• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headers 00-01

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
what is the difference between the headers on a pre 00 XJ?
Many websites sell separate headers for those years?

in 2000, emissions changed so you have 2 pre-cats. instead of a single outlet on the header, there are two outlets that branch into the precats. after the precats, the downpipe becomes a single pipe....

I hope that makes sense :D

Visual Reference.

borla01.jpg

57-2015%20300.jpg

I thought that was only California emissions? I guess not?

Ill have to look at my Jeep this weekend. Being away at college is really hampering my jeep knowledge.

I'm still trying to figure out how I got a supposed Cali Emission-equipped 2000 XJ that was sold originally at a dealership in Texas and spent it's entire life in either TX or NM.....

I'm still trying to figure out how I got a supposed Cali Emission-equipped 2000 XJ that was sold originally at a dealership in Texas and spent it's entire life in either TX or NM.....

Same here, spent it's entire life in OH, MI, and IN

As for the OP question, they aren't factory, but should give you an idea in the difference.

99 and earlier header:
BorlaExhaustFlowHeader.jpg

00 and later header
Borla17202.jpg

After market replacement down pipe with pre-cats for TJ, haven't found one for XJs yet:
mpe-50209_w.jpg

Last edited:
So if I was putting in a whole new exhaust, everything past the manifold including the cat. Could i run a 99- header?

I guess you could, but then you will start having the problem that caused the change to the 00+ manifolds, the 99- manifolds are notorious for cracking at the bottom collector.

Also, if you have the cali emission package you have to weld in two O2 bungs on the manifold for the upstream O2 sensors, and you then would have to do something with the two down stream sensors.

I'd wire the two downstream sensors together and use the bung behind the main cat....

I have an 01 that is California equipped also. I think finding headers for it is just going to be an impossibility. Not like it will improve performance that much anyways.

what is the difference between the headers on a pre 00 XJ?

2000 and 2001 use the 0331 which is different than the 0630 head 1999 and older Cherokees have. The 0331 exhaust ports were re-sized and moved. Manifolds/headers for a 1999 and older Cherokee will not seal the exhaust ports on an 0331 head. Headers and stock exhaust manifolds must match the head you have, which is why the manifold/header sellers have the date ranges listed.

Some 2000 and 2001 have the 4 sensors and the pre-cats and some don't.

You have it backwards. A header for a 99 and older will seal a 0331 head. Its the 0331 stock manifold that won't seal the older heads. I have heard of people using the newer manifolds on older heads, but I didn't even like the way the newer gasket looked on the older head. I have heard that an aftermarket 0331 header will work with a 0630 head though as the header ports are larger.

Back