• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel is askew after RE TB install...HELP!!

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
So I replaced the stock trac bar with an RE, heim jointed one. I drilled out the frame side mount to 5/8" and used thread locker where needed during the reinstallation.

To center the axle under the xj, I rocked the XJ back and forth with no TB on at all. I noticed the steering wheel turning when I did this, so I turned the wheel until it locked up, and set the parking brake. I reinstalled the adj. TB and everything was proper, but here is the conundrum:

The steering wheel is now off by 90* clockwise.

The axle is centered, and there are no steering issues(wobbles, shimmies or shakes). The PS pump cycles only when the wheel is turned. Everything is normal except the steering wheel is off by 90*

What caused this, and how do I correct it? Thanks

Fergie

Uhh, either pay a shop $75 or loosen up the sleeve on your tie rod and spin it around a few times until wheel is straight. Then re-tighten the sleeve.

SeanP

Fergie said:
So I replaced the stock trac bar with an RE, heim jointed one. I drilled out the frame side mount to 5/8" and used thread locker where needed during the reinstallation.

To center the axle under the xj, I rocked the XJ back and forth with no TB on at all. I noticed the steering wheel turning when I did this, so I turned the wheel until it locked up, and set the parking brake. I reinstalled the adj. TB and everything was proper, but here is the conundrum:

The steering wheel is now off by 90* clockwise.

The axle is centered, and there are no steering issues(wobbles, shimmies or shakes). The PS pump cycles only when the wheel is turned. Everything is normal except the steering wheel is off by 90*

What caused this, and how do I correct it? Thanks

Fergie

See my reply on JU where you posted

Back