• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Stroker custom parts

XJtattoo

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry this is kinda long winded . . .
So I'm finally starting to assemble my stroker engine, more on that later. I had 2 clearance issues to deal with as I was going along, and wasn't happy with the solutions that I found readily available to rectify them.
First the nvh brace on the main caps not clearing the crank and rods, heard of people using washers, I figured I'd make it stronger while clearing the crank. I found a guy to bend up a new brace for me that was 1/4" steel with and extra 1/4" clearance underneath, he bent it and punched out the holes. This new brace did not clear the oil pan so I cut, bent, welded and ground to my hearts content and ended up with a pan that has plenty of clearance and has a skid on the bottom, I used 1/8" steel for all the added sections and the skid.
Second was the valve cover clearance to clear the yella terra roller rockers, said a valve cover spacer was neccesarry. I didn't like this option because of the valve cover gaskets leaking to commonly, why make it worse with two gaskets. I had a couple of extra valve covers so I decided to use 2 covers to make 1.
Here are some pictures of the projects. I didn't take pictures of the oil pan as I was building but I think you'll be able to see where material was added.
. . . the nvh brace
100_0135.jpg

the bottom of the pan compared to a stock one
100_0137.jpg

here's the front of the pans
100_0138.jpg

here's the top of the pans, I added an extra plate over the sump, I saw someone do that before, thought it was a good idea.
100_0140.jpg

the only downfall I've found is that the pan weighs quite a bit more that stock.

I started with the 2 valve covers, cut one low and one high (can't remember my measurements right now.
100_0077.jpg

Using taller bottom piece and the taller top piece I clamped them together with some but weld clamps I found and HF, they are the cats a**!!!
100_0081.jpg

I bolted the cover to a spare cylinder head and started tacking it together
100_0083.jpg

Finished welding and ground it smooth
100_0090.jpg

cleaned it all up and painted it. give the top of the engine a little style.
100_0134.jpg

The valve cover looks nice. Whenever I get around to mine I'm probably going to have to do the same to make more room in the pan, I might be making the pan deeper in order to hold more oil as well.

Don't forget to lengthen the oil pickup tube. I would also think about some baffles for the pan.

Don't forget to lengthen the oil pickup tube. I would also think about some baffles for the pan.

I forgot to mention that. I'm thinking about using some 1 to 2 inch strips at a downward angle to keep the oil from sloshing up the sides and back; maybe it'll help with windage as well.

I admire your determination to make it all work, especially the mods you've done to the oil pan, main cap girdle, and valve cover.

From cat's ass:

To dog's danglies:

I hope you'll still be able to close the hood with the taller valve cover. I don't know why you didn't have enough clearance for the YT roller rockers 'cause mine cleared fine under the stock valve cover.

I used a piece of clay in a plastic bag to check for hood clearance before I started, there was plenty. The adjustable roller rocker arms list as requiring a valve cover spacer.

Good job, man. Yes the adjustable YT 6328s need a spacer, but the non-adjustable 1.7:1 6628s and the 1.6:1 6627s do not.

Nice. I don't care for the spacer but I use it. I have thought about the double valve cover, but I don't weld. Even with my stock brace and the two washers the pan didn't clear. Massaged it with a BFH.

How much taller is your new valve cover?

Due to some encouragement from my friends and co-workers, and now some demand, these valve covers are now for sale. Each cover is made to order so lead time is a couple weeks, PM me if interested.
I apologize if this doesn't belong here.

thats an amazing finish.. love the red and black.

Nice work!!

Back