• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instrument Cluster - Custom Gauges

John D

NAXJA Member # 788
So, I basically finished up doing the 5.3L / 4L60E swap last September. One of my goals was to maintain the OEM Jeep instrument cluster to save the appearance of a stock Jeep.

I ran the Jeep PCM in tandem with the Chevy PCM. I spent some money and time plumbing the 5.3L with Jeep sensors and everything should have work, it didn't. You see, the gauges are fed (I think it starts in '97) by the signals being multiplexed through a buss going from the PCM to the instrument cluster. Even so, my theory was that the proper sensor would feed the Jeep PCM and send the signal to the dash. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. It appears in my case, that the Jeep PCM is going into a sort of auto-shutdown. Countless hours of research (wire diagrams, web searching, interviews with Mopar experts, and seat of the pants troubleshooting) have proven that it is not an auto-shutdown. What happens in my case is, when you go ‘key-run’ all of the Jeep gauges light up and read accurately. When you go ‘key-run/start/run’ the gauges "freeze" wherever they are and will not go up or down until it goes ‘key-off/run’ again. The computer drops communication with the instrument cluster through the start-run cycle. I have spent countless hours over the last six months trying to make this work and I cannot. It is unfortunate because I really wanted my dash to look factory.

I decided with warmer weather and the prospect of driving the Jeep again approaching it was time to give up and go another route. I bought a set of AutoMeter Phantom gauges, and a blue, amber, red and two green led lights from Summit.

Original Jeep cluster minus the pointers and electronics behind.
DSCN2576-1.jpg

Disassembled.
DSCN2573.jpg

DSCN2574.jpg

Gutted the Jeep cluster, and painted black.
DSCN2609.jpg

Fabbed up the new gauge mounting panel, painted black.
DSCN2607.jpg

Test fit into Jeep cluster.
DSCN2610.jpg

Test fit gauges into panel.
DSCN2604.jpg

Fitting bezel around gauges.
DSCN2601-1.jpg

LEDs mounted.
DSCN2612.jpg

Gauges mounted in the dash.
DSCN2614-1.jpg

DSCN2615.jpg

Overall, I am happy with the way it turned out. I would be happier if it was the OEM cluster, but sometimes you just have to move on.

John, what are the prospects of getting a pre 97 cluster to work? It does not help you at all, but this is something I have been thinking about for a while. It would be nice to have the factory gauges work.

It may be even simpler in that I would be trying to get a 1989 cluster to work.

WOW!! That looks sick!! Looks like they fit just perfectly haha. Very cool to incorporate the guages into the factory set up, and I really like the lights you put in. 10 for 10 man!! awesome job!

John, what are the prospects of getting a pre 97 cluster to work? It does not help you at all, but this is something I have been thinking about for a while. It would be nice to have the factory gauges work.

You should have no problems at all with the pre-'97, except for the tach as long as you run both Jeep and Chevy PCMs and sensors. I have a friend with a '96 and a 5.7L and everything works except the tach. Last I checked there is still no fix for this. The guys at Dakota think they are getting close to finishing developement on a unit to convert the Jeep tach signals. The TJ guys have this same issue and Dakota knows there is a market for it. Check with them before you move on it for the latest. They are good people to deal with. They spent a lot of time with me for free.

I would think that the pre-96 gauges would work easier. AS they do not have all the complications of OBDII. With to correct sensors I believe they will work.
Do not have a V8 swap YET, so I can say for sure. But do no see why they wouldnt.

I wanna do a v-8 swap in my cherokee where can I find the info on what parts and motor are needed for the swap. I always wanted to put a grand cherokee 5.2L in or something. any help would be awesome. I just really want a v-8 I love the power and sound of one.

check out the LSx swap 2 or three lines down. Or you can check the link on Frank's sig.

LSx is going to be easier and cheaper than a 5.2. The 5.2 is just not that great of a motor.

check out the LSx swap 2 or three lines down. Or you can check the link on Frank's sig.

LSx is going to be easier and cheaper than a 5.2. The 5.2 is just not that great of a motor.

Agreed... the 5.2L would be a waste of time and money.

There are a few threads around here that cover most of what is required.

very very slick.

ive PMed you before but never gotten a response. im very eager to do this to my 99 stroker, but electronics are not my friend. are there any major hurdles in doing a swap like this with the stock OBDII?

again... mad props.

John D.. is your oil pressure gauge elec or mech?

very very slick.

ive PMed you before but never gotten a response. im very eager to do this to my 99 stroker, but electronics are not my friend. are there any major hurdles in doing a swap like this with the stock OBDII?

again... mad props.

Sorry... thought I replied. I would guess that it would be the same in that the Jeep PCM expects to see Jeep sensors and the Auto Meter gauges expect to see Auto Meter sensors. Just have to plumb them and wire them. The wiring isn't that difficult. You will just need the pinouts for the connector that originally went to the Jeep cluster (turn signal, hi beam, brake). The only snag I see is the check engine light, that might be sent over the buss.

im very eager to do this to my 99 stroker, but electronics are not my friend. are there any major hurdles in doing a swap like this with the stock OBDII?
If you are using the stock PCM why would you need to replace the factory gauges?

The stock tach requires a 6-cylinder signal so it won't read correctly with the signal from a V8.

Yeah, I know that. It was in reference to the stroker.

If you are using the stock PCM why would you need to replace the factory gauges?
its not a matter of need to, but rather a want. i like the look, thats pretty much it.

Some people don't like the accuracy of the factory gauges, especially if they have spent money building an engine. The Jeep PCM will not run the aftermarket gauges.
but with that said, guess i can look to save the money for future ventures. gracias sir.

Back