit on my account it wouldn’t be worth it. After all I would probably only make 20$ back in the end and it wouldn’t be cash, know what I mean???

However I do appreciate them willing to hold up their part of the deal and accept it back. They had good service, returned my phone calls promptly and everything was fine.

The tie rod I ordered was coarsely threaded, and was difficult to install. I just had it put on yesterday, hopefully my ends hold in well, we’ll see, but so far so good!

All in all I give Iron Rock a good rating, They may however fine to their parts to be more competitive. Cheap prices are only attractive if the parts are up to par!!!

-Brian

So here's another variation of these brackets from TeraFlex.

Same deal as Iron Rock's where it would turn the upper heim/bushing 90* when compared to the stock orientation. I'm figuring if there are multiple manufacturers making these brackets in this same manner, there must be some way to mount them up. Anyone successfully using these (or any other variation) on their rig?

I plan on moving my lower mounts up so they are even with the bottom of the rear axle. I've got a JKS Crossover mount sitting in my garage but am hesitant to install it as I'm really not too excited about running the shocks at that steep of an angle. I'm just trying to figure out a better option that will allow me to stop messing with the factory bar pin weld nuts, will allow me to use heim jointed shocks, will not use up too much shock length, and that would mount the shocks at close to the stock angle. I still like Iron Rock's design the best as it's clean and uses up very little shock length, however it's looking like Rocky Road's (or making my own) are going to be the best options if the Iron Rock brackets won't bolt up properly. Any suggestions?

I decided to run my Iron Rocks anyway!!! they have been working fine ever since. I called them and they said ti was fine to run them, then i got to tinking about it. My shocks are just cheapo rustys, and i can freely rotate them in either direction i want, as much as i want, in any position i want. soooo...

I tried some of my buddies RE shocks and low an behold, they turned freely too. I ration it in my head that, if a shock is going to be damage by rotating it because the valving is gettiing screwedup, the manufacturer would have made it to where it wouldn't turn. That would be so simple to do, I am sure they would have done it if it hurts a shock to rotate it.

It used to be really easy to cut your finger off on saws, then they made guards. If it was really easy to XXXX up a shock by rotating it, Then they'd make it to where it wasn't easy to rotate!!

Use those IRO mounts!!!

I'm no shock tech, but I call BS on rotating a shock being harmful. If it was a problem they wouldn't have put a stud top on the fronts, or on any vehicle for that matter. I'm sure if it was spinning in there at high speed something bad could/might happen, but turning it to mount it won't damage anything internally. The only downside I would see is it would put the mounts on different axis if it were an eye/eye style shock, putting extra stress on the mounts and the bushings/heims in the shock itself. It could cause it to bind slightly I suppose, which may damage the internals, maybe that is why they are saying that it shouldn't be rotated?

I think the whole "rotate the rear shock" issue is more about lining up the bolt through a bushing. The bushing might not be be sitting "flat" at ride height, making it hard to install, and possibly causing accelerated wear on the bushing. "Shouldn't be a problem for a heim as long as the angle doesn't cause binding on the joint.

I think the whole "rotate the rear shock" issue is more about lining up the bolt through a bushing. The bushing might not be be sitting "flat" at ride height, making it hard to install, and possibly causing accelerated wear on the bushing. "Shouldn't be a problem for a heim as long as the angle doesn't cause binding on the joint.

This is exactly what I was getting at and is also what I thought I understood the issue to be when brianglawson was reporting that he was having issues with the IRO mounts. I see zero problem with mounting the shock with the eyes perpendicular vs. parallel, so long as you can get the bolt through the eye and so long as the suspension can cycle through it's entire range of motion without binding up the heims.

So, it sounds like brianglawson has been successful using these mounts with his bushing equipped shocks. Anyone know if the heims have enough range of motion to be mounted this way? I know there's not that much side to side movement going on with the rear shocks, but I think there's enough when going from full stuff to full droop that it could be a problem if the heims were close to maxed out at ride height.

I guess the overall amount of lateral movement would probably depend a lot on the position of your axle end mounts (in relation to the factory upper mounting location). Further outboard would cause more side to side movement as the suspension cycles while further inboard would cause them to move mostly up and down. The upper bar pin bolts already point outboard so that should only help matters. If there's room for them, misalignment spacers should help out even more. Think I'll give the IRO's a go and see what happens. Now I just have to pick which shocks to run...

Still curious, is anyone is using these mounts with heim ended shocks?

Back